How-to: Front Stock Bumper Removal - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off-Road

How-to: Front Stock Bumper Removal

How to remove the plastic front bumper.

1)
Remove the grille

2)
The top edge of the bumper is held by five of the same plastic pins that hold the top edge of the grille. Remove 2 of these on each side, leaving the center pin in place for now.

3)
On each side, remove the 4 Phillips-head screws that attach the bumper to the plastic fender well liner. Two of these are on the bottom edge of the bumper, and two are on the edge along the wheel well. If you haven't removed the tires, it may help to turn the wheels to make access easier.
In this photo, the locations of these 4 screws are marked by the blue arrows:

4)
Starting at the bottom, ease the plastic fender well liner out past the edge of the bumper, up as far as the top edge of the bumper. Using a screwdriver, putty knife, or prybar may help with this. Make sure not to lose any of the clips that the hold the screws removed in Step 3.

5)
Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the rear end of the bumper's side wings. This photo shows the plastic fender well liner out past the edge of the bumper, with a nut driver on the 10mm bolt:

6)
The bumper wings will now 'snap out'.
Once out, it is a good idea to cover them with a rag, to prevent them from scratching the paint on the fenders.
The bumper wings are held in two places.
The photo in Step 3 shows these locations with yellow arrows.
The photo below shows the location of the 10mm bolt removed in Step 5 (white arrow), and the two places where the bumper wing is held by plastic clips (blue arrows):

In this photo the Phillips screwdriver is pointing to the clip under the headlight:

The clip that holds the corner of the bumper wing looks like this when removed (driver's side, viewed from above):

The blue arrow in the photo above shows the tab on this clip that holds the bumper wing.
You do not have to remove this clip to remove the bumper.
You can remove the two screws that hold this clip, and remove the clip along with the bumper:

Here is another view, from above (passenger side), of the locations of the two clips (yellow arrows) and 10mm bolt (white arrow) that hold the bumper wing:

7)
If there are no factory fog lights installed, go to Step 11.

8)
Remove the center pin that was not removed in Step 2.

9)
Tilt the top edge of the bumper forward far enough to be able to remove the factory fog light wiring harness at the fog lights.
You can use a flat blade screwdriver, and press the center of the connector clip towards the rear, and down, to release the connector from the fog lamp.

10)
Tilt the bumper back, and replace the center pin that was removed in Step 8.

11)
Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the bottom of the bumper to the front skid plate.
There is one on each side, and two in the middle that are accessed through holes in part of the plastic bumper.
Do not remove the five 10mm bolts that hold the two parts of the plastic bumper together - these 5 bolts are recessed in countersunk holes in the plastic bumper.
This photo shows the four 10mm bolts to be removed (red arrows):

The locations of the 5 bolts that do not need to be removed are shown with white arrows (the bolts are removed in this photo).
The blue arrows show the location of 2 of the 4 (per side) Phillips-head screws that hold the fender liner to the bumper.

12)
Remove the center pin (that was not removed in Step 2, or was reinstalled in Step 10).

13)
Remove the bumper, including the fog lights and if installed, the front license plate holder. Here's a photo showing the bumper, and most of it's attachment points:

white arrows = holes for 10mm bolts
yellow arrows = tabs where the bumper 'snaps out' and 'clips in'
black arrows = holes for the plastic pins
red arrows = holes for 10mm bolts that attach to skid plate
Not shown are the locations for the 4 (per side) Phillips-head screws that hold the bumper to the fender well liner.
treadmark and NWCoffeeGuy like this.

2006 Silver OR MT

Last edited by Old Navy; 05-05-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
Thanks, just in time for my Shrock to arrive.

We do bad things to bad people.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Hey that is pretty detailed, I am going to link this up in my Front Bumper install, Make it more clear for people. They will thank you. MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to cornick
Added to: How to's in an organized fashion!

-=Jeff=-
First locked S in the world.

Yes, you guys may be able to buy your own locker now...but you collectively came in second. And second, is always the first loser.

|
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Man! I wished I saw this post earlier I cut my bumper and now if I ever sell my xterra I need a new bumper or sell the truck with my shrock bumper on it.
Oh well!

Click Here for >

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles
Man! I wished I saw this post earlier I cut my bumper and now if I ever sell my xterra I need a new bumper or sell the truck with my shrock bumper on it.
Oh well!
Did you perhaps mean to post that in response to my Bumper Saver for Shrockworks Front Bumper install posting?

2006 Silver OR MT
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra X

Bumper is off!! Great How To!!

06 X Night Armor...
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Veteran
2007 Desert Stone Xterra OR

Bumper is on!?! Great How to, too!!

note: I had to replace one.

I may not be heavily modded, but I am heavily armored...
KD0QVR /
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

Yup, great how to, I used this last weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra SE

Send a message via AIM to equinox764
used this tonight this is awesome. Thanks a ton.

Lunch has been canceled due to lack of hustle.... deal with it.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode