Lift Guidance - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Xterra Off Road

Lift Guidance

Hello, noobie here. Looking to lift my 2010 Xterra offroad. I don’t want to do it the cheap way. I would like a nice quality lift. Not looking to make it a crawler but I would like to be able to get through most anything. Not sure if I should get a complete kit or if there is an option to create a custom kit. Need some help and direction. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 AM
2005 Red Brawn Xterra S 4x4

Garage
This is a great resource to get your started on your options.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-sus...5-xterras.html
AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

Garage
Coilovers in the front coupled with new upper control arms and adjustable camber bolts, and an aftermarket leaf spring packs in the rear, coupled with slightly longer shackles and new rear shocks that can handle the longer articulation and slonger rear brake lines... though you can make the stock brake lines work by unbolting the mounting bracket.

This is the route that I went for a 2 - 2.5" lift. It's not extreme, but it works very, very well. Specifically, the front coilovers allow for the extra weight of my Shrockworks front bumper and winch, while keeping OEM steering geometry and the wheels under the fenders and no rubbing with 33" tires, and allowed me to retain the front sway bar for highway driving. Out back the heavy duty leaf pack allows for extra weight capacity and articulation and bottom out resistance, and the longer shackles allow for maintaining the pinion angle on the driveshaft without having to use shims. Keeping the wheels under the fenders was very important to me, as I have gotten a ticket for that from the state patrol in the past on a Jeep.

Specifically for my Xterra: Radflow 2.5 coilovers and PRG upper control arms in the front, with OEM camber adjustment bolts (no longer available) and the coilovers springs adjusted for a 2 inch lift. In the back I have Alcans...I can't remember exactly how much extra weight capacity I ordered, but I want to say it was with +500lb capacity arched for a little over 1/2" lift, and greasable Daystar 2" lift shackles (no longer available I think) for a 2.5 inch lift total and longer rear shocks from PRG. I went with a total of 2.5 in the back because I knew the springs would settle some, and now my Xterra sits just slightly around 2 1/4 inches in the back when loaded up, and perfectly at 2 inches level with the front when loaded and towing a trailer.

I've been running this setup for many years now and I've been extremely happy with it. It should go without saying that the rear sway bar was removed, but I'm still running the front. The only (minor) issue I've had is that the lift in front puts extra stress on the front swaybar end links. I'm on my third set now with somewhere north of 130K miles.
eighty, ReddX and AnObfuscator like this.

"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting--died!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPzGuy View Post
Coilovers in the front coupled with new upper control arms and adjustable camber bolts, and an aftermarket leaf spring packs in the rear, coupled with slightly longer shackles and new rear shocks that can handle the longer articulation and slonger rear brake lines... though you can make the stock brake lines work by unbolting the mounting bracket.

This is the route that I went for a 2 - 2.5" lift. It's not extreme, but it works very, very well. Specifically, the front coilovers allow for the extra weight of my Shrockworks front bumper and winch, while keeping OEM steering geometry and the wheels under the fenders and no rubbing with 33" tires, and allowed me to retain the front sway bar for highway driving. Out back the heavy duty leaf pack allows for extra weight capacity and articulation and bottom out resistance, and the longer shackles allow for maintaining the pinion angle on the driveshaft without having to use shims. Keeping the wheels under the fenders was very important to me, as I have gotten a ticket for that from the state patrol in the past on a Jeep.

Specifically for my Xterra: Radflow 2.5 coilovers and PRG upper control arms in the front, with OEM camber adjustment bolts (no longer available) and the coilovers springs adjusted for a 2 inch lift. In the back I have Alcans...I can't remember exactly how much extra weight capacity I ordered, but I want to say it was with +500lb capacity arched for a little over 1/2" lift, and greasable Daystar 2" lift shackles (no longer available I think) for a 2.5 inch lift total and longer rear shocks from PRG. I went with a total of 2.5 in the back because I knew the springs would settle some, and now my Xterra sits just slightly around 2 1/4 inches in the back when loaded up, and perfectly at 2 inches level with the front when loaded and towing a trailer.

I've been running this setup for many years now and I've been extremely happy with it. It should go without saying that the rear sway bar was removed, but I'm still running the front. The only (minor) issue I've had is that the lift in front puts extra stress on the front swaybar end links. I'm on my third set now with somewhere north of 130K miles.

I'm in a similar position as the OP. This is extremely useful information, thanks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
2006 Granite Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Felix View Post
Not looking to make it a crawler but I would like to be able to get through most anything. Not sure if I should get a complete kit or if there is an option to create a custom kit.
You need to figure out what your goals are/where you wanna take it. Do you wanna drive over anything or are you just looking to do light wheeling and dirt roads?

Also what is the current state of your suspension? (# of miles and type of driving matters)

If you are looking for a mild lift of 2" or less and you want to save money PRG has a 5100 and AAL combo for $300 shipped. If your leaf packs are already flattened or you're having major nose dive when braking it won't help for long.

To "get through most anything" the best thing you can do is lift it once with a full titan swap. It's much more expensive but you will probably get the best results from it. Plenty of members here went with a piece by piece approach and in the end they decided to Titan swap anyway.

All that said I have the 5100 + AAL combo from PRG and I'm happy with it. I gained almost 2" and it improved my ride both on and off road. That being said my leaf packs were in decent shape and I will probably need to buy new front coils down the road sometime. Good luck researching and modding!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
2013 Brilliant Silver Xterra Off Road

Garage
If you are ready to spending couple of thousands, i suggest

Front:
SPC UCA
2.5inch shock body Radflo extended travel CO.
Adjustable camber bolts.

Rear:
OME dakar leafs (or Alcan if you can with 2" lift).
Adjustable PRG shackle, to adjust to your liking.
Emulsion 2.0 shocks (Radflo again).
Rear sway bar delete.

Currently i have this setup and very happy with the truck handling on and offroad.

Keep revving
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 PM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadAl View Post
If you are ready to spending couple of thousands, i suggest

Front:
SPC UCA
2.5inch shock body Radflo extended travel CO.
Adjustable camber bolts.

Rear:
OME dakar leafs (or Alcan if you can with 2" lift).
Adjustable PRG shackle, to adjust to your liking.
Emulsion 2.0 shocks (Radflo again).
Rear sway bar delete.

Currently i have this setup and very happy with the truck handling on and offroad.
This is almost identical to the setup on my X and I love it as well. Like @JadAl said, if you’re ready to spend a lot of money, what he listed is a great setup! Buy once, cry once!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM
2013 Brilliant Silver Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytoast View Post
This is almost identical to the setup on my X and I love it as well. Like @JadAl said, if you’re ready to spend a lot of money, what he listed is a great setup! Buy once, cry once!
learned it the expensive way

no pain no gain

Keep revving
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:12 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPzGuy View Post

How big are the tires you are running with this Setup?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra X 4x4

Garage
For $1129
you can get a PRG 3" lift kit https://www.prgproducts.com/product-...ced-3inch-lift

front: PRG UCA + PRG 1.5" spacer + Bilstein 5100 shock
rear: PRG Add-A-Leaf (aal) + Bilstein 5125 shock

it seems to be a pretty good combo and I'm doing it for my X this summer

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode