Front Sway Bar - Articulation Question ? - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
I'll be removing my FSB soon. Another question related to travel since now freed up from the FSB removal. Is anyone running the SPC Radflo Eibach 600lb coilover kit WITH any added small spacer, like 1"? My coil bucket has been shaved, so no CBC worries, but what about CV bind at full droop?

Need just a bit more clearance. Thanks guys, again....

EDIT: Just talked to Greg at PRG since I got the Advanced kit from him. His recommendation since each truck is slightly different in susp tolerances plus these kits were made with safe allowances for longevity, is to measure:

a) jack up and remove front tire
b) remove lower shock bolt and let susp droop fully, make sure nothing is binding (coil bucket, FSB)
c) turn the axle MANUALLY until you feel the cv starting to bind, then come up 1/2", cv should be smooth again when turning the axle.
d) measure the shock mount on LCA to the shock bolt hole.
e) this measurement to give them the proper 'safe' spacer sizing to use. Per Greg he can make any spacer with this measurement.

Hope this helps. Don't just guess on what will work since each truck can be a little different.

Hey I'm also not responsible for any miscalculations here, measure yourself.

Last edited by X4dblduty; 05-07-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
I'll be removing my FSB soon. Another question related to travel since now freed up from the FSB removal. Is anyone running the SPC Radflo Eibach 600lb coilover kit WITH any added small spacer, like 1"? My coil bucket has been shaved, so no CBC worries, but what about CV bind at full droop?

EDIT: Just talked to Greg at PRG since I got the Advanced kit from him. His recommendation since each truck is slightly different in susp tolerances plus these kits were made with safe allowances for longevity, is to measure:

b) remove lower shock bolt and let susp droop fully, make sure nothing is binding (coil bucket, FSB)
c) turn the axle MANUALLY until you feel the cv starting to bind, then come up 1/2", cv should be smooth again when turning the axle.
e) this measurement to give them the proper 'safe' spacer sizing to use. Per Greg he can make any spacer with this measurement.

Hope this helps. Don't just guess on what will work since each truck can be a little different.

This is good advice. The traditional wisdom is that you can't eek more than 3" of lift out of these trucks without titan swapping. But I'm running nearly 3.5" with no CBC or binding. There are a lot of instances where there are some extreme variances in these trucks.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
This is good advice. The traditional wisdom is that you can't eek more than 3" of lift out of these trucks without titan swapping. But I'm running nearly 3.5" with no CBC or binding. There are a lot of instances where there are some extreme variances in these trucks.
With that set up at 3+, do you DD your truck, i.e. put decent miles on it? Another thing mentioned by Greg was, even if the CV is not binding the inner boot can be pinched enough to tear first. Boot should be in good pliable condition.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
With that set up at 3+, do you DD your truck, i.e. put decent miles on it? Another thing mentioned by Greg was, even if the CV is not binding the inner boot can be pinched enough to tear first. Boot should be in good pliable condition.
I DD it, though likely not as much as other people. I take the train to work so it's only used to commute to and from the train station most weekdays.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:

I have the same PRG lift as OP and had room for a custom 1 1/4" spacer. That gave me full droop without any chance of CV bind or ball joint destruction. Didn't even have to adjust the Radflos from factory 2" setting to get 3 1/2" lift and smooth ride over stock. Also got my config info from Greg when I ordered. Hell of a guy!! Ditto on the quote for variances in X specs. Measure your own rig, even if it's just to be in the know, cuz they're all unique. Now I think it's time to get rid of my FSB.
X4dblduty and Mastermind46 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AWW FRELL!!!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FSB removed, oh yeah definitely feel the difference on cornering and sharp turns. Makes steering feel slower too. This is even with my Radflos w 600 lb springs, stock bumper for now. Will test droop and traction at Big Bear this weekend, White Mtn etc. Should help front articulation.
pharaon19 likes this.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Just removed my fsb few days ago. Havenít been out on the highway with it like that yet, but slower streets and housing tracks donít feel toooo bad. Smoother yes, but as my dd, Iíll need time on that. Full articulation isnít a big requirement on the street, unless I have to hop the curb to avoid the NY idiots. Too bad I canít lean into curves like my atv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AWW FRELL!!!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
I've debated this, but I think I do too much city driving, too many times where having to turn/swerve abruptly occur, and I drive too fast on the HW

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Mine must be the exception that only improved across the board with it off. Weirdly I still have the rear on though.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah it really depends on the most use, handling DOES change. I just came back from wheeling and FSB-delete first time helped quite a bit on flex and traction, happy with that! But, driving up and down those mtn roads did give more roll, sluggish, you do need to adjust driving style. And Iím already on Radflos 600lb springs. With stock spring at about 450lbs could be dangerous.

But, here was one observation I found. At first I aired up to 32 psi on my KO2s on the way down, steering and handling still sluggish. Then I aired up to 40 psi, recommended for daily drives, big improvement! Those taller sidewalls will make a difference with air pressure alone. Steering was sharper, handling less lean on turn-in. Worth a try.

- - - Adventures on 4 and 2 wheels! - - -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode