Looking for Suspension Advice - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
2013 Xterra S

Garage
Looking for Suspension Advice

Apologies in advance, as I'm sure these questions are asked a ton, but over the past few days I've been trying to read through some of the pinned threads, etc looking for a little guidance - and it's kinda making my head spin.

A little while back I broke one of the leafs in my stock spring pack, so they need replaced - and here's where I'm gonna ask for advice.

From what I understand the Nissan packs are fine, but if I'm going to replace them I would like to get something quality. And while I'm not looking for a lift necessarily (this is my daily driver and my wife already complains about getting in it), it's also my understanding that in planning to add some steel side rails and possibly bumpers soon, I should set up my suspension for it.

So, should I just go with new leaf springs, make changes to my front suspension as well, or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
The Nissan packs are pretty awful really, they're weak and go flat quickly. I'd replace your packs with either OME or Alcans and then do whatever mods you plan on doing. Once those are complete you'll have a better idea if you need to do anything with the front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:07 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Hey @wayward_scout... yes OME ( Old Man Emu, not to be confused with OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer) leafs are pretty good.
It's what I did. The install was straightforward. Of course, me being a bit OCD made it about 1.5 x harder than it shoulda been.

And you should consider putting in some new coilovers in the front ...your Xterra is how many miles now ?

Do you need the $730.00 Alcan leafs...nah, not really. Unless your offroading is some serious business.
Save some $ and go with the OME CS061R Dakar Leaf Springs for $ 480.00

Yes, you should use all new u-bolts. And yes, get those 3 degree shims while you're replacing the leafs.
It will keep the driveline vibrations that we all get to a minimum.

And you should consider putting in some new coilovers in the front ...your Xterra is how many miles now ?
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

A steel rear bumper weighs less than the OEM bumper plus a receiver. It's up front where you'll need extra spring strength if you add a front steel bumper.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran
2011 XTERRA P R O - 4 X Night Armor [Gray]

Garage
An easy way to look at it is OME (Old Man Emu) CS061R Old Man Emu/Dakar Leaf Spring + D37XL Old Man Emu Dakar Extra Leaf is a perfect replacement for the street / mall crawler and once a year off-roader. If you plan on doing more off roading I'd go with the custom built Alcan's.

Get outdoors and have some fun!

Build Page:

Gone but not forgotten: 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Speed
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 PM
2013 Brilliant Silver Xterra Off Road

Garage
+1 for OME leaf pack.

i have it for the last 1.5 years, with all sand and desert drives, still no squeaks.

Keep revving
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
2013 Xterra S

Garage
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
An easy way to look at it is OME (Old Man Emu) CS061R Old Man Emu/Dakar Leaf Spring + D37XL Old Man Emu Dakar Extra Leaf is a perfect replacement for the street / mall crawler and once a year off-roader. If you plan on doing more off roading I'd go with the custom built Alcan's.
This sounds like the route I'm likely to go, then if I need to do anything else later I can.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
2013 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
I just wanted to pop back in and say that I just had the CS061R + D37XL put in yesterday and man, what an improvement to the ride! It also added ~2" lift in the back which I'm going to either need to level out in the front or get used to in the short term.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
2006 Silver Lightning Xterra S

Why the extra leaf with the OME leaf pack? How much lift does the OME provide on their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Grocery Getter"
Firestone Destination A/T P265/75-16
2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, quad cab, 4x4, Hemi
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra OR 4x4 6MT

I believe it's qouted as 1.5" but it depends on the health of your factory leaf pack.

I just installed my used OME springs, without the HD leaf (and without a broken leaf in the stock springs) and got about 1.5." I heard the HD leaf made it ride like a dump truck, so I avoided it.

Stock (not on the most level of ground, but best I could find):

OME front, stock rear:

OME front and rear:

EDIT:

The first photo of the stock suspension was not on the most level ground, and the rear looks higher than it actually was. It gives a good indication of the stock ride height in front though. Of course I forgot to take hub to fender measurements before I tore everything apart.

Last edited by VanceOnTheInternet; 04-10-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode