How-to: Access For Alternator Removal - PBR - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How-to: Access For Alternator Removal - PBR

I have a picture here of the easy way to get to the dreaded vulnerable Nissan Xterra Alternator. It only takes about 5 min to take the tire off and the inner fender well and that gives you one heck of a shot at the alternator! see?

Muzikman has changed one out, and he posted directions here https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-...-progress.html

He can edit this and give you the whole how to and note weather I am onto something here or not. But If I need to change mine, I'm going in this way! MC

Edit to show link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC

Last edited by Old Navy; 08-22-2017 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Converted Photo Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

Yeah, getting the alt out is not easy. Maybe taking the innerfender off will help. When I have to change it agani (which I am sure I will) I'll have to give it a try.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

LOL I was trying to put you on the spot for a how to! LOL Yea! There is like Loads and loads of room! My Cadillac is the same way, but that is to be expected since it is a NS V8 sidewinder! LOL Seriously though, someone ever does have to do this, (And we all will someday water depending) try this and do a How To! (If it's me I am going to be pissed! LOL) MC

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Oh...

well, here ya go then.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-...-progress.html

Last edited by Old Navy; 08-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ok next guy that goes in deep, try this way in and Muzikmans directions and let us know how it works out. I'm sure this will take some of the pain out of servicing the alternator. It's buried! MC

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Veteran

Garage
I would like to see a How-To for this. One of these coming weekends, I'm going to follow what directions are available and practice replacing the alternator. I'm also buying an extra one to carry along for extended expeditions. I hope to become good enough at it that I'll easily be able to trail service it.
________
NO-FAULT INSURANCE ADVICE
Houndsong likes this.

Last edited by syndicate; 05-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 AM

One suggestion, buy an extra set of bolts from the alt. It takes three. The heads are really soft and they are on there tight. I started to round the head off one.

Houndsong likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate
I would like to see a How-To for this. One of these coming weekends, I'm going to follow what directions are available and practice replacing the alternator. I'm also buying an extra one to carry along for extended expeditions. I hope to become good enough at it that I'll easily be able to trail service it.
You are a leader now! Use my access method and Muzikmans directions Do a How to and we will delete mine and put your in. MC

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Veteran
1999 Maxima SE

What happend to the links for this?

Did they get lost when the server crashed?
Houndsong likes this.

STEVE & Krystal Go BSU!!
2006 Xterra 4x4 (Sold); 2010 Frontier CC LE 4x4 (Sold)
"If you're not gonna pull the trigger, don't point the gun." - James Baker
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran

I'd welcome a "how to" on this subject.

My alt is screeching worse that my wife when she finds I've washed her "delicates" with my dirty clothes...

It goes away after a few mins. Both of them...

8th Man

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode