Shim Installation Question ? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
2007 Desert Stone Xterra S 4x4

Shim Installation Question ?

So after reading some of the latest posts in "What have you done" I have become more concerned about the vibration that I incurred (25-45 MPH) after I installed the lift. I'm running Deaver AAL's. I have three degree shims from PRG but I didn't install them because I didn't feel good about it. Basically what bothered me was that with the shim in place I lost the "headspace" on the centering pin/bolt where it inserts into the axle housing bracket. See example pic. As far as the vibration goes I know I have to at least start with getting the shims in. I really don't want to have to go with a custom driveshaft but I will before I start destroying pinion bearings and such. Here is a picture of the angle of my drive shaft and the yoke as it is now. What is the definitive method for the shim installation. Do you just lay them in there between the leaf and the bracket and crank the U-bolts down? How do you insure exact center?

BTW I'm three inches on the rear.

Example
https://imgur.com/s4BMrce

Angle
https://imgur.com/8eX1KId

Yoke
https://imgur.com/R78Koga

Last edited by BlueRidgeX; 06-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:36 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeX View Post
Do you just lay them in there between the leaf and the bracket and crank the U-bolts down?
This is what I did. The bottom plate for the ubolts is centered on the pin, so I'm relying on the ubolts to keep the axle lined up.
BlueRidgeX likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Lava Red ❌terra S

I'll have to verify this when I leave work this afternoon but I'm 99% with the DAAL pack I got from PRG you insert the center pin through the shim and leaf pack so that the head of the center pin will still sit in the hole in the axle housing that's made for the center pin (in blue on the attached picture)

If you don't have a shim that you can do that with I would call up PRG or Nisstec and tell them you want 3* shims that you put the center pin through. Should solve all of your problems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shim.pdf (57.2 KB, 10 views)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxsterra View Post
I'll have to verify this when I leave work this afternoon but I'm 99% with the DAAL pack I got from PRG you insert the center pin through the shim and leaf pack so that the head of the center pin will still sit in the hole in the axle housing that's made for the center pin (in blue on the attached picture)

If you don't have a shim that you can do that with I would call up PRG or Nisstec and tell them you want 3* shims that you put the center pin through. Should solve all of your problems.
Here is a picture of the shim that I have. You can see that the depth of the shim negates the headspace on the bolt so it ends up flush where it meets up on the bracket. FTR the allen bolt I'm using here for this example because it's the only thing that I had handy for the photo. It seems that the center bolt head would need to be double the height in order for it to insert correctly into the bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190614_171308.jpg (40.6 KB, 6 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra X 6MT 2wd

Garage
I think the hole in your shim is too big - the head of the center pin should be clamping it in basically as part of the leaf pack.
BCBrian likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack. View Post
I think the hole in your shim is too big - the head of the center pin should be clamping it in basically as part of the leaf pack.
I here what you are saying. As shipped the holes were drilled for OD of the threaded part of the bolt not the head. Absolutely no chance of the head inserting. I used a stepper bit to drill them. After they were redrilled, the head fit fine without any "slop" but not clamping or pressed in so to say. I still don't understand how this would provide any ability for the shim not to not slip on the axle bracket other than the shear torque of the u-bolts. It seems that it would help with the alignment to a degree.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Lava Red ❌terra S

Wait...so it sounds like they were shipped correctly. The hole should only fit the threaded diameter of the center pin and the head of it should rest on top. That ensures that the head of the center pin will fit into the holes on the axle that your previous center pins fit in. That center pin (along with the u bolts) will keep the axle from sliding around.

If you used a step bit to enlarge the hole so the head of the center pin would slide through you're out a set of shims and need to reorder.

Edit: added a picture of what it should look like that I found elsewhere on the site. Long story short, if you want to add shims you'll need to get two new ones and install like mentioned above. Thicker part goes toward the front of the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: png FAFD598F-28E6-48E0-97B4-0803B797B3F8_1560561240021.png (1.08 MB, 15 views)
BlueRidgeX and BCBrian like this.

Last edited by duxsterra; 06-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxsterra View Post
Wait...so it sounds like they were shipped correctly. The hole should only fit the threaded diameter of the center pin and the head of it should rest on top. That ensures that the head of the center pin will fit into the holes on the axle that your previous center pins fit in. That center pin (along with the u bolts) will keep the axle from sliding around.

If you used a step bit to enlarge the hole so the head of the center pin would slide through you're out a set of shims and need to reorder.

Edit: added a picture of what it should look like that I found elsewhere on the site. Long story short, if you want to add shims you'll need to get two new ones and install like mentioned above. Thicker part goes toward the front of the truck.
That makes perfect since now. Where I went wrong was the shims got separated from the bolts in the parts shuffle and by following the instructions on the deavers, which called for flipping the existing deaver bolts (as shipped). So basically I used the wrong bolts. I will have to reorder. Thanks a bunch. Definitely a face slapper.

Last edited by BlueRidgeX; 06-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
My shims from PRG came with slightly longer pins. I have yet to install them, so cannot confirm w/ certainty. I'm taking Greg @ PRG's word at it now.
BCBrian likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Lava Red ❌terra S

The pins Greg ships out will be longer than you need. You typically have to grind off the excess bolt when you have everything put together.
BCBrian and BlackbirdSR71 like this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode