Overheating X - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Super Black ❌terra SV

Garage
Overheating X

Hi all,

Before i start, i did read other topics about this same issue but some people didn't have the same symptoms.

I'll break it down real quickly to avoid typing a long bible.

X is overheading both city and Hwy but on the hwy when i leave the gas pedal the temp go's down.

When X is shutdown, coolant container is a little bit more than Full BUT when i start is half way below Full line o.0???

I do hear some ticking when i start it but after sometime that noise disapear.

I'll try to upload a video maybe if we can hear it well.

I got a bad feeling about my X 😂🤦*♂️

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Born in Ukraine-SSR(89'), Canada (98')

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:12 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Any recent work done? Is the springed cap on your coolant reservoir or on the radiator? Has the t-stat ever been changed?

I don't like the sound of that tapping... I'm assuming no codes, smoke or obvious other signs besides the tapping and OHing.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
Any recent work done? Is the springed cap on your coolant reservoir or on the radiator? Has the t-stat ever been changed?

I don't like the sound of that tapping... I'm assuming no codes, smoke or obvious other signs besides the tapping and OHing.

The springed cap is on the coolant reservoir, is that alright? 🤔🤔

I never changed my Thermostat, i did flushed all my fluids last year.

No smoke, no check engine, no sign beside tapping. The funniest part is, today let a garage change my engine oil aand when i drove from my gf work back home i notice its been overheating but at the same time there's a heal wave here in Montreal, maybe it has something to do as well :/

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:46 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Could be a few things. T-stat, rad, water pump... So some quick tests. Does your fan clutch kick in? Its always turning some, but when the X reaches a certain temp, you will hear it kick in. Start it cold and let it idle in park with the hood open. look and listen for the fan clutch to engage when it warms up. If this doesnt happen then you'll know. touch the upper and lower rad hoses. Are they the same temp? can you feel the coolant passing? How do the fins in your rad look?
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:47 PM

Make sure it has oil... 🙂
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
Could be a few things. T-stat, rad, water pump... So some quick tests. Does your fan clutch kick in? Its always turning some, but when the X reaches a certain temp, you will hear it kick in. Start it cold and let it idle in park with the hood open. look and listen for the fan clutch to engage when it warms up. If this doesnt happen then you'll know. touch the upper and lower rad hoses. Are they the same temp? can you feel the coolant passing? How do the fins in your rad look?
My engine Clutch fan is always turning my fan and its always louuuuud. Many people been asking me if its normal and even the mechanic who worked on my car said its normal. 🤔

I'll test the upper and lower rad hoses tomorrow morning, now its too late for any test since my X is loud AF, especially the Fan makes it loud.

I remember my old civic fan didnt make so much noise and daily basis. It never stops unless i turn engine off.

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 AM

Stuck closed t-stat is the most likely suspect.. cheap part, just a pain to replace on the x. You can test a t-stat by pinching a thread with the spring on the tstat and lowering it into a mug of hot water same temp as its rated for, seeing if the spring opens and iy drops to the bottom of the mug. but id just replace it anyway. yesting just lets you know if yuo found the issue
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
Stuck closed t-stat is the most likely suspect.. cheap part, just a pain to replace on the x. You can test a t-stat by pinching a thread with the spring on the tstat and lowering it into a mug of hot water same temp as its rated for, seeing if the spring opens and iy drops to the bottom of the mug. but id just replace it anyway. yesting just lets you know if yuo found the issue
I'll give it a try to change it since it was never done since i'm the 2nd owner. And after changing it, i'll test the t-state at the same time just for myself.

Thanks everyone.
Have a great day/night depend on your timezones.

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Make sure there isn't an air pocket in the rad. You have to park on a steep incline with the front elevated to "burp" the air out of the system. Take the res. cap off when you do this, and hold 2500-3000 rpm for a few sec, repeat. Sometimes this isn't enough and you have to use a vacuum to get the air pocket out.

That engine is ticking loudly. I hope it isn't the lifters or something related. What oil did you put in it? The VQ engine is more prone to oil shearing from what I've gathered and you shouldn't run anything thinner than 5w30 (ie 5w20 or 0w20 etc). I'd highly suggest running Total Synthetic Quartz (first choice) or Kendall Synthetic to see if it quiets down. Mine was a bit loud with whatever the dealer had in it until I switched (although not this loud).
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode