Proposed Suspension Lift - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator / (NEXTerra) Club Moderator
2006 Super Black ❌terra Off Road

Proposed Suspension Lift

Hey guys. I'm trying to put together a shopping list of items that I'll need to lift my truck a bit. I'm not going to be doing any serious offroading at this time, as this is my daily driver. However, I'd like to lift it enough to give it a more aggressive look and stance.

So, after reading through some of the posts here, and listening to several opinions, I've put together the following list. Please let me know your thoughts on the following items.

Xterra Front Lift Coils

Daystar 2" SL (Do I still need to install the spacers if I install the AC coils?)

Timbren Front and Rear Kits

Questions
Will the front and rear be balanced out with this combination of parts?
Will I be able to fit a 295/75R16 or 305/70R16 with this lift? (obviously on aftermarket rims) I'd go with BFG AT's.
Can I still use the stock Bilsteins that came on the truck, or will I need to change those out?

And, of course, I'm looking to get the Shrockworks front bumper and sliders at some point, as well. So, the truck will really look BA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
AJ

Send a message via AIM to AJ
With that combo your going to have 4.5 up front and only 1.5 rear. Your going to need the aal. Also youll need tc arms and you will still hit the coil bucket. Alot of people on here are running that setup.

aka terror x on vaxc.org
aka terror x on xterraownersclub.com

05 type S
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S w/OR Badges

you want the AC coils. you want the Daystar shackles.
You dont want to have the AC coils with the daystar spacers up front unless you want to get into serious complications later down the road.

My advice is buy both kits because Daystar doesnt sell shackles and spacers separately. just dont install the Daystar spacers. Get the Timbrens they work.

And no the 295/75 or 305/70 wont fit. And yes you will need to replace the rear shocks and you should also extend the brake lines

Call me Eddo

The First SuperCharged 2nd Gen >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Veteran

I don't know if you will get more confuse with contradictory answers, but if you're going only for the looks, you don't need to change your rear shocks. They will limit your down travel but you don't need more down travel if you won't wheel it. With the stock shock you don't need to extend your brake lines.

Yellow 06 OR MT
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

SO, I won't install the spacers up front. I'll install the AC coils, and Daystar Shackles. Will the truck be uneven - the front higher than the back - with this setup? And what tires could I throw underneath - just the 285/75R16's? And, if I do replace the rear shocks, what is the part # for longer Bilsteins?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S w/OR Badges

Dont know the Bilstein part number but tomorrow im getting ranchos i can give you that part number. The truck will be even with that set up, and yes 285/75 are the biggest tire you want to go with that setup.

Call me Eddo

The First SuperCharged 2nd Gen >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroad
I don't know if you will get more confuse with contradictory answers, but if you're going only for the looks, you don't need to change your rear shocks. They will limit your down travel but you don't need more down travel if you won't wheel it. With the stock shock you don't need to extend your brake lines.
With the aftermarket shocks, how much does the brake line need to be extended?

edit: NM, saw the brake lines on 4x4parts
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Bringing back an old post of mine because I'm hoping to start buying the parts for my lift.

Since Daystar doesn't sell their shackles separate from the spacers, should I go with the Calmini shackles? As much as I've heard all the stories about their customer service, I used to have a set of their shackles on my old '02. I've been comparing pictures, and the Daystar's seem beefier. I know they're also greasable.

What do you guys think - Daystar or Calmini? $300 or $60?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rastaman
People seem to be happy with the Daystar shackles and they are greasable. I'd get the Daystar kit and sell just the front spacer (here, XOC or ebay) and recover some money. I have the stock shackles and AAL and I like the firmer ride.

"Don't Panic"
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I think I hijacked the Daystar lift, so I'm going to post here in my original thread.

I'm going to get the AC 2" setup - coils and shackles. This question is for Dan G. Dan, this past weekened, I was with the Nexterra gang installing a 2" bodylift on one of the trucks. We all started talking about my truck and the lift I'm going to put in. One of the guys mentioned your name, and said that he had followed a story of yours on Xterrafirma (I believe) when you installed your AC coils. Did you have a problem with a rented coil compressor? Was it not strong enough to compress the AC coils? Will I really need to go to a shop to have them installed?

Not to copy you, Sexterra, but I'm hopefully going to end up with the setup you have:

Quote:
AC coils up front, AC shackles in the rear, and 285/75/16 BFG All terrains
And I might just consider that rear Shrock bumper without the tire carrier. We'll see.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode