How-to: Change Oil Cooler Hose (Coolant Return to Engine) - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Noobie

Garage
"I think the crescent brand are about 13", I remember the length being just about perfect for the job."

I was speaking to adding another tool to the mix as the hose pliers I saw are rounded such that they might grip the hose a little better, but your probably right about them not being long enough to reach down in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/3Titan View Post
"I think the crescent brand are about 13", I remember the length being just about perfect for the job."

I was speaking to adding another tool to the mix as the hose pliers I saw are rounded such that they might grip the hose a little better, but your probably right about them not being long enough to reach down in there.
The main issue I ran into was there isn't enough space to open the jaws on regular pliers, if the set you saw has the double jointed design it could work.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Noobie

Garage
"The main issue I ran into was there isn't enough space to open the jaws on regular pliers, if the set you saw has the double jointed design it could work."

But your not kidding when talking about limited space. It was a challenge but I got it done. One thing that worked for me for getting the bottom hose clamp off was with the 45 degree pliers, going in upside down I was able to pinch the clamp and turn it a quarter turn while pushing down and out of the way.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/3Titan View Post
But your not kidding when talking about limited space. It was a challenge but I got it done. One thing that worked for me for getting the bottom hose clamp off was with the 45 degree pliers, going in upside down I was able to pinch the clamp and turn it a quarter turn while pushing down and out of the way.
Ha yeah you can tell the factory installed that hose way before they assembled the top of the engine. But nice work man glad to hear you got it replaced with no problems.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Noobie

Garage
"Ha yeah you can tell the factory installed that hose way before they assembled the top of the engine. But nice work man glad to hear you got it replaced with no problems."

Yep, That hose probably went on before the intake or the Timing Cover. Thanks again for the post. I would have never thought it was possible without tearing the engine apart and those double jointed pliers are new to me. But now their a pair of my favorite tools. : )
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:56 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

Stupid question: Do I need to do this to my 2013 X?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by applexterra View Post
You shouldn't. 10 years, give or take a couple years, is the generally accepted life expectancy of rubber stuff on vehicles.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applexterra View Post
I don't think you need to worry about it yet, the Nissan hoses are a pretty good quality and should be fine until the 9 or 10 year mark.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode