Anyone have Experience with these Coils? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Anyone have Experience with these Coils?

So I recently replaced my tired shocks with 5100s, on the front I was looking to just level it out and set them at 1”. Well apparently my stock coils are shot because they’ve gradually settled to only 0.25” of lift over when I installed them a month ago. I also purchased a set of the Moog coils but after fighting with them I arrived at the conclusion that they are pretty much impossible to run with any setting other than the lowest. Further research has revealed that, generally speaking, they’re crap anyway.

After some searching, I found a thread on AC Coils. From there I found the linked springs that claim to add 1.5” of lift. Are these the AC Coils? There is no brand referenced but it’s the same vendor that carried the ACs.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981444-...ont-coils.html

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zanethan; 05-19-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
So I recently replaced my tired shocks with 5100s, on the front I was looking to just level it out and set them at 1”. Well apparently my stock coils are shot because they’ve gradually settled to only 0.25” of lift over when I installed them a month ago. I also purchased a set of the Moog coils but after fighting with them I arrived at the conclusion that they are pretty much impossible to run with any setting other than the lowest. Further research has revealed that, generally speaking, they’re crap anyway.

After some searching, I found a thread on AC Coils. From there I found the linked springs that claim to add 1.5” of lift. Are these the AC Coils? There is no brand referenced but it’s the same vendor that carried the ACs.

Which Moog coils did you use? Just asking because although I think most everything moog makes these days is junk, the coils I got from them have been the one thing I have no complaints about and I have my 5100's set to 1".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Quote:

Everyone I’ve seen that has ran that combo wasn’t happy with it. People used to do that all the time 5+ years ago.

Your best bet is probably to get new oem Xterra or v8 pathfinder coils (v8 pathy coils are slightly longer for the extra weight of the v8)

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Which Moog coils did you use? Just asking because although I think most everything moog makes these days is junk, the coils I got from them have been the one thing I have no complaints about and I have my 5100's set to 1".

They are the 81280s purchased from Rockauto. If you have the same ones how In the world did you get them on?? I don’t see how it’s possible to get the spring compressor tool out once you assemble the strut. Maybe I should take the assemblies to a shop to swap out the coils.

Click Here for >
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
They are the 81280s purchased from Rockauto. If you have the same ones how In the world did you get them on?? I don’t see how it’s possible to get the spring compressor tool out once you assemble the strut. Maybe I should take the assemblies to a shop to swap out the coils.
Oh I know what you're talking about. Yeah that had me stuck for a few minutes until I figured out a way to get it off.

The way I got the spring compressor off was once the coilover was assembled was to unscrew the long bolt from the clamps, screw it into one of them at a time and then use it as a lever to pop it out. On a couple of them I had to slide the clamp over to a section with more space but once I started doing that it didn't take long.

A few years ago when I replaced the factory set with a pair of 4600's I pulled them off the truck and took them to a shop to assemble for me, they charged me $60 for it and took no time at all to do. If you go that route make sure to call the shops around you first because all of the chains told me they don't assemble outside parts.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-19-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with these coils?

Quote:
Oh I know what you're talking about. Yeah that had me stuck for a few minutes until I figured out a way to get it off.

The way I got the spring compressor off was once the coilover was assembled was to unscrew the long bolt from the clamps, screw it into one of them at a time and then use it as a lever to pop it out. On a couple of them I had to slide the clamp over to a section with more space but once I started doing that it didn't take long.

A few years ago when I replaced the factory set with a pair of 4600's I pulled them off the truck and took them to a shop to assemble for me, they charged me $60 for it and took no time at all to do. If you go that route make sure to call the shops around you first because all of the chains told me they don't assemble outside parts.

Gottcha I’ll give that a try then. What compressor tool do you have? Also, how do the Moogs ride with them set at 1”?

Click Here for >

Last edited by zanethan; 05-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:

Yep - I have the same story. I have the cheap Moog coils on both my fronty and X and am happy with them so far, about a year on the fronty with no issues.

And I also had to completely disassemble my spring compressors to get them in and out of the coils. In fact I am a moron and the first time I did it I put the washer to hold the dust cover on in the wrong place, and got to do the first set twice. Luckily I noticed it before I installed them.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Garage
Until yesterday I would have told you not great, but I removed the front sway bar and it's like a different truck entirely, the ride quality is great. I also have a 2" spacer on top just fyi.

And to the man who had to do it twice, I salute you, that must have been really awful haha

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 PM
2007 Xterra OFFROAD 6SPD

Quote:
Until yesterday I would have told you not great, but I removed the front sway bar and it's like a different truck entirely, the ride quality is great. I also have a 2" spacer on top just fyi.

And to the man who had to do it twice, I salute you, that must have been really awful haha
So you think these 81280 springs are stiffer than stock, even though they are advertised as factory replacements? I plan to do what you have done and remove the sway bar but was looking for stiffer springs, I have 145k miles on my original ones.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:

Story of my life.

I am really good at it now though. When I did the second set for my other rig a few months later it took no time at all!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode