Alcan Observations, Rebuild Questions ? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodragon4x View Post
I had this exact same problem, and did the same thing to resolve the issue....temporarily Both sides have since creeped back over. I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove them and have another spring keeper added closer to the front of each leaf back. Pretty disappointing to have to do this from such a reputable company's product, especially considering how much $ Alcans cost.
This seems to be something that is occurring a lot lately. I know of at least one person who returned their springs to Alcan and went back to his older OME setup.

Last edited by RikRong; 06-04-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member
2015 Glacier White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
This seems to be something that is occurring a lot lately. I know of at least one person who returned their springs to Alcan and went back to his older OME setup.

Ive thought about it but itís been over a year now so no more warranty . They donít seem too keen to help with resolving the issue. They were paid for the springs and seems the customer service stops there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra S Plus

They did tell me they would do more if that didn't fix it. I only bought 300 lbs over and thus they are starting to flatten. I will order 5 or 600 over next time and ask for an extra keeper up by the end of the 3rd leaf if it count down from the top including the military wrap as the current one is about in the middle from the mount to the pin and the military wrap is only about 4 inches past the pin so it doesn't get held by the back keeper. I love how they work, just want a bit more restraint while twisting.
BCBrian likes this.

Last edited by NYTKSHR; 06-04-2019 at 11:12 PM.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Supporting Member
2015 Glacier White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTKSHR View Post
They did tell me they would do more if that didn't fix it. I only bought 300 lbs over and thus they are starting to flatten. I will order 5 or 600 over next time and ask for an extra keeper up by the end of the 3rd leaf if it count down from the top including the military wrap as the current one is about in the middle from the mount to the pin and the military wrap is only about 4 inches past the pin so it doesn't get held by the back keeper. I love how they work, just want a bit more restraint while twisting.
What did you end up doing about yours? I just talked with Bill as I did what Bob had mentioned and cut a bit of the tube from the front keep and tighten it down more, but the torque (military wrap) leaf worked its way back to the inside and hits the frame in the mount, and the bushings don't look all that great either, so make sure to check yours. Bill gave me 2 options....send my leaf packs back and they'll "fix" them, somehow, or either cut the hook off the leaf, or remove the leaf, and they'd send me new bushings. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with them now. Pretty disappointing. Don't think I'll go with Alcans again in the future whenever it comes time to replace them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra S Plus

I shortened the tubes front and back, maybe a bit more than 1/8". The rest of the pack is staying fairly straight now and the wrap moved towards the middle a tiny bot, but I still see space between it and the mount. I have driven it hard since and need to rebuild my radflos front and back and may need heavier back springs as well as they are starting to flatten and push the wheels towards the back of the opening. I only bought 300 over, should have likely gotten 700. I will likely get Alcan again, but will ask for an extra keeper near the front.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Ha. I found it. Fiction disc is M.I.A. (pic below)

Also took off the leaf hit it with a hammer has suggested by Rik, and grinded the sleeves down. Maybe an 1/8th or so. Probably not necessary for this set.

Been very happy with them so far. Ordered 600 over. Way more than suggested. Was a little harsh without weight in back at first. Now it is perfect to me.

Notes: the sleeves in the poly bushings on SPC a arms were tough to get in. Actually required a hammer on one. Getting them out is an adventure too.
On the Alcans the sleeves push right in and out easy. Seems like tolerance is different. Not sure which is better or not. Interesting.
Makes them easy to re-lube.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
RikRong and kolsky like this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Build Thread
(StormTrooper Gretchen (big,white,fat,ugly,and German): 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure White

Last edited by AdventureRider81; 06-13-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode