How-to: Rough Country 4" LED Roof Lights in Stock Housing - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By captshanef
  • 1 Post By mikememe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
How-to: Rough Country 4" LED Roof Lights in Stock Housing

Not sure how many have seen these before: 4-inch LED Round Lights [70804] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

I thought they might be a good replacement for the stock roof lights on the PRO-4X. The stock lights just weren't very impressive to me and I needed plenty of light for driving Montana roads at night.

Stock PRO-4X lights:

Here is what the new lights look like:

In Person:

As you can see, the lights come with brackets for mounting at the base. There is a small tab that comes out on the bottom to put a mounting bolt through.

Once you remove the 6 bolts that hold the light panel to the roof, you can unplug them and lift it away. Here is the light panel from the back:

Three screws to remove the housing. One on top and two on bottom.

Stock lights:

I found out there isn't enough room to mount them with the attached bracket, so I decided to try mounting them using bolts and the threaded holes on the back of the lights

The lights fit like a glove (a tight glove but a glove nonetheless) but since the housing is angled behind them to accommodate the original halogens which sit much deeper than the flat LEDs, they were interesting to get bolted in to say the least. I did make it work with #10/32 bolts that were 1/2" long and some bent washers to fit it tightly against the angled surface. It could probably have been done better I think, but I'm not immediately sure how. Regardless, I got them to fit:

As far as wiring goes, I just used the stock wires since LEDs should draw less overall plus they were 55W instead of 65W stock. Plus, I was fine with the fact that they can only be used with brights. It wasn't worth it for me to rewire and place a new relay and switch.

I cut the plug and 6" of wire from the supplied wiring harness and cut the stock plug out. I connected these wires with some waterproof butt connectors and zip tied it all together. Again, I could have probably soldered it all together, but due to my current lack of a solder gun, I figured this should be good enough.

Finished light panel:

Installed:

Testing:

I did notice that the bracket tab on the bottom of these lights sticks down enough to hit the paint. I tried to file it down a little bit, but it was getting late so I just tightened it down on the roof and it seemed to work ok. I assume it might scratch the paint a little bit over time, but as long as it doesn't rust, I doubt anyone will be looking under there.

These particular lights have a textured surface that helps them to flood light around the front of your truck. I can see straight out to the sides. I covered up the brights on a dark road and they had enough throw to illuminate a couple hundred yards down the road. I did have to adjust mine a little bit with washers because they were shining pretty high, but I think I have them dialed in now.

Hope some of you will find this helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM
2007 Knight Armour Xterra S

Garage
love it!!
mv213 likes this.

Click here for mine!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:51 PM
2015 Xterra Pro 4X

Garage
Nice I was wondering if anyone had replaced the boob lights.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:51 PM
2015 Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Nice mod. A couple of things:
1) Each new light uses 27 watts (9 LED x 3 watts/LED) compared to the factory 65 watts per light. So the factory wiring is more than adequate and you have less strain on your charging system.
2) From your description of being able to "see straight out to the sides" it sounds like these are flood lights, not pencil beam/driving lights. How much glare do you get off the hood?

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Bromax View Post
Nice mod. A couple of things:
1) Each new light uses 27 watts (9 LED x 3 watts/LED) compared to the factory 65 watts per light. So the factory wiring is more than adequate and you have less strain on your charging system.
2) From your description of being able to "see straight out to the sides" it sounds like these are flood lights, not pencil beam/driving lights. How much glare do you get off the hood?
You're right on the wattage. It's been awhile since I've done this and I forgot the exact numbers. Yall would probably benefit from double checking the bolt size that I used as well but I think that is correct.

I think these are more flood than spot for sure which I was initially wary about, but they do seem to illuminate pretty far down the road as well. Even though they light up around the front pretty well I actually felt like the hood glare was much worse with the stock lights. Not sure if it is the color difference or what but the stock lights showed every grain of sand on my windshield and hood and almost made it harder to see at night due to the hood glare. I definitely feel like I can see better with these. I may have these angled a little higher than my stock ones were. That would allow for the side flood but less hood glare I believe.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 PM
2011 Pro4X

Why didn't you just go with HIDs up there? Seems like a easier install and you don't have to worry about possible water intrusion later on (or did you throw a silicone bead on them?)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
Why didn't you just go with HIDs up there? Seems like a easier install and you don't have to worry about possible water intrusion later on (or did you throw a silicone bead on them?)
I personally prefer LED to HID. Initially, I was thinking that the LED would be a little more spot than it turned out to be, which was another reason for LED. As far as water intrusion, the stock lights were not water tight with the roof mounting either so no silicone bead.

Plus, I don't have to deal with mountain the ballasts with LED vs HID. Don't get me wrong I definitely considered them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Noobie

I found this post when I thinking about doing something similar but using these lights instead. Since you've done this before, can you see any obvious issues I might run into?

http://www.kchilites.com/light-type/...round-300.html

Only thing I can think of is that there are no rear mounting holes, but I think I would be able to come up with some solution.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Noobie

This has been something I have wanted to do for a long time! I really want to put the Baja Designs squadron lights with the round bezel inside the housing. I’m surprised not many other people do this as it looks really clean and prevents your lights from getting stolen.

They would hopefully fit nicely. I would want to rewire so I can have them on whenever I want.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in