I Think my Shims are Cracking.... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2007 Night Armor Xterra SE

Garage
I Think my Shims are Cracking....

So I've been noticing more clunking and popping from the back leaf springs than normal. I haven't been able to get it in the air and really take it apart and check the springs, but from what it looks like the pinion angle shim appears to be cracked in half, and since the middle of the shim is concave I believe this allows the leaf to 'rotate' a bit against the rear axle, since the cracked shim allows play.

I could be wrong, the popping and sounds could all just be because it's an OME/Dakar setup, and I've heard they're pretty noisy, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Your shim shouldn't be concave and your leafs shouldn't be rotating at all. If they are, you need to replace your center pin and tighten your u-bolts (loose u-bolts break center pins).

If your u-bolts are tight, check out your bushings. The OME bushings are absolute garbage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra SE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMaverick View Post
So I've been noticing more clunking and popping from the back leaf springs than normal. I haven't been able to get it in the air and really take it apart and check the springs, but from what it looks like the pinion angle shim appears to be cracked in half, and since the middle of the shim is concave I believe this allows the leaf to 'rotate' a bit against the rear axle, since the cracked shim allows play.

I could be wrong, the popping and sounds could all just be because it's an OME/Dakar setup, and I've heard they're pretty noisy, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
Literally happened to me. I had the crappy aluminum shims in the first go. I put the steel ones in and haven't had a problem since.
BillySpivitz likes this.

2006 Nissan Xterra:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Where do I get the steel ones from? My current ones are whatever NissTec gave me.

Also, what are the chances of NissTec replacing these Shims? The suspension was installed maybe 6 months ago. They shouldn't be cracked and falling apart. They should replace them with steel ones that won't fall apart.

Last edited by Maverick; 03-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMaverick View Post
Where do I get the steel ones from. . .?
Most pinion angle shims on the market are made from cast aluminum or zinc alloy - with varying degrees of quality.

Nisstec typically supplies zinc alloy shims with their kits, and sells them separately for $44/pair + shipping (SKU N-RS).

However, Nisstec also sells steel shims for $49/pair + shipping (SKU N3DS):

Steel Axle Degree Shims - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

You can get 3 degree billet aluminum shims from PRGProducts. Billet aluminum shims are less prone to cracking than shims made from cast aluminum. PRG shims are also a bit shorter than the shims supplied by Nisstec and conform better to the arch of the spring. I have been using them for several years with no issues. The price is $44/pair including shipping.

PRG Products

Another option is to try a local spring shop to see if they have steel shims the correct length, width and angle.
BCBrian likes this.

Last edited by Mr. Bills; 03-14-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
If NissTec won't replace them at cost or for free then I'll end up going with PRG (and possibly removing that NissTec sticker from my window).

I spent nearly $2500 on a suspension from them, they should fix this for free.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I think I saw somewhere that PRG has steel shims too, they just are not listed on his website. I could be completely wrong though.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:18 PM
2012 Avalanche White Xterra S

Hmm, I just bought a set (aluminum) from PRG and they say 4° FWIW.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxfunk View Post
Hmm, I just bought a set (aluminum) from PRG and they say 4° FWIW.
There's more than one angle of shim available.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran

If you break a new aluminum shim, you are likely over or under-torquing the ubolts or center pins. Water and salt drip into the holes in the spring perches, which over time (as little as 1 year in my case) creates holes in the shim itself and completely degrades it from there.

Ask Greg at PRG about steel 3° shims. I need to call him up too.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode