Front End Bushings, Bolts, Part Manufacturer Reliability - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Front End Bushings, Bolts, Part Manufacturer Reliability

Have been preparing to do a major and long overdue front end maintenance job: LCAs, Wheel bearing and hub assemblies, tie-rod ends, sway bar bushings and drop links/end links. Might have to remove and replace a CV axle. Been reviewing a lot of relevant threads and reading a few new ones. Thanks for the sharing guys in all the threads I have been reading; this is an ambitious remove and replace for me.

I have some questions about bushings and camber bolts and manufacturer quality/reliability. The 2006 X is stock, no lift. I want it to remain that way. I transit lots of heavily wash-boarded logging rods and old skidder trails but do not mud bog or rock crawl and typically park and hike or canoe. Occasionally I scale a steep loose rock slope, that is the limit of it. Needless to say, the X always comes through in style. Always.

Lower control arm (LCA) Camber bolts

A poster or two have opined that Nissan makes the best camber bolts. My local Nissan dealership sells them at C$33 each, washers C$9.28 each, nuts C$2.60 each. I would require a set of 4 at minimum for C$179.52. PRG sells a Nissan Alignment Cam Bolt Kit for C$92.39, Nissteclifts.com sells a Front Camber Bolt Kit - Full Set for $84.99. Autopartsway.ca sells the Moog K80276 Cam bolt kit for C$37.82.

What would you folks recommend? Spend the money and get Nissan bolts?

Front Sway bar bushings

The Titan poly bushings are recommended by some. But is not the diameter of the stock X sway bar 32mm while the stock Titan sway bar is 34mm?

It is recommended to apply synthetic lubricant to the poly bushings. Would white lithium grease work? I ask because I have it. Would not a silicon-based grease be better? Please make specific recommendations if you have any.

Should I get new bushing brackets if I go the Titan bushings route?

Brand names

During most of my readings I have been labouring under the impression that Moog, for example, makes quality, durable parts. Then I come across this thread started by VMBiohazard entitled Tie Rods Shot within 6 Months? in which he and several others offered a fair bit of anecdotal evidence to suggest that Moog tie rod ends quality had sharply declined.

Avoid Moog for tie-rod ends? Should I avoid Moog for LCAs, Wheel Bearings and Hubs, sway bar end links, etc., too?

If I am willing to pay more for more consistent quality and durability, what brand names should I be focused on?

FWIW, I buy 2nd hand vehicles so I can outfit them with expensive quality parts such as Bilstein shocks and Michelin LTX tires. Sounds kinda silly but I think it makes good sense.

---
Night armour Xterra 2006 Off-Road, after-market Bilstein shocks, 5th rear leaf spring, Michelin LTX M/S^2 4-season tires, Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 motor oil, JVC GPS/Receiver, otherwise stock. 205,000 km/127,000 miles. Handles steep loose rock very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Lower control arm (LCA) Camber bolts

A poster or two have opined that Nissan makes the best camber bolts. My local Nissan dealership sells them at C$33 each, washers C$9.28 each, nuts C$2.60 each. I would require a set of 4 at minimum for C$179.52. PRG sells a Nissan Alignment Cam Bolt Kit for C$92.39, Nissteclifts.com sells a Front Camber Bolt Kit - Full Set for $84.99. Autopartsway.ca sells the Moog K80276 Cam bolt kit for C$37.82.

What would you folks recommend? Spend the money and get Nissan bolts?

With no lift you don't need camber bolts, if you can't re-use the stock bolts I'd replace them with a new set from Nissan. If you want them just for the sake of having them, the Nissan set will be the best quality available followed by any of the other name brands.

Front Sway bar bushings

The Titan poly bushings are recommended by some. But is not the diameter of the stock X sway bar 32mm while the stock Titan sway bar is 34mm?It is recommended to apply synthetic lubricant to the poly bushings. Would white lithium grease work? I ask because I have it. Would not a silicon-based grease be better? Please make specific recommendations if you have any. Should I get new bushing brackets if I go the Titan bushings route?

IMO I don't see any gain to be had with a stock X switching to larger sway bar bushings. Back when I still had a sway bar I replaced those bushings annually, go with Nissan if you want to stay with rubber bushings most of the aftermarket sets have the cut in the wrong place and they split. Poly will be more stiff but need to be relubed from time to time because when the grease eventually displaces the bushing will squeak loudly. Teflon based grease is ideal, you can prob get away with Lithium but I'd be concerned with it washing out quickly because of it's viscosity. Same with silicon lube really, you have to remember the sway bar bushings are exposed on the front of the truck and take a lot of water and wind, any thin grease won't last long.

Brand names

During most of my readings I have been labouring under the impression that Moog, for example, makes quality, durable parts. Then I come across this thread started by VMBiohazard entitled Tie Rods Shot within 6 Months? in which he and several others offered a fair bit of anecdotal evidence to suggest that Moog tie rod ends quality had sharply declined. Avoid Moog for tie-rod ends? Should I avoid Moog for LCAs, Wheel Bearings and Hubs, sway bar end links, etc., too? If I am willing to pay more for more consistent quality and durability, what brand names should I be focused on?

Avoid Moog. I posted in the thread you referenced and my experience with their TRE's was lousy, sure you get a 'free' warranty replacement when they wear out and then you get to waste time installing them and paying for a new alignment. Honestly most of the aftermarket parts have really cheapened out when it comes to quality, if you really want to replace this stuff and be done with it go with Nissan for the LCA + Sway bar links. You can order the OEM brand (Hitachi) for the TRE's + hubs on Rockauto.
SledheadX likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:56 AM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Front End Bushings, Bolts, Part Manufacturer Reliability

Ditto^^

If replacing the LCA, Mevotech supremes with zerk fittings on RockAuto.com have been good aftermarket recommendations here in the past. And whatever else you may purchase online, I have a discount code in the “for free” section of the marketplace here for all to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWW FRELL!!!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Thank you General_Trafun. Much appreciated. Ditto for SledheadX's ditto, the Mevotech recommendation and the discount code. I have used Rockauto.com in the past and the service was excellent.

Did some reading up on camber bolts. :-)

I left a request for a p 'n a of more parts with the Nissan dealership and should have an answer on Monday.

---
Night armour Xterra 2006 Off-Road, after-market Bilstein shocks, 5th rear leaf spring, Michelin LTX M/S^2 4-season tires, Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 motor oil, JVC GPS/Receiver, otherwise stock. 205,000 km/127,000 miles. Handles steep loose rock very well.

Last edited by westslope; 06-23-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westslope View Post
Thank you General_Trafun. Much appreciated. Ditto for SledheadX's ditto, the Mevotech recommendation and the discount code. I have sued Rockauto.com in the past and the service was excellent.

Did some reading up on camber bolts. :-)

I left a request for a p 'n a of more parts with the Nissan dealership and should have an answer on Monday.
No prob, definitely shop around for the dealership parts, I order most of mine online from dealerships pretty far away because even with shipping it's less $ than the local dealership charges for some reason. The cam bolts shouldn't be needed but if you really want them I did a how to a while back on saving some money on them.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I really like the superpro poly sway bar bushings I got from OffRoadGorilla. Firm, really seemed to tighten up the front end while still allowing for plenty of movement. And using the included lube, no noise or squeaking since I installed them 2ish years ago. The poly steering rack bushings are great too. Both should outlast the truck.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra Off-Road

GeolJon: Nothing on OffRoadGorilla and nothing on SuperPro website for Xterra poly bushings.

Left a question with SuperPro.

General_Trafun: I found Hitachi Tie Rod Ends on Rockauto.com but not a Hitachi Wheel bearing and hub assembly.

I don't see any OE Wheel bearing and hub assemblies. Raybestos, SKF, Centric, Moog and Timken figure among the more expensive options (in descending order of price).

I have yet to see the Hitachi name outside of Rockauto.com. Suggestions?

---
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM
2009 Avalanche White Xterra Off Road

Be advised, I ordered two sets of Hitachi tie rod inner and outers from Rock Auto earlier this year and they did not come with tightening nuts. Ended up ordering them from the dealership.

K.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Timken is OEM

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westslope View Post
General_Trafun: I found Hitachi Tie Rod Ends on Rockauto.com but not a Hitachi Wheel bearing and hub assembly.

I don't see any OE Wheel bearing and hub assemblies. Raybestos, SKF, Centric, Moog and Timken figure among the more expensive options (in descending order of price).

I have yet to see the Hitachi name outside of Rockauto.com. Suggestions?
Oops I meant to say Timken for the OEM hubs, sorry about that.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode