Done with Front Spacers... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Super Black Xterra X

Done with Front Spacers...

I have a 2011 X model with 94,000 miles. Since owning the Xterra (90,000) I have replaced the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod as well PRG UCA’s, adjustable cam bolts, Monroe quick struts and 265/70/16 cooper AT3’s, 1.5” wheel spacers and recently added my 2” strut spacer to give me some lift in the front.

In the back I originally replaced the worn out shocks with Bilstein 4600, 2” add a leaf (which gave me no lift) then added a 1.5” Rough Country shackle.

I love the look but the ride is terrible. My tire pressure is around 31lbs and helped a little but still very stiff and the rear is banging when I fly over a rise in an intersection.

I’ve been considering pulling the spacer up front and going with a different setup. Not sure if I want to go 5100’s due to the negative comments. I did see the Old Man Emu has good reviews but not sure what to get or if it will truly soften the ride. I do like the height tho.

For the rear I needed some lift because I trailer a small boat and it sits way to low on my old worn out springs. But am now wondering it the 4600’s are compressed too much due to the shackle lift.

Now the questions.

1: Up front, with what I have done already can I get recommendations on what to buy to replace the 2” lift spacer and Monroe quick strut combo I currently run.

2: Is there a rear shock option to give me a better ride quality or do I need to go with a different set up completely in the back. I don’t mind a slight rake if needed. I just want as smooth of ride as possible with a slight lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan81 View Post
I have a 2011 X model with 94,000 miles. Since owning the Xterra (90,000) I have replaced the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod as well PRG UCAs, adjustable cam bolts, Monroe quick struts and 265/70/16 cooper AT3s, 1.5 wheel spacers and recently added my 2 strut spacer to give me some lift in the front.

In the back I originally replaced the worn out shocks with Bilstein 4600, 2 add a leaf (which gave me no lift) then added a 1.5 Rough Country shackle.

I love the look but the ride is terrible. My tire pressure is around 31lbs and helped a little but still very stiff and the rear is banging when I fly over a rise in an intersection.

Ive been considering pulling the spacer up front and going with a different setup. Not sure if I want to go 5100s due to the negative comments. I did see the Old Man Emu has good reviews but not sure what to get or if it will truly soften the ride. I do like the height tho.

For the rear I needed some lift because I trailer a small boat and it sits way to low on my old worn out springs. But am now wondering it the 4600s are compressed too much due to the shackle lift.

Now the questions.

1: Up front, with what I have done already can I get recommendations on what to buy to replace the 2 lift spacer and Monroe quick strut combo I currently run.

2: Is there a rear shock option to give me a better ride quality or do I need to go with a different set up completely in the back. I dont mind a slight rake if needed. I just want as smooth of ride as possible with a slight lift.

I'd ditch the Monroe's, you can get a ride equal to factory with Bilstein 4600's + stock coil + the 2" coilover spacer. 5100's won't ride great if you try to use the 'height-adjustable' circlip adjustments over an inch so you'd still need the spacer. For the rear if you're bottoming out with a 2" AAL + lift shackle your leaf pack must be in horrible shape. The 4600's can't be over compressed there but they can be over extended and top out. When they top out you'll know it because it clunks and you'll feel the rear sharply stop. Measure your ground to fender distance with the tires set to 35 psi, there's a chance you're over extending them. If bottoming is the problem, Timbrens are a great choice to stop that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Quote:
I have a 2011 X model with 94,000 miles. Since owning the Xterra (90,000) I have replaced the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod as well PRG UCAs, adjustable cam bolts, Monroe quick struts and 265/70/16 cooper AT3s, 1.5 wheel spacers and recently added my 2 strut spacer to give me some lift in the front.

In the back I originally replaced the worn out shocks with Bilstein 4600, 2 add a leaf (which gave me no lift) then added a 1.5 Rough Country shackle.

Ive been considering pulling the spacer up front and going with a different setup. Not sure if I want to go 5100s due to the negative comments. I did see the Old Man Emu has good reviews but not sure what to get or if it will truly soften the ride. I do like the height tho.

For the rear I needed some lift because I trailer a small boat and it sits way to low on my old worn out springs. But am now wondering it the 4600s are compressed too much due to the shackle lift.

Now the questions.

1: Up front, with what I have done already can I get recommendations on what to buy to replace the 2 lift spacer and Monroe quick strut combo I currently run.

2: Is there a rear shock option to give me a better ride quality or do I need to go with a different set up completely in the back. I dont mind a slight rake if needed. I just want as smooth of ride as possible with a slight lift.

Definitely time to replace your leaf pack. AALs are like nice bandaids...they cant fix the problem, they just make it more tolerable for a while. But if your leaves are bad, the AAL wont last nearly as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 AM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

I just replaced my factory "blown out" leaves with OME Dakars, and my factory 4600's with 5100's set at 1.5, and it rides great IMO. I'm not sure why the negative feedback on the 5100's, perhaps if you go past 1.5 it gets sketchy?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:32 PM
NewXer 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:

Now the questions.

Sounds like your leaf pack is completely shot and you are smashing the factory bumpstops in the rear.

For the front, you might be hitting the coil buckets or bottoming out the shocks. I am also going to assume you are using a 2" lift spacer and that your spacer is not 2" thick cause that would mean greater than 2" of lift and would make things worse than what I am about to describe to you. From factory there is 5.4" of travel. Half of this is up-travel and the other is down travel or droop. If you lift the front with a spacer, you are subtracting from the droop, so that leaves you with 5.4/2 -2= 0.9" of droop.

That means if your suspension droops anything more than 0.9" the shocks bottom out and you are getting a bang. Additionally the Monroes might have less travel that factory.

All that being said, if you have the money replace the leaf pack and get 5100's in the back for the lift you adjust for in the rear. For the front get coil-overs for the best ride. If money is an issue, 5100's set at 1" of lift and a 1" lift spacer up front works well, still have to replace the leaf pack unfortunately.

As another option to OME or Alcans, 4wheelparts has a replacement pack that is heavier duty than the stock leaf and gives a bit of lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
The only negative reviews I see for the 5100s is when people max them out. If you leave them on a low setting, as suggested by everyone else prior to me, and use a 1" spacer, you'll be golden. For the rear, if you don't want a ton of lift but want load carrying capability, look at the heavy duty replacement springs by General Spring or the OME Dakar springs for more lift.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Tracking.... my front spacers are a 1” that gives me a total of 2” of lift. I don’t have any CBC in the front due to my SPC UCA’s. The ride is just crappy up front. Thinking about getting a .5” spacer (1” lift) and setting a pair of 5100’s at 1” lift to see if that fixes things.

The rear shocks are definitely over extending and topping out. Can someone send me the part number for a leaf pack that will give me a little lift and allow for me to tow my 16’ boat, as well at what shock to pair it with. I actually measured my rear shock from eyelet to eyelet with the truck sitting flat and it’s 18.25”. I don’t mind a 1”-1.5” rake in the back since I pull my boat regularly. Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Tracking.... my front spacers are a 1” that gives me a total of 2” of lift. I don’t have any CBC in the front due to my SPC UCA’s. The ride is just crappy up front. Thinking about getting a .5” spacer (1” lift) and setting a pair of 5100’s at 1” lift to see if that fixes things.

The rear shocks are definitely over extending and topping out. Can someone send me the part number for a leaf pack that will give me a little lift and allow for me to tow my 16’ boat, as well at what shock to pair it with. I actually measured my rear shock from eyelet to eyelet with the truck sitting flat and it’s 18.25”. I don’t mind a 1”-1.5” rake in the back since I pull my boat regularly. Thanks in advance.
General:
https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-293hd.htm

OME:
https://www.prgproducts.com/product-...spring-package
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

So for the front:
Should I keep the 1 inch spacer (2 inch lift) I already have and set the 5100 to stock height setting... or.... get a .5inch spacer (1inch of lift) and set the 5100s to 1inch lift? Or does it really matter? Also is the spring that came with my Monroe quick strut still good to use with the 5100 or should that also be replaced? I don’t have the OEM parts they were trashed.

For the rear:
I’m gonna get the general 4x4 springs since I already have all the new bushings, extended u bolts and such from my previous AAL and Extended shackle work. But what shocks should I get? Also should I keep my 4degree shim that i installed previously with my 1.5inch shackle?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 PM
NewXer 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
So for the front:
Should I keep the 1 inch spacer (2 inch lift) I already have and set the 5100 to stock height setting... or.... get a .5inch spacer (1inch of lift) and set the 5100s to 1inch lift? Or does it really matter? Also is the spring that came with my Monroe quick strut still good to use with the 5100 or should that also be replaced? I don€™t have the OEM parts they were trashed.

For the rear:
I€™m gonna get the general 4x4 springs since I already have all the new bushings, extended u bolts and such from my previous AAL and Extended shackle work. But what shocks should I get? Also should I keep my 4degree shim that i installed previously with my 1.5inch shackle?
You can keep the spacer and set the front 5100's to stock height. Be aware just because you have SPC control arms doesn't mean they won't contact the coil bucket or nick your ball joint boot. I had to grind 1" off the coil bucket to clear even with SPC's.

As for the rear, you can get 5125's for the lift you plan on running in the rear. Nisstec sells them, they usually ship those out pretty fast. The shim will depend on your lift. Typically 1 degree per inch of lift however at 3.5-4" you are at the limit of what the stock drive shaft and rear pinion can take and will require a new custom driveshaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode