Help Wanted in SLC: Blown Steering Rack - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Chase5Hart
  • 1 Post By BlazinGuns
  • 1 Post By BlazinGuns
  • 1 Post By GeolJon
  • 2 Post By AZ-Ted
  • 1 Post By Chase5Hart
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

2007 Avalanche White ❌terra S-TSWAP

Send a message via Skype™ to Chase5Hart
Help Wanted in SLC: Blown Steering Rack

So I blew the steering rack and the dealer wants 1400 to replace it, I could do it myself for about 250 + an alignment and get a new impact gun for that cost lol. But im a student at the U and its cold and I do not feel comfortable doing the job in the dorms parking lot in the cold with possible snow. SO... anyone have a garage or a helping hand within an hour or 2 of SLC will provide beer and a good conversation lol!!
BlazinGuns likes this.

Click Here for my Build >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I replaced mine last year, but had a shop do it, so I don't think I would be much help. I think it cost me $400-500 for labor, fluid, and an alignment afterward.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

$1400 is a joke. Find another shop if you can't find anywhere to do it yourself. No way it should cost that much.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

I live in Orem, itís a ways away but Iíd be willing to help/learn how to do this. Iíve got a 2 car garage we could use, as well as ratchets and sockets. Iíve got family coming to town this week/weekend, but after that Iím pretty flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chase5Hart likes this.

Click Here for >
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Thereís also a Utah Xterra Facebook group, quite a few members live in slc.

Chase5Hart likes this.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I am willing and likely available to help out, but don't have a place to do it. I actually just replaced the steering rack bushings on my Xterra with SuperPro polys, which is about half of the battle of replacing the entire rack anyway. It was an awful job to do by myself. You might as well install some poly bushings while you are replacing the rack--they are a really nice upgrade and only $60 from Offroad Gorilla.
Chase5Hart likes this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:43 PM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Silver Lightning Xterra OR 4x4

That's actually not a horrible price from the dealer - assuming they are selling you a new rack and the necessary alignment. That being said, I would not pay dealer prices for that work.

I replaced mine back in 2011 using a re-manufactured rack from Rock Auto. Their prices including the core charge were cheaper than the bricks and mortar parts stores price without the core charge.

To remove the mounting bolts, I used a long handle combination wrench - the Harbor Freight set is perfect for this job. I pushed on the wrench with my feet, and that broke the bolts loose.

FYI, I also replaced my outer tie rod ends at the same time. The new rack already had good inner tie rods installed.
Chase5Hart and mtnbound like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

2007 Avalanche White ❌terra S-TSWAP

Send a message via Skype™ to Chase5Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinGuns View Post
I live in Orem, itís a ways away but Iíd be willing to help/learn how to do this. Iíve got a 2 car garage we could use, as well as ratchets and sockets. Iíve got family coming to town this week/weekend, but after that Iím pretty flexible.

Yeah I have final exams coming up and going home as well, what does your schedule look like for early January? My phone number is 404-788-6348
BlazinGuns likes this.

Click Here for my Build >
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
An impact wrench is MUST if you take this job on. I replaced my rack bushings last year and took the mounting bolts off the old fashioned way. Even with a small cheater bar there wasn't enough room to get any leverage, it took hours and by the time I was finished I was so exhausted I could barely pick up my tools. If you need new sway bar bushings or links it would be a good time to do those too since you have to remove the bar to get to the bolts.
BlazinGuns likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode