How-to: Rogue Key for the Xterra - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOWN POCKET View Post
Will this work on the 2006 Xterra S?

It work for 2005 and up Xterras. So yes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Noobie
2012 Xterra S(2wd)

Talking

I just did this mod after having a Euro key mod (that I felt was too large anyway)fail on me. I have a 2012 Xterra S and it worked great. Got the key cut at Lowe's. Turns out they do transponder programing/copying but for some reason they couldn't copy mine. So I just did what everyone else here did and used my valet key transponder, then programmed the remote for my car(very easy) and boom! Great new small footprint key!

Thanks for the How-To jeff_redx
post #43 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

I'm slow , just so i'm clear there are two options correct?

step one : buy rogue key

step two: have key cut with stock key as the guide

step three: this is where there are options.

1. follow the programming sequence to link key to your car
or
2. cut out your transponder and glue it into the new key

-Travis-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Noobie
2012 Xterra S(2wd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdu4ia View Post
I'm slow , just so i'm clear there are two options correct?

step one : buy rogue key

step two: have key cut with stock key as the guide

step three: this is where there are options.

1. follow the programming sequence to link key to your car
or
2. cut out your transponder and glue it into the new key
You are close! Here was my process:

1. Buy Rogue key(I did it from eBay)
2. Take transponder from valet/old key and put it in Rogue key
3. Go to Lowe's and very friendly like explain what you would like done. They will look at you weird and say they might not be able to do it (depending on skill). The key fits a 38 size cartridge I believe. Remember that so you can tell em.
4. Follow the instructions here to program the remote control part of the key to your car. You'll have to do this for ALL of your keys at once I believe and you can do a maximum of four remotes. At which point your oldest key will be deleted and you'll be stuck with the newest four.
5. PROFIT!

P.S. - If you don't have a valet key... or you bought 3 Rogue keys because you just couldn't handle the excitement (like me). You'll have to find a capable locksmith or local Nissan dealer that can program the Transponder for you without raping you in price. I've done extensive research over the weekend and programming this thing buy yourself isn't possible to do.

Last edited by gl1tchy; 07-14-2014 at 10:20 AM.
post #45 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the informative thread.

I purchased a $9 Nissan Rogue key from Ebay (doesn't have the genuine Nissan logo on back of it). The key comes with a transponder and battery, but I removed the transponder out of my valet key and swapped it out with the one in the new key.

Drove to Lowes and told the key clerk I'm trying to copy keys. He read some chart behind the counter and said he knew what cartridge to use. 15 seconds later, the key was copied. I asked if I should pay for the key cutting, but he said it wasn't necessary.

Followed the procedure posted by the OP on how to program the remote. It was super easy. Get in vehicle. Lock doors manually (via the door panel). Put key in and out of ignition 6-7 times then the hazard lights will flicker once. At that point, re-insert the key into the ignition and turn 1 click to the ACC setting. Press any button on the remote. It's programmed. Then do the same with other remotes if you still want to use the old ones.

Overall, a great value at $9 total cost.

-Tastefully modded & slightly abused-
post #46 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 PM

So the guys with the rogue key, do you think the panic button is truly less sensitive? I set mine off constantly.

2006 Xterra SE Silver

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
post #47 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM
2006 Super Black Xterra SE

I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I did this mod last year (back when I was just lurking on the board) and I'm really happy with it. I bought a blank key from ebay for less than $20 and swapped the chip over. Took it to Wal Mart and they said they couldn't cut those kinds of keys. Whatever. Went to a local locksmith. He charged me $25 which is kind of outrageous, but at least I was sure it would be cut right. I realized after the fact that I should have gone to the hardware store and it probably would have been cheaper. I programmed the keyless entry sitting in a parking lot and it's worked great ever since.
I always thought the seperate key and fob was kind of clumsy and this is so much easier to carry.

When I took my X into the dealership to get a wheel bearing replaced the service writer was really impressed with my key and asked me how I got it to work haha.

And I don't think I've hit the panic button once since doing this swap.

In fierceness and rage he paws at the ground.
He smells the battle from afar, he turns not back from its thunderous sound.
He rushes out to meet the sword, he laughs at fear and is not dismayed.
post #48 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Noobie
2008 Red Alert Xterra "S"

has anybody tried to use the flip out new body style Rogue key (H0561-4BA1A) ?
post #49 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran
2011 Red Brick Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4sho View Post
has anybody tried to use the flip out new body style Rogue key (H0561-4BA1A) ?
I've seen those on ebay but I'm not convinced they are made by Nissan. The new style Rogues are all push button start and use the same intelligent key as all the other models.

Brian & GarfieldX Never Stop Exploring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 05:07 PM
2010 Xterra Offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramness View Post
I've seen those on ebay but I'm not convinced they are made by Nissan. The new style Rogues are all push button start and use the same intelligent key as all the other models.
The base, new body style rogue does in fact use a flip out key blade. It's a regular turn key ignition. The sv and up is push button.

I haven't tried it, but I doubt the new rogue flip key will work with the xterra.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode