Sleeping In The Back of The Xterra - PBR - Page 31 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 PM
2012 Lava Red Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by five9341 View Post
Several months ago I was searching here and other forums on ideas on how to go about this. What I built is in the video below. I'm late posting it here as we've already done a dozen or more trips since I completed the box.

Regardless, feel like I owe it those before me to share what I did in effort to help others. Thanks again to all those who shared their ideas here.

What it's got:
  • Level, 6'+ sleeping platform
  • 6 gallons of running water
  • Storage without losing the under floor "honey hole"
  • Maintains fully operational backseats
  • No squeaks or rattles... but it requires significant disassembly to come out

After a few months of use I'm already contemplating version 2.0... little things I'd tweak or change. But realistically I probably won't tackle that anytime soon and we've really enjoyed and used it a lot.

If you have any questions (or better yet, ideas for improvement) let me know.

http://five9341.com/2014/12/05/sleep...nd-gen-xterra/
Great post! That's fantastic.

What are you thinking of doing for 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

I went to the coast the other day. MY work day started at 3AM and I didn't make it to the coast until 1:40AM. I was too tired to deal with a tent. I fished for a bit though. I setup my self inflating sleep pad and a thin foam pad from a cot. Slept very well, dry and out of the sand. I just ended up sleeping back there for the next few days. No tent to deal with and clean up. I would stand on my hitch mounted luggage rack and dust the sand off before climbing in for bed.

For ventilation, I roll the back windows down and drape a towel over the open window with the door open. I close the door. The towels acts kinda like a filter to keep blowing sand and sea spray out.
kilted1 likes this.
post #303 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 PM
2012 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwise61 View Post
Great post! That's fantastic.

What are you thinking of doing for 2.0
I have a bunch of ideas and no concrete way to execute against them (yet!).
  • I want a larger water tank
  • I want the water tank and hose oriented to the tailgate instead behind the seats
  • Somehow, I want to integrate a Yeti cooler
  • I want a "door" on the seat side of the box so when the seats are down and I'm driving, things aren't "open" to move about
  • I'd better integrate the track system to allow for tie downs (they work now, but are kind of a PITA)
  • I'd change the the construction of the edges, the plywood has chipped in several spots
  • I'd leave a bigger gap between the top and tailgate... getting my arm in there to open the tailgate is tight
  • I'd integrate a battery, inverter and solar charging system rather than mess with a "real" dual battery setup
  • Still wish I had hot water sometimes
  • I used 1/2" in some areas, I'd do all 3/4" next time

post #304 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have a bunch of ideas and no concrete way to execute against them (yet!).
  • I want a larger water tank
  • I want the water tank and hose oriented to the tailgate instead behind the seats
  • Somehow, I want to integrate a Yeti cooler
  • I want a "door" on the seat side of the box so when the seats are down and I'm driving, things aren't "open" to move about
  • I'd better integrate the track system to allow for tie downs (they work now, but are kind of a PITA)
  • I'd change the the construction of the edges, the plywood has chipped in several spots
  • I'd leave a bigger gap between the top and tailgate... getting my arm in there to open the tailgate is tight
  • I'd integrate a battery, inverter and solar charging system rather than mess with a "real" dual battery setup
  • Still wish I had hot water sometimes
  • I used 1/2" in some areas, I'd do all 3/4" next time
Very cool project, thanks for posting the information and video link.

If I did something like this I would want to set it up so it didn't rely on the rear seat bottoms to prop the bed up with. I usually leave them out anyway since we don't have rear seat passengers, and they take up quite a bit of cargo space.
post #305 of 385 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 PM
2014 4Runner Trail

I used this thread to figure out my setup... Action Packers (which I could only find on Rubbermaid's website, no one local was carrying them anymore), home made screens with no see um netting and a magnet strip sewn in and a few magnets randomly placed to snug the sides up, and a 'full' size air mattress which - if you inflate it in the back of the truck - is a perfect fit and kind of "pops" into the voids and around the wheel wells.

My wife and I will be using this to camp in as we work our way across the US in September.

"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT​

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Navy; 02-26-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Edited Post
post #306 of 385 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra S⊙

Inspiration;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-20160327_080208_zpslevsrxdu.jpg (51.9 KB, 6 views)

Whatever you are, be a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Navy; 02-26-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Converted Photophucket Link
post #307 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:33 PM
2012 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Several months ago I was searching here and other forums on ideas on how to go about this. What I built is in the video below. I'm late posting it here as we've already done a dozen or more trips since I completed the box.

Regardless, feel like I owe it those before me to share what I did in effort to help others. Thanks again to all those who shared their ideas here.

What it's got:
  • Level, 6'+ sleeping platform
  • 6 gallons of running water
  • Storage without losing the under floor "honey hole"
  • Maintains fully operational backseats
  • No squeaks or rattles... but it requires significant disassembly to come out

After a few months of use I'm already contemplating version 2.0... little things I'd tweak or change. But realistically I probably won't tackle that anytime soon and we've really enjoyed and used it a lot.

If you have any questions (or better yet, ideas for improvement) let me know.

http://five9341.com/2014/12/05/sleep...nd-gen-xterra/
I've built (my now third iteration) of a sleeping/storage system. Details on the "expo box" build here... hope it helps someone in the future when they're looking for ideas. This one has...
  • Integrated cooler
  • Drawer with integrated prep surface
  • Platform "wings" with easy access tie-downs
  • Mounts utilizing channel system... six nuts and it comes out.
  • And more

Last edited by five9341; 04-01-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added quote and list
post #308 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran

This thread definitely influenced my decision to get an Xterra, I love that I can set up a Flat Sleeping area long enough for me to be comfortable. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

Someone else may have thought of this before, but to make it easier to pull the Rear Hatch shut when sitting inside, I took a 6' long Cam Buckle Strap and looped it around the Hatch Handle. The other end went around a Bungee Cord that runs around the Cargo Hooks. This worked great, and stayed out of the way with the Hatch closed since there's tension on it from the Bungee.

Last edited by Old Navy; 02-26-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Converted Photophucket Links
post #309 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
This thread definitely influenced my decision to get an Xterra, I love that I can set up a Flat Sleeping area long enough for me to be comfortable. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

Someone else may have thought of this before, but to make it easier to pull the Rear Hatch shut when sitting inside, I took a 6' long Cam Buckle Strap and looped it around the Hatch Handle. The other end went around a Bungee Cord that runs around the Cargo Hooks. This worked great, and stayed out of the way with the Hatch closed since there's tension on it from the Bungee.

Now that's Clever!

>
&

>

>
|

Last edited by Old Navy; 02-26-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Converted Photophucket Links
post #310 of 385 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

My air mattress just fits with the passenger seat tilted forward. I'll pull the first aid kit out next road trip for an extra couple inches for the toes.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode