How-to: Remove OEM Leaf Springs and Install General Springs Leafs - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:08 PM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
Now, if I just want to install rear adjustable shackles, assume I just have to jack correctly and use the ratchet strap method to finish the job? I want to make sure the spring won't unload when released. Suppose I can 'feel' the tension before pulling the stock shackles?
I think you can release all the tension from the springs if you drop the axle far enough. You'll have to jack the entire car up pretty high from the rear differential, place jack stands under the frame and then lower the axle all the way down until it's hanging from the springs. At that point you can place a second pair of jackstands under the axle for support before you remove the shackles.
X4dblduty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran
2010 X

Great post. A couple of you tube vids

and this post by @11ORX https://www.thenewx.org/forum/4285498-post28035.html
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Got to tow the 6x12 enclosed trailer with the new leafs on this weekend and figured out I should have gone with the HD pack. I had to run 40psi where I'd have been at 30 psi with the OEM pack (before a leaf broke) and helper leafs. It was horribly windy Saturday and I was getting a good bit more side to side motion than I've experienced in the past. I could put helpers on again but I decided I'd rather just beef up the pack.

Called Up General Springs, they'll be sending me out what I need to add another leaf to make the pack into what it would have been if I'd ordered the HD pack. I'm kicking myself in the butt for wasting money and time but I knew I was taking a risk. I can say the X rides awesome without a heavy trailer and about 350# of tongue weight. I was ripping up the back roads and really enjoying using the S in SUV.

Thanks for the heads up on retorquing the U-bolts @Xorro, i'd read that but forgotten about it. I'll add it to the first post and retorque them tonight to see how much off they were.

Last edited by Longboardr; 05-22-2019 at 02:28 PM.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Turns out I ordered what's essentially an Add A Leaf from General Spring. In retrospect it would had been a lot cheaper to order the Heavy Duty pack and remove a leaf if I didn't like the ride rather than buying a leaf to put in the pack afterwards.

No problem other than the head height of the bolt they supplied that goes through the pack was 3/8", not 5/16" as the one on their pack came with. I installed the leaf, then realized after I got everything together I couldn't get the pack tight with the axle because the hole in the axle isn't deep enough for a 3/8" head, grind it down and it's fine. I also found I much prefer the U-bolts from Advance Auto to the ones I got from General Spring the first time.

Notes about this were added to the first post.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Got to tow the 6x12 enclosed trailer with the new leafs on this weekend and figured out I should have gone with the HD pack. I had to run 40psi where I'd have been at 30 psi with the OEM pack (before a leaf broke) and helper leafs. It was horribly windy Saturday and I was getting a good bit more side to side motion than I've experienced in the past. I could put helpers on again but I decided I'd rather just beef up the pack.

Called Up General Springs, they'll be sending me out what I need to add another leaf to make the pack into what it would have been if I'd ordered the HD pack. I'm kicking myself in the butt for wasting money and time but I knew I was taking a risk. I can say the X rides awesome without a heavy trailer and about 350# of tongue weight. I was ripping up the back roads and really enjoying using the S in SUV.

Thanks for the heads up on retorquing the U-bolts @Xorro, i'd read that but forgotten about it. I'll add it to the first post and retorque them tonight to see how much off they were.

Are your tires LT rated or P? Just wondering because I screwed up and bought the P rated AT II's a few years ago and have to keep them at 40 psi because of that side to side problem.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Are your tires LT rated or P? Just wondering because I screwed up and bought the P rated AT II's a few years ago and have to keep them at 40 psi because of that side to side problem.
P rated, but they're the same brand/style I was running before I changed to the new leaf pack and I didn't have a side to side problem. I put the helpers from the old pack on for a couple weeks and the side to side problem went away while towing.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode