How-to: ABS Off Version 3 - Page 16 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 162 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM
2007 Red Brawn Xterra OR 6MT

Garage
How-to: ABS Off Version 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
ABS in snow is a bit scary.

I mean. Kinda. ABS in snow takes longer to stop but still gives you more control. It makes it possible to brake on corners and bends in snow.

A stick shift is just a millennial anti-theft device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDPearson View Post
I mean. Kinda. ABS in snow takes longer to stop but still gives you more control. It makes it possible to brake on corners and bends in snow.
Yes there is that. For me it's probably more of a learning curve thing as this is the first vehicle I've ever owned which has had any of these new-fangled gizmos like traction control/VDC and ABS.

One thing I really like about the VDC so far is that it does a pretty decent job of keeping the vehicle pointing in the direction you want to go in slippery conditions, especially in 2wd. My wife appreciates this too, since she doesn't handle "unexpected vehicle direction changes" nearly as well as I do.
GDPearson likes this.
post #153 of 162 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 PM
2006 Xterra SE

Me too. Pulling the ABS fuse would just bring me back to any other car I had.. LOL
Yeah ABS/VDC is great when your're on the highway and suddenly the back end swings out on you.. (had that happen during freezing rain on the highway... not fun) It helps getting the nose pointed back in the right direction.
Thing that sucks about ABS in the snow (for me anyway) is when you're stuck in it, or close to being. For example, I was trying to get through a snowbank in 4WD, VDC button switched off and Iv'e got roostertails front and back trying to claw through, and the ABS is grinding away

post #154 of 162 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
Me too. Pulling the ABS fuse would just bring me back to any other car I had.. LOL
Yeah ABS/VDC is great when your're on the highway and suddenly the back end swings out on you.. (had that happen during freezing rain on the highway... not fun) It helps getting the nose pointed back in the right direction.
Thing that sucks about ABS in the snow (for me anyway) is when you're stuck in it, or close to being. For example, I was trying to get through a snowbank in 4WD, VDC button switched off and Iv'e got roostertails front and back trying to claw through, and the ABS is grinding away
Do you mean ABLS? Like the ABLS was applying the brake to the wheel that was spinning in an effort to get the open diff to give power to the wheel that isn't spinning.
post #155 of 162 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 PM
2006 Xterra SE

no. if you're rocking back and forth and applying the brakes before switching from D to R the abs grinds pretty bad

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Longboardr likes this.
post #156 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Xterra Offroad

Hi guys, I’ve been doing LOTS of research and am stumped. There’s a long story and a short story. Let’s start with the short version:
I opened the cup holder, found the right connector near the center console, unplugged it, and do NOT have 4lo, 4hi, or rear locker ability. All the 4x4 lights just blink and it does NOT go into 4x4. I drove around a field from 0-10mph weaving around hoping they would engage but nothing. Rear tire spins easy when I throttle.
Long version: I already had my ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights on because my 4x4 has not worked since I got the truck. There was a broken rear abs wire (looks like it rubbed on the frame) on the harness side (not the plug side) and I soldered that up after unplugging the abs wire. Plugged it back in and didn’t fix the problem. That’s the backstory. I was hoping this would be an easy 4x4 fix until I can get time and/or money to fix the root problem. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
post #157 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
couldn't really tell ya....but ya should start a new thread for this, rather than gunk up a how-to on troubleshooting your issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
post #158 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Xterra Offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
couldn't really tell ya....but ya should start a new thread for this, rather than gunk up a how-to on troubleshooting your issue.
I was hoping the powers at be regarding this mod could tell me why bypassing won’t let me engage 4wd, since they claim this mod should work. I did the mod, it doesn’t work for me, and I’m here seeking an answer why.

My guess is any issue with abs isn’t allowing the mod to work. I’m assuming this mod is for people with functioning abs systems?

Also, I’m not really gunking up the thread, the mod is clear as day in the first post. The rest of the thread is people who are adding info, personal experiences, and having small issues or differences and how some of them have worked around them. I’m having problem with this mod, and that’s why I’m here, for help and info
post #159 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydr650 View Post
Hi guys, I’ve been doing LOTS of research and am stumped. There’s a long story and a short story. Let’s start with the short version:
I opened the cup holder, found the right connector near the center console, unplugged it, and do NOT have 4lo, 4hi, or rear locker ability. All the 4x4 lights just blink and it does NOT go into 4x4. I drove around a field from 0-10mph weaving around hoping they would engage but nothing. Rear tire spins easy when I throttle.
Long version: I already had my ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights on because my 4x4 has not worked since I got the truck. There was a broken rear abs wire (looks like it rubbed on the frame) on the harness side (not the plug side) and I soldered that up after unplugging the abs wire. Plugged it back in and didn’t fix the problem.
I think you answered your own question. Fix your truck properly, then attempt testing out the mod. The mod only affects the yaw sensor, the rest of the ABS system is untouched.

post #160 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Xterra Offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
I think you answered your own question. Fix your truck properly, then attempt testing out the mod. The mod only affects the yaw sensor, the rest of the ABS system is untouched.
I was worried about this. I hoped this was a sort of bypass bandaid mod for now but not the case. The truck is currently at Nissan and I’ll hopefully at least have a diagnosis soon. Thanks for the insight

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode