Adjusting Torsion Bars - Yes or No? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Adjusting Torsion Bars - Yes or No?

Hey everyone! I've got a 2005 off-road. I've been debating about whether to do a leveling kit or not. It would cost about $1400 (I'm in Canada) and would be 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the back. I've got 33 inch wranglers on her and cut out some of the wheel well liner in the front, which helped to stop the rubbing. My issue is that it looks dumb AF so low in the front. I came across some articles and videos about adjusting the torsion bars to level up the front. I've read that Xterra are supposed to be lower in the front for handling and braking, which was news to me as I thought that the back was higher to allow for towing. I'm not going to be towing. So I've got 2 questions. 1) will leveling impact handling and braking enough that I shouldn't level? 2) has anyone leveled the front by adjusting the torsion bars and are there any issues from that? I don't mind spending the $ to do a proper level but would rather not if I don't have to. Please note that I am 5ft and I've already had to buy a Thule Hullavator because getting my kayak on was a pain and the Hullavator brought down is already still kind of high up, so bringing her up 2 more inches might not be the best thing for me. So, to adjust the torsion bars or to not adjust them? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Lava Red ❌terra S

Spend some time scouring around on this site and check the suspension sticky threads. The 2nd generation X's (05-15) don't have torsion bars, they use coilovers in the front and leaf packs in the rear. Plenty of budget options if you're just looking for a lift without performance gains (spacer + shackle lift) but they will decrease the life of your potentially tired '05 suspension.

I suspect the articles you were reading were in regards to the 1st gen X's that do have torsion bars up front.

Happy hunting and post around on those suspension threads if you have questions about specific things, the community is always happy to help.
PebblePimp likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Damn that is news to me. Thank you for letting me know! I'll take a look.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 PM
NewXíer 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
I used to live and work in PG, I miss it. For that kind of cash, I would pass. You can easily get spacers for the front and an adjustable shackle for about $200 USD. Even after taxes and shipping that is under $500.

The most important thing is are you in an automatic and aware of SMOD? Have the timing chains been done? Make reading up on these your priority before anything else!
PebblePimp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:08 PM
2005 Avalanche White Xterra S 6MT

I was looking at spacers & Add-A-Leaf for my 05. After driving it more on dirt roads I came to the realization that my suspension is worn out (still handles great in pavement, just lost travel on the dirt). It took me a while to figure that out. After my experiences, I would suggest a full suspension. Some of the rig locations Iíve been on lately, I really need a lift & full replacement is the way to go. Old Man Emu makes awesome lifts. Hardcore Land Rover guys do a lot dirty things to their rigs with OME. Well worth the extra money. If you donít get off the highway much, I would suggest AALs instead of shackles.

Hold my Coconut Water and Watch this...

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 PM
2005 Avalanche White Xterra S 6MT

In regards to adjusting torsion bar equipped trucks; if youíre looking for an inch or less, itís fine. Anything over that needs parts added (new keys or actual lift). Binding & alignment can be affected past 1Ē.

Hold my Coconut Water and Watch this...

Click Here for >
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
A 2" spacer and and a single AAL are $1400? Am I missing something?
PebblePimp likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
A 2" spacer and and a single AAL are $1400? Am I missing something?

Heís probably using a shop.

RC lift kit ~$220.00 CAD
Front end alignment ~$135.00 CAD
Labor at $161 CAD / hr @ 4 hours
Just under $1,000 CAD

Iím thinking itís in the realm of what a shop might charge with fees and taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1018 View Post
Heís probably using a shop.

RC lift kit ~$220.00 CAD
Front end alignment ~$135.00 CAD
Labor at $161 CAD / hr @ 4 hours
Just under $1,000 CAD

Iím thinking itís in the realm of what a shop might charge with fees and taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell it's been a loooong time since I've paid a shop to do suspension work haha.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Can you tell it's been a loooong time since I've paid a shop to do suspension work haha.

I pay for alignments and just about nothing else - but one day I aspire for it just be feasible to just pay someone to do stuff for me.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode