Odd Alignment Issue - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Odd Alignment Issue

Hello hello.
Long story short last week i installed a minor lift and new wheels. I went get it aligned with the also new cam bolts from PRG. All was well for 2 days, wheel was perfectly straight. The next day i noticed the steering wheel is now 5-8 degrees to the right as the truck goes straight. The more i drive it the more it seems to go right. My initial thought was maybe the tires were worn weird since i drove for 2 days on terrible toe, and now the tires are wearing back even throwing the wheel off.... its a long shot but ive never seen this before. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

I doubt that is due to the tires, sounds to me like something is loose and is moving out of alignment.

I'd either take it back to whomever did the alignment and have them check their work, or take it somewhere else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierce_iv View Post
Hello hello.
Long story short last week i installed a minor lift and new wheels. I went get it aligned with the also new cam bolts from PRG. All was well for 2 days, wheel was perfectly straight. The next day i noticed the steering wheel is now 5-8 degrees to the right as the truck goes straight. The more i drive it the more it seems to go right. My initial thought was maybe the tires were worn weird since i drove for 2 days on terrible toe, and now the tires are wearing back even throwing the wheel off.... its a long shot but ive never seen this before. Thoughts?
I've been fighting almost the same problem for almost a year now without a solve. In your case though first check the cam bolts, I had a shop leave those loose one time and they moved around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Yeah im looking for a different shop locally this time around. Just another thing to the never ending list to get done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 PM
pso
2006 Xterra X

I had the same thing happen on my Chevy C3500 truck some years ago. I had taken it in for an alignment after I changed the bushings. After several days, the steering wheel was no longer centered. I opened the hood and had a look around and spotted a shiny ractchet and socket stuck on one of the adjusting bolts. The service manager at the dealership that did the aligment looked and said very sternly "we'll take care of it" and went looking for the mechanic listed on the receipt. I guess he at least got a slap on the wrist.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Odd Alignment Issue

Sounds like your tie rods just need adjusted. Itís an alignment issue if your truck is pulling to the right as you release the wheel. If the wheel just isnít up-down, but the truck still drives straight, then it just needs adjusted...your truck is aligned just fine. I read about this last night on the PRG website:

https://www.prgproducts.com/single-p...ier-and-Xterra

Itís the second to last paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:33 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra Off Road

I have the same issue. I have replaced every single component in the front suspension except my rack and Pinion, I located the problem and learned that the bushings on the rack and Pinion when they go bad it moves to the left and to the right causing this issue if somebody can find these bushings please post a link as I cannot find these parts for the rack and Pinion anywhere I currently run a 2006 off-road.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM
NewXíer 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kuder View Post
I have the same issue. I have replaced every single component in the front suspension except my rack and Pinion, I located the problem and learned that the bushings on the rack and Pinion when they go bad it moves to the left and to the right causing this issue if somebody can find these bushings please post a link as I cannot find these parts for the rack and Pinion anywhere I currently run a 2006 off-road.
SuperPro bushings for a frontier will work. Offroad Gorilla stocks the SuperPros: Steering Rack & Pinion Bushing Kit, SuperPro Nissan Frontier & Xterra 05-14, SPF3028K ? OffroadGorilla.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra OR 6MT

Cam bolt loose and walked. Not a toe issue, even though the toe is now out. Go back to the alignment shop. Should be a quick spin on the alignment rack, re-adjust and re-tighten everything. A sorry and be on your way.

Was I the only one who was sobor and paying attention in college?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode