DIY: Rack Pinion Remove and Replace? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra "S" for sexxxxyyyyy!

Garage
DIY: Rack Pinion Remove and Replace?

Has anyone done one of these? I did a search for a few different terms and came up with nothing so I was wondering if someone would like a DIY for this? I'll be doing mine this weekend with a friend so I might be able to get pictures for y'all!
TerryD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I couldn't find a how-to. Sooner or later someone will need it, go for it

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
DIY on it's way for the 4x4 Xterra!
TerryD likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
DIY on it's way for the 4x4 Xterra!
Gotta do this soon myself. I'm looking forward to having a read through!

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
I swear I'm getting on it, but we are in the middle of inventory (should be finished by Friday the 21st of Dec.). I'll have a write-up done and posted before the end of the month!

Mods: Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16s, Melt Mod, JWT 1200kg clutch and solid flywheel, Rancho Replace-A-Leaf and Coastal Offroad 3/16" plate high clearance front bumper kit (weld-it-yourself kit). Next up on the list is the Coastal Offroad Rear bumper kit with side wings.... And maybe a Grizzly lunchbox locker!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Silver Lhtg ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Plan on dropping the front diff unless you are a masochist.
GPD605X likes this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Noobie

Started the Re and Re of the rack and pinion on my personal '07 xterra off-road at my shop today. Was hoping after removing the rock guards, disconnecting the tie rod ends off the steering knuckles. Disconnecting the pitch bolt and splined steer shaft from the steer gear input shaft, dropping the sway bar to gain acces to the rack and pinion mounting bolts with my impact on the front cross member I would be able to persuade the unit out from pulling it out towards the drivers side or passengers side.

Can't be done.

Front drive shaft needs to be marked and unbolted (diff end) and moved aside. Front Diff needs to be supported, unbolted and persuaded down and back to give you enough room to remove said steer gear 😞

Ill be doing this tomorrow with out disconnecting the C/V joints from the Hub bearings. If my theory is correct that should give me enough room to remove and install the new rack and pinion.

Mind you I'm using a professional shop hoist and transmission jack to support the front diff giving me confidence that I might not need to remove the CV to hub bearings making you able to remove the entire front diff right out the way.

Results will be published if I don't forget (as I'm new to this forum stuff) will be shared tomorrow.

All the best.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana boat X View Post
Started the Re and Re of the rack and pinion on my personal '07 xterra off-road at my shop today. Was hoping after removing the rock guards, disconnecting the tie rod ends off the steering knuckles. Disconnecting the pitch bolt and splined steer shaft from the steer gear input shaft, dropping the sway bar to gain acces to the rack and pinion mounting bolts with my impact on the front cross member I would be able to persuade the unit out from pulling it out towards the drivers side or passengers side.

Can't be done.

Front drive shaft needs to be marked and unbolted (diff end) and moved aside. Front Diff needs to be supported, unbolted and persuaded down and back to give you enough room to remove said steer gear 😞

Ill be doing this tomorrow with out disconnecting the C/V joints from the Hub bearings. If my theory is correct that should give me enough room to remove and install the new rack and pinion.

Mind you I'm using a professional shop hoist and transmission jack to support the front diff giving me confidence that I might not need to remove the CV to hub bearings making you able to remove the entire front diff right out the way.

Results will be published if I don't forget (as I'm new to this forum stuff) will be shared tomorrow.

All the best.
Interested to hear if that works. Thanks.

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Noobie

Update on the rack and pinion replacement job.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to remove the front differential.

My theory did eventually work only after lifting the engine about 3cm along with manipulating the front diff down and back a few centimeters. .

Jobs done but like I said do yourself a favor and take the time to remove the front diff before your tackle the rack and pinion.

Best of luck.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Sorry about the delay ladies and gentlemen but my truck was used as a barrier over the holidays while I was out of the city. I've been getting that dealt with for the last while. Total damage looks to be near $5000 and that's going to be covered by my insurance. I might post pictures.... I'm just too depressed to think about doing that right now.

I'm still working on the R & R but that's coming along well (it keeps me distracted from thinking about the truck in general).

Mods: Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16s, Melt Mod, JWT 1200kg clutch and solid flywheel, Rancho Replace-A-Leaf and Coastal Offroad 3/16" plate high clearance front bumper kit (weld-it-yourself kit). Next up on the list is the Coastal Offroad Rear bumper kit with side wings.... And maybe a Grizzly lunchbox locker!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode