Front Sway Bar - Articulation Question ? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
2006 Storm Gray Frontier OR KC NISMO 4x4 6MT

No amount of words on this page will allow you to feel how the X rides without the sway bar. The first time you remove the bar it takes 30 min or so. Once familiar it is a 15 min job. Try it you will like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
I've heard this from others as well lol. I wonder what the difference is. I am Titan Swapped and 650# springs (full armor though) but I know that if I try to swerve from one lane to another lane and back at 65mph I'll be in the ditch. I have to take on-ramps and S-curves slower. Traction control comes on if I run too hard. The body roll makes it feel like the G-forces are 2x higher than they really are.
Changing this message. I took the sway bar off and the truck drives way better than with it. Same day I removed I went out on the interstate until I got to a clear section to practice emergency lane changing, slowly at first and then getting more aggressive with it. I had no issue with it, I am still running the rear sway bar which might be why, or it's 13 years experience driving the same truck, at this point I can put it exactly where I want it on the road.
whatnext likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-23-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:59 AM
2014 Frontier SV & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X

Quite a fair number of Frontiers have gone the "disconnect" route before removal as pulling a sway link is faster/easier to test it out on the street.
However the Frontier is far less tippy than an X (stock-ish config) without all that body above the belt line and extra 2ft wheelbase...
But try that before pulling the entire sway bar to see how you like the on-road handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind46 View Post
I have brand new stock springs, 2" spacers, bilstein 5100s and SPC UCA. Broke endlinks first time on the trail post lift and removed the FSB. Seemed fine until I had to make an emergency maneuver on the highway. I am making extended length links now to put the FSB back on. The vehicle is not nearly as capable on road when needing to make these maneuvers. Stiffer springs will help a bit...
PRG has extended sway links (listed under Titan suspension) that are IIRC 1" - 2" longer over stock.

2014 Frontier SV -Nightarmor
2015 Xterra Pro4X -Nightarmor

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Great feedbacks! Couple of things, I wonder if going 650 lbs will help lessen the on-road wallow vs my 600. I do only have the Hefty alum front bumper and Warn winch so not sure if that rate is needed. Second thing, someone mentioned disconnecting an end link, doesn’t that loose FSB end interfere with the LCA on full travel? Last, I could r/r the FSB each time but man that’s a pain since it’s behind my Shrock rad skid, bolts hard to get to. But this maybe the only best option since I still DD mine.

Hey does anyone make a thinner FSB or another Nissan unit that fits??
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
Quite a fair number of Frontiers have gone the "disconnect" route before removal as pulling a sway link is faster/easier to test it out on the street.
However the Frontier is far less tippy than an X (stock-ish config) without all that body above the belt line and extra 2ft wheelbase...
But try that before pulling the entire sway bar to see how you like the on-road handling.

PRG has extended sway links (listed under Titan suspension) that are IIRC 1" - 2" longer over stock.
Wait a min, I wonder if these PRG extended links can be used giving more clearance by removing an endlink and not have any LCA interference on this ‘disconnect’ mode. Maybe worth a try?

A disconnect is best of what I’m looking for if that’s possible.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
It's not. Removing it just isn't that big of a deal. Take it off, drive it for a week, and decide. You can't disconnect it and wheel with it on, you'll find yourself in a big mess. If you wheel, you will find the sway bar delete is one of the best mods you can do, and frankly IMO makes street driving better too.
BCBrian and X4dblduty like this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:31 AM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
Wait a min, I wonder if these PRG extended links can be used giving more clearance by removing an endlink and not have any LCA interference on this ‘disconnect’ mode. Maybe worth a try?

Unfortunately, no. The sway bar is caught between the tie rod and the LCA. The only way to have it disconnected at the end links is to remove it completely. Removing it every time you wheel would require removing the rad skid. I don't think there's enough clearance to pull it through.
X4dblduty likes this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 AM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
I'm using the how to on here to make the same links for a bit less money. Can order the main parts off McMaster carr then just need nuts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 PM
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

I do not have a Titan Swap but run 1" wheel spacers. I have 2.5" Radflo's with 650 lb springs and full armor but no winch. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and daily drive my X on very narrow twisting roads. The on road ride is much smoother, the steering is lighter and any additional body roll is so slight that I cannot feel it. As others have said.... an emergency swerve would be get my attention but I don't drive the X like a sports car, I NEVER tail gate and I am a careful driver and avoid those situations.

I drove a friends X in Moab last year that still had both anti sway bars on it and the ride was terrible! It was harsh on every small bump and the steering took way more effort than my rig. I will NEVER put the anti sway bars back on the front or rear of my X.

IMHO, the 650 lb springs reduce body roll enough to where the anti sway bars are not needed.

Click here for >

Last edited by BCBrian; 05-01-2019 at 11:46 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just did Broken Arrow, Cliffhanger, Schnebly at Sedona. Front sway still attached, still no problems really. I could tell at a few turn and drop sections an FSB-delete would help lessen the tippiness. But with the 33” KO2s at 20 psi, crawled up everything...happy!

Will definitely do the delete next wheeling, every little bit helps.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode