Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Sleeping In The Back of The Xterra - PBR

383K views 389 replies 182 participants last post by  SmellyRandy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I used to have a Pathfinder, and I found a way to sleep in the back of it, making use of only 'the parts that came with the truck', and I can do the same thing with the X, as outlined below:

0)
With the passenger side rear seat folded down:

there isn't enough length for me to sleep in the back. I use a Therm-a-Rest camping mattress that is 20.5 inches wide and 73 inches long:

More room can be created by removing the passenger side rear seat cushion, however that creates an empty area between the cargo area floor and the passenger front seat.

1)
Flip the passenger side rear seat cushion up, lift up on the plastic latch handles (e.g. upper handle in this photo), and remove the seat cushion

2)
Raise the passenger side rear headrest to it's upper position, press in on the release button, and remove the headrest

3)
Either tilt the passenger side front seatback forward, or if possible fold it flat, and slide the passenger side front seat forward

4)
Place the headrest on the floor on the passenger side rear. The side of the headrest that goes against the person's head goes against the floor, so either make sure the floor is clean, or protect the headrest

5)
Place the passenger side rear seatcushion with its rear edge against the rear edge of the passenger side front seat

6)
Push the passenger side rear seatcushion's front edge down so that it rests on the headrest. This leaves the seatcushion level with the cargo area

7)
There is now a fully supported area that is actually a bit longer than my 73 inch mattress

See less See more
#333 ·
I'm planning to camp out of my X for the first time next weekend. I had a full size dodge with shell that I would throw a mattress in back and camp out of, so I know I needed to be able crack a window. There were products out there that you could buy that were basically magnetic screens, but it seemed like everywhere I looked they were out of stock. Some people made their own, so I decided to do the same. I had some spare screen, an old pair of torn khakis, and bought some magnets. The magnets were the only thing I needed to buy and cost me about $13.

First I eyeballed the perimeter of the window on some cardboard to get a screen cutout.
Here is a pic of the cardboard, scraps of screen, and the pants I used.

Khaki Beige Shorts Textile Paper

I cut strips of the pants that were roughly 3" wide. Then i folded them over, sandwiching the screen between them so then its about 1.5" of khaki trim. Then I sewed the trim/screen/trim with a sewing machine and went all the way around. Then I fed the magnets in through the open ends and sewed a pocket around them to keep them in place. No gluing. Here is a pic of the magnet placements (red circles).

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

And finished product.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Time will tell if it holds up well to being used, but I think it will. I can comment on its first use after next weekend.

#335 ·
I've done this two ways:

1. 6" closed-cell foam with wheel well reliefs cut out and watertanks / coolers behind the front seats, then a 2" queen sized memory foam topper. PROS: end up with lots of headroom since you've only got 8" of total 'lift', and I found it more comfortable than my bed at home (so did the GF, who has an extremely bad back) CONS: No storage underneath except the watertank and cooler, the latter of which is hard to access given you need to fold the foam back to get at it.

2. A 10" hinged wooden platform with a 4" queen sized closed-cell foam and a 2" queen sized memory foam on top. PROS: Hinged on DS and PS, as well as at the back end means lots of secure (locked) storage for: firearms, watertanks, camping gear, camera gear, coolers, clothing bins, camp stoves, etc. CONS: 8" less headroom is more than it sounds...had a definite coffin feel to it. Also the storage I arranged was hinged rather than drawers, which was still awkward to access.

Next 5000mi+ trip I do will be with a Tepui roof tent, leaving the back for storage only! Still need to figure out how the dog is going to make it up the roof ladder though....long ramp?

#340 ·
Forgive me as I'm sure this has been asked (can't find it), but what are you guys doing for heat when it's cold? I have a Mr Buddy that I've used in my pop up and in tents, but I think it would be overwhelming in the Xterra, not to mention bulky.

I'm going hunting over the next couple of weekends and would like to sleep at my hunting spots, but it's going to be in the teens overnight with a few inches of snow. I have a nice 0 degree bag and plenty of cold weather hunting clothes, but I'm getting old and hate sleeping when it's cold (under 30 degrees). I like my warmth! Not looking for it to be 70 degrees inside, but 60's would be nice.

#341 ·
One thing I'd suggest (and I learned this with my RTT, not the back) is that what's between you and the floor of the X is critical. Think thick blankets and/or something inflatable*. I've had that go wrong and it makes for an uncomfortable night.

*a mattress, not a special friend

#343 ·
I have run my Buddy Heater in my X sitting on the front seat folded flat. If you run it very long it gets quite warm in there. My method is just to warm it up when I go to bed and then again when I wake up and live with the cold night. The regular buddy puts out at least 4000 btu, I also have the little buddy that puts out a little less maxing at 3700. It is also smaller to pack. I wish they made a smaller less powerful one for smaller places so you don't cook yourself and fuel would last longer.

#346 ·
IMO I would not use a heater inside the Xterra, regardless of oxygen depletion shutoffs or CO monitors. I'd worry about catching something on fire inside there, plus you are going to be putting a fair amount of moisture into the cabin if you run a propane heater. I'm sure many have done it successfully, just not something I'd feel safe doing.

I slept pretty comfortably down to single digits with this setup:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/3522082-post324.html

#351 ·
I use a Teton camp pad (foam) and their Celsius sleeping bag, along with a $10 wool blanket from Harbor Freight (only when its really cold). Works great! I'm a bit short, at 5' 10", so I don't mind sleeping in the X at all. I don't bother with heaters, but I guess you could always try putting something like HotHands in your sleeping bag. As for pillows, the compressible Therma-Rest is really nice. Its packed with chunks of foam, easy to compress down to about a 1/4 of full size. Just give it a good shake and fluff about 30 minutes before its time to call it a night, and it'll do well.

#354 ·
... I don't bother with heaters, but I guess you could always try putting something like HotHands in your sleeping bag.

As for pillows, the compressible Therma-Rest is really nice. ...
Never tried the hand warmers, but boiling a liter of water and putting it into a nalgene bottle in the bottom of your bag works great.

Agreed on the pillow, those are nice!

Good to hear that not using a heater in single degree temps is no big deal. I'm used to tents and a large canvas pop up camper, where heat loss is fairly significant. With how insulated the Xterra is, I can see how it's different.
It's not big deal IF you have a proper bag and pad under you... I wouldn't count on much insulation from the vehicle itself. It makes a great windbreak though, so it's less drafty than a tent IME.

People go winter camping in bivys or tents. You'll be fine if you are in a bag warm enough.
+1

Note: "if you are in a bag warm enough".

#352 ·
Good to hear that not using a heater in single degree temps is no big deal. I'm used to tents and a large canvas pop up camper, where heat loss is fairly significant. With how insulated the Xterra is, I can see how it's different.

I'm not worried about the fumes from the heater in the Xterra as I'd have at least one window cracked for ventilation. But I here the concerns...much more concerned about fire danger.

#357 ·
Sleeping Platform

Since we sold our Adventure Trailer (no where to store it anymore) we have been sleeping in the back of the Xterra when camping. The Action Packer trick works well, but...

We have been trying to refine the storage situation and have moved away from action packers. So I built this sleeping platform last weekend to fill the gap between the front seats and the folded rear seats.

There are 4 legs supporting the head end of the board. They are removable so the board can be stored easily. There is a cutout around the center console that folds down on a piano hinge and rests on the floor to provide additional support in the middle.

When we are driving, the whole thing slides back to fill the smaller gap behind the front seats so the dog can ride there without falling into the footwell. The center console flap folds up and locks in place with some slide locks on both sides. Plenty strong enough to hold the dog if she puts all her weight on it.

Here is the sleeping position from the back.

Here is the driving position from the back.

We had an unusually warm weekend so we headed up to RMNP to give it a go.

Id say I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted the transition from the board to the floor of the Xterra to be as minimal as possible so I didn't feel it when laying on it. So I used 1/4 baltic birch marine plywood. Definitely not noticeable under the Exped Synmat Duo (SynMat Duo M | Exped USA) we use. I haven't put a finish on the plywood yet because I thought I might end up going to 1/2" ply. I think we will stick with this until we break it :wink:

So hope this gives others some ideas.

#361 ·
Since we sold our Adventure Trailer (no where to store it anymore) we have been sleeping in the back of the Xterra when camping. The Action Packer trick works well, but...

We have been trying to refine the storage situation and have moved away from action packers. So I built this sleeping platform last weekend to fill the gap between the front seats and the folded rear seats.

There are 4 legs supporting the head end of the board. They are removable so the board can be stored easily. There is a cutout around the center console that folds down on a piano hinge and rests on the floor to provide additional support in the middle.

When we are driving, the whole thing slides back to fill the smaller gap behind the front seats so the dog can ride there without falling into the footwell. The center console flap folds up and locks in place with some slide locks on both sides. Plenty strong enough to hold the dog if she puts all her weight on it.

Here is the sleeping position from the back.

Here is the driving position from the back.

We had an unusually warm weekend so we headed up to RMNP to give it a go.

Id say I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted the transition from the board to the floor of the Xterra to be as minimal as possible so I didn't feel it when laying on it. So I used 1/4 baltic birch marine plywood. Definitely not noticeable under the Exped Synmat Duo (SynMat Duo M | Exped USA) we use. I haven't put a finish on the plywood yet because I thought I might end up going to 1/2" ply. I think we will stick with this until we break it :wink:

So hope this gives others some ideas.

I love this ! I think I will copy it if you dont mind, the flap for the center console is genious!

Also, I have an avalanche White with Falken at3w's too. what size are yours?hey look bigger than mine which are 265/75/16.

Oh im also in Colorado not too far from RMNP

#359 ·
^^^ I like that set up.. Wonder if Splitting it up the middle Towards The front. would be easier to Remove for using back seats/storage.. etc. But still ease in installing and creating a structural Sound sleep platform?..

When I be in the middle of the Desert & them lighting bolts are hitting.. it's Nice to escape into the X with cooler full of beer and Sleeping bag on other side.. Life is good Till yea have to pee!.. safer in a Faraday cage Vs sleeping in the dirt with the rattle snakes.. ( hate them things)

#363 ·
Glad to hear it, I also love to at3w's. great all around tires.

It looks like you used 1/4 plywood, do you find that sufficient? Im inclined to use 1/2 but if 1/4 is enough id use that for the weight savings.

as a side note maybe we can chat about some places to camp in CO near Denver or the front range?

#364 ·
So far the coldest weather I've been (have only had truck since Oct) was a 19F night w/ screaming winds in SW Kansas. All I had was a 10F sleeping bag and no insulation on windows, etc. I used the bag as a blanket, otherwise it would have been too hot. I had a window cracked for ventilation.

Take this into consideration: I grew up sleeping under the stars in the southern Rockies during late fall/ early winter. And for 6 years I slept in the back of an old pickup in 0F nights. I may not be the best barometer....

Others have talked about a heater such as the little buddy. I used it fine in the back of the pickup BUT you do have to consider O2 depletion in a space sealed as tightly as an SUV. If you crack the windows slightly to create a cross ventilation (or if you have a small battery operated fan to mix air coming from only 1 open window) you should* be fine. Water content is a concern for me (absolutely cannot sleep in humid air). The best strategy I have had was to turn it on for a few minutes before sleep, and a few minutes after waking up to take the chill out.

*Do not take this as medical advice. Also, when you are sleeping with a dog, and significant other be advised that O2 consumption will significantly increase. Plan accordingly.

#367 ·
@outback97 - I travel with rear seats down often, and I use bungees extensively. Otherwise, i also have velcro on the floor that attaches to several accessories that have the other side of the velcro strips that help it from moving around. VERY useful

Reactions: outback97
#368 ·
Thanks FishingX. I use bungee cords in the back as well, but it's more to keep things behind the rear seats from sliding side to side. I'm thinking more of heavy items (cooler, water jug, stove, etc) that I don't want to have to worry about flying forward in a panic stop scenario. Bulky lightweight items like sleeping bags and pads, clothes, etc. I don't worry about so much.

I have an outdoor rug cut to fit in the cargo area and the velcro is a good idea for small items.

#375 ·
Photos with these logos, are lost forever and can not be resurrected;

But if they have this logo, there's a 98% chance that they can be brought back;

So we'll check into these...

Reactions: Longboardr
#376 ·
Done - All (48) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.