Front Sway Bar - Articulation Question ? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Front Sway Bar - Articulation Question ?

Guys, I've tried searching for my specific question, didn't seem to find any solid answer. I'm on the Radflo coilovers, 600 lb springs, SPC UCA, basically the PRG Advanced kit which gives me about 2.5" lift. Rear has Deaver AALs, Bilsteins. Stock front bumper. My question is related to crawling downhills with moderate articulation. My front swaybar is still on, and I've read that with it off I can get about 2" more 'stuff' into the wheel wells, i.e. better articulation. So, with the bar off going into a good sized dip, let's say passenger front, will the truck drop into it much softer and give more tendency to tip? Or, with the better articulation the pass front wheel will drop more and stop the tip?

I haven't compared, but hoping the bar off would be best since I'm on those 600 lb springs, i.e. won't be too tippy vs stock. With my Hefty alum front coming soon, I may upgrade to 650 lbs. Thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 AM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

With the sway bar off, you gain more articulation which will allow the tire going into a dip to hit the ground easier and keep you more stable. Taking the sway bar off also translates to a smoother highway ride as larger potholes aren't as jarring. But there will be more "roll" in the truck on pavement around turns and such. It's something you'll get used to.

I'm running 600lb springs with a Hefty aluminum bumper and winch and no sway bar. I think it's the perfect setup.
BCBrian likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM
2013 Brilliant Silver Xterra Off Road

Garage
+1

Taking the sway off, will help against tipping over, since the front tires can move freely, and independently from each other.

So in other words, in your case, the "falling" front right (passenger) tire, can travel further down and "meet" ground even if the front left tire is pushed up by a rock. And this will happen more easily without the sway bar.

In these flexing photos , i have the front sway deleted. If it wasn't deleted, the front left tire won't be able to drop down "as much" and that will be compensated by more body roll to stabilize the car.

What i am trying to prove, is though limited, deleting the sway will help with better flexibility and hence better stability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_140616 (1).jpg (56.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_140556 (1).jpg (57.3 KB, 14 views)
Dave940 likes this.

Keep revving

Last edited by JadAl; 04-28-2019 at 01:38 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

^^ It helps with tipping over at slow speeds on uneven terrain off pavement.

On pavement at highway speeds, you have a LOT more body roll. If you daily-drive your Xterra and put a lot of highway miles on it, I would not take it off. It takes away your ability to swerve hard on the highway really, even after getting used to the no-swaybar dynamics.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
On pavement at highway speeds, you have a LOT more body roll. If you daily-drive your Xterra and put a lot of highway miles on it, I would not take it off. It takes away your ability to swerve hard on the highway really, even after getting used to the no-swaybar dynamics.
I disagree. I dd my truck and find myself at highway speed regularly and drive the truck just as aggressively now as I did before I took it off. I did take me a LONG time to get used to not have a front sway bar on though. There's more roll taking sharp turns and weaving through highway traffic. Once you've trained yourself to anticipate it, you stop noticing it altogether.

To the OP, It's not a permanent decision. You can always take it off, store it in your garage or a closet and put it back on if you don't like it.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
I disagree. I dd my truck and find myself at highway speed regularly and drive the truck just as aggressively now as I did before I took it off
I've heard this from others as well lol. I wonder what the difference is. I am Titan Swapped and 650# springs (full armor though) but I know that if I try to swerve from one lane to another lane and back at 65mph I'll be in the ditch. I have to take on-ramps and S-curves slower. Traction control comes on if I run too hard. The body roll makes it feel like the G-forces are 2x higher than they really are.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:20 PM
2013 Brilliant Silver Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
I disagree. I dd my truck and find myself at highway speed regularly and drive the truck just as aggressively now as I did before I took it off. I did take me a LONG time to get used to not have a front sway bar on though. There's more roll taking sharp turns and weaving through highway traffic. Once you've trained yourself to anticipate it, you stop noticing it altogether.

To the OP, It's not a permanent decision. You can always take it off, store it in your garage or a closet and put it back on if you don't like it.
Agree...... i got used to the front sway delete quite fast, perhaps the desert driving makes it easier to get used to it...

once you get over it mentally, it is quite fun .... i am always experimenting with it, and can't say so far it put me in a dangerous situation.

yes the traction control does kick in more often, but nothing alarming.

One of the main reason i took it off, is the awkward angles at which the sway links sit with a 2.5" lift. And also it looks cleaner

Keep revving
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
I've heard this from others as well lol. I wonder what the difference is. I am Titan Swapped and 650# springs (full armor though) but I know that if I try to swerve from one lane to another lane and back at 65mph I'll be in the ditch. I have to take on-ramps and S-curves slower. Traction control comes on if I run too hard. The body roll makes it feel like the G-forces are 2x higher than they really are.
I'm not Titan swapped and I have softer springs but otherwise, basically the same setup. You'd think the wider stance of the TS would make it better, not worse. Unless your lift is also cranked up higher as well? I'm maxed out at 3".
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
I have brand new stock springs, 2" spacers, bilstein 5100s and SPC UCA. Broke endlinks first time on the trail post lift and removed the FSB. Seemed fine until I had to make an emergency maneuver on the highway. I am making extended length links now to put the FSB back on. The vehicle is not nearly as capable on road when needing to make these maneuvers. Stiffer springs will help a bit.

As mentioned, the FSB is really easy to remove, give it a shot and see how you feel. I thought it was fine until I needed it so you should try to actually test it in a situation which it would help.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind46 View Post
I have brand new stock springs, 2" spacers, bilstein 5100s and SPC UCA. Broke endlinks first time on the trail post lift and removed the FSB. Seemed fine until I had to make an emergency maneuver on the highway. I am making extended length links now to put the FSB back on. The vehicle is not nearly as capable on road when needing to make these maneuvers. Stiffer springs will help a bit.

As mentioned, the FSB is really easy to remove, give it a shot and see how you feel. I thought it was fine until I needed it so you should try to actually test it in a situation which it would help.
Agreed. The stock springs are rated at something like 400lbs. Way too soft to consider taking the sway bar off.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode