Want your Opinions/Expertise - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Want your Opinions/Expertise

Looking at this kit. What do you guys think? It sounds like it covers everything, and has everything. I just don't want to be had. It's from Nisstec.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190513-135751_1557775977846.png (277.1 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:00 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra New Hotness (Pro 4X)

It really depends on what you’re trying to do. There are better set ups out there. But how hard are you going to be wheeling, planning on adding bumpers. And skids and sliders should be on your list. You can get real far with just skids, sliders, and good tires.
BlackbirdSR71 likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
It really depends on what you’re trying to do. There are better set ups out there. But how hard are you going to be wheeling, planning on adding bumpers. And skids and sliders should be on your list. You can get real far with just skids, sliders, and good tires.
Planning on offroading a few times a year. Mainly a blacktop driver. I just want to do a suspension lift. With so many different suspension kits out there I dont know which to choose. I don't want a cheapo kit that will make my X ride like **it but I don't need a kit that will allow me to climb mountains. Main goal is slightly more clearance, larger tires, and better approach angle. I would like to add bumpers one day. The plates on there are rusted. No side steps either. Trying to figure out this lift first. Don't want to just do a body lift.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

If someone could just give me a list of 3-5 lift kits that would do the job, and do it well while still keeping quality I could figure it out off of that list. But trying to choose from hundreds of lifts I can't sort through them. Like i said before it will mainly be a daily driver on the road. Off-road a few times a year. Bigger tires, more clearance and better approach angle. But I know if I buy a $150 spacer kit it would be junk. I want something decent.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM

It doesn’t take a lot of lift to climb mountains. If you’re daily driving it your main concern should be protection of vital drive line parts and things like your rockers. Spacers, Add A Leaf, and a high quality shock will get you up higher. You can already clear 285s (33”) stock. All you have to do is heat up and push back part of the plastic fender liner. Search “Melt Mod”.

Only way to improve approach angle is with aftermarket bumpers.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
It doesn’t take a lot of lift to climb mountains. If you’re daily driving it your main concern should be protection of vital drive line parts and things like your rockers. Spacers, Add A Leaf, and a high quality shock will get you up higher. You can already clear 285s (33”) stock. All you have to do is heat up and push back part of the plastic fender liner. Search “Melt Mod”
Only way Tom improve approach angle is with aftermarket bumpers.
Thank you. Are there kits out there that have those things in them? Or do I have to buy each piece seperately? The reason I'm pushing a kit is so when it's installed I won't be missing anything.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Not exactly how I described. But you can’t go wrong with OME, front a rear shocks with a Nisstec AAL. But my opinion is honestly subjective. I’ve never run the OME. But used Bilsteins and was never impressed with them.

The skids I think you can order them as a set on Nisstec. And Sliders are personal choice as there are several to choose from. I personally like the White Knuckle. But yet again, subjective as I don’t have them. They weren’t available when I bought mine. I’ve helped install several sets and like their build quality and the way they mount.

I really suggest reading the appropriate stickies threads within the suspension and exterior sub forums. You’ll learn a lot, make more informed purchase decision. And in the long run you’ll be happier with your purchases and hopefully not left wanting more or better quality.

Click Here for >

Last edited by Ripper; 05-13-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Not exactly how I described. But you can’t go wrong with OME, front a rear shocks with a Nisstec AAL. But my opinion is honestly subjective. I’ve never run the OME. But used Bilsteins and was never impressed with them.

The skids I think you can order them as a set on Nisstec. And Sliders are personal choice as there are several to choose from. I personally like the White Knuckle. But yet again, subjective as I don’t have them. They weren’t available when I bought mine. I’ve helped install several sets and like their build quality and the way they mount.

I really suggest reading the appropriate stickies threads within the suspension and exterior sub forums. You’ll learn a lot, make more informed purchase decision. And in the long run you’ll be happier with your purchases and hopefully not left wanting more or better quality.
I have read the sticky for suspension 101, and it was a guy asking lots of questions to another guy who got increasingly more irritated with each question. I don't want to ask tons of questions and piss people off. I just want a comprehensive list of lift kits so I can make a better decision. For example. This list is for looks only, and this list is for looks, and light offroading, this list is strictly for hardcore offroading, stuff like that. Don't want to pay for something that I won't use properly, or get something that isn't up to my expectations.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Well, I figured there would be something like that in the stickies. I bet there is, but wading through all that can be a pain. I get it. The good news is you’ve clearly got my attention and I’m willing to help. I won’t get pissy with your questions, so long as you listen or more so, make an effort to comprehend what I’m saying. Not just get pissed and get testy when you may not like the answer.

Moving forward. You’re clearing grasping the basic concept, when it comes to for show, light duty, and high end high performance.

Just slapping on spacers and shackles with give you lift, the ride quality will depend on the shocks you choose. Both other things like weight from skids, sliders, and gear are going to make a difference in ride quality as well. Even with good shocks.

I personally didn’t like the Bilstiens cause I thought they were too soft. I like a harsher stiffer ride. But I also had bumpers and would carry a bunch of camping gear. That’s why I suggested the OME set up. You won’t really need UCAs, as youre right at the cusp of max lift we’re you won’t need them. You can add them down the road if you see the need arise. Same with spring rate for the front coils. You can run standard rate coils, when you add more weight from skids/bumper you can move up to HD coils.

Pretty much the same concept it the rear. Add a leaf (AAL), or full packs, and you can even add an extra HD leaf to a full pack. Plus lift shackles.

Couple that with the skids, sliders and good tires, you can run harder more challenging trails, even if you have to drag the skids/sliders over everything. Hell thats what they are for.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Click Here for >

Last edited by Ripper; 05-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Well, I figured there would be something like that in the stickies. I bet there is, but wading through all that can be a pain. I get it. The good news is you’ve clearly got my attention and I’m willing to help. I won’t get pissy with your questions, so long as you listen or more so, make an effort to comprehend what I’m saying. Not just get pissed and get testy when you may not like the answer.

Moving forward. You’re clearing grasping the basic concept, when it comes to for show, light duty, and high end high performance.

Just slapping on spacers and shackles with give you lift, the ride quality will depend on the shocks you choose. Both other things like weight from skids, sliders, and gear are going to make a difference in ride quality as well. Even with good shocks.

I personally didn’t like the Bilstiens cause I thought they were too soft. I like a harsher stiffer ride. But I also had bumpers and would carry a bunch of camping gear. That’s why I suggested the OME set up. You won’t really need UCAs, as youre right at the cusp of max lift we’re you won’t need them. You can add them down the road if you see the need arise. Same with spring rate for the front coils. You can run standard rate coils, when you add more weight from skids/bumper you can move up to HD coils.

Pretty much the same concept it the rear. Add a leaf (AAL), or full packs, and you can even add an extra HD leaf to a full pack. Plus lift shackles.

Couple that with the skids, sliders and good tires, you can run harder more challenging trails, even if you have to drag the skids/sliders over everything. Hell thats what they are for.
Thanks for the info. Would you mind posting the parts you talked about exactly without acronyms so I can look them up and price them? Also would just new shocks and coils with spacers do the job?Or should I get them and add a leaf kit?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode