Overheating X - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Super Black ❌terra SV

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Make sure there isn't an air pocket in the rad. You have to park on a steep incline with the front elevated to "burp" the air out of the system. Take the res. cap off when you do this, and hold 2500-3000 rpm for a few sec, repeat. Sometimes this isn't enough and you have to use a vacuum to get the air pocket out.

That engine is ticking loudly. I hope it isn't the lifters or something related. What oil did you put in it? The VQ engine is more prone to oil shearing from what I've gathered and you shouldn't run anything thinner than 5w30 (ie 5w20 or 0w20 etc). I'd highly suggest running Total Synthetic Quartz (first choice) or Kendall Synthetic to see if it quiets down. Mine was a bit loud with whatever the dealer had in it until I switched (although not this loud).
Whats a res cap?🤔 i believe you mean rad so im going to try now

I always put 5w30 full synthetic.

I hope this engine will last until i swap titan in.

Born in Ukraine-SSR(89'), Canada (98')

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_Xterra108 View Post
Whats a res cap?🤔 i believe you mean rad so im going to try now

I always put 5w30 full synthetic.

I hope this engine will last until i swap titan in.
res cap = reservoir cap
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHere! View Post
res cap = reservoir cap
I deserve a big facepalm 😂😂, i'll try that in a week when i'll be back from trucking trip to Californiaa

No Road? .. No Problem!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
2005 Xterra S

The ticking sound is a bit loud. Mine sounds like that too but not as loud. I believe brand of oil will make a difference as well. I used to use Mobil One Synthetic 5w30. Didn't have a problem with it. But some people online were complaining about the noise in the winter time with Mobil One. I then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It's better for sure.

As for the overheating goes. Probably the t-stat like others have said. I recently had that problem, kinda. My temps usually will read mid 190F in the winter, low 200F in summer. It was the winter time, upper 30s and low 40s. My coolant temp was at mid 200 to 210. Which was weird... That's actually worse than the summer temp? I had a new t-stat installed about 3 years ago. Didn't think it would be the t-stat. I did notice that the upper rad hose is boiling hot but the lower hose is barely warm. Online people say it's normal because hot coolant travels down and rad cools it, so lower rad hose should be warm. Thought maybe it's the fan clutch. Replaced it. No luck. Finally, I decided to go ahead and change out the t-stat (this time with 170 degree one 21200-4W01B) Problem solved! Now the upper rad hose is hot, lower hose is warm to hot.

If you end up changing out your t-stat. Learn from my mistake. Do not use cheap gasket! I used a cheap one and a few months later, it started to leak coolant. And I wouldn't have notice it if I didn't remove the intake to look for a washer that I had dropped. I purchased a better quality gasket (rubber coated) and thought it's a done deal. Well, the old gasket did not come off in one piece... it ripped into many many many small pieces... Some got stuck on the t-stat that would not come off. I even used Citrol 266, the strongest chemical I have to remove ****, couldn't get 100% of **** off the t-stat. I gave in and bought ANOTHER new t-stat. So far everything is good. Hopefully it stays that way.

Make sure you test the t-stat before you install it. Even if it's OEM (and I do recommend buying OEM parts), it can still be defective.
Adam12SD and UA_Xterra108 like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
After purchasing my Xterra, I replaced it's oil with 5w-30 Royal Purple.
This oil was on sale and priced reasonably.
I thought my X ran a bit smoother and even seemed quieter.

However, when it came time for the 2nd oil change the RP was not on sale.
For this reason I purchased Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic which was $23 at Walmart and used a $10.00 rebate for a total cost of $13 for 5 quarts.

To be honest, my X seems to run even better with the Pennzoil
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Ya, the VQ is picky with the oil. Mobile 1 Synthetic didn't get rid of the ticking in mine and I could really feel the X get a bit sluggish after a couple thousand km's. My switch was to Kendall Gt 1 synthetic. I've recently tried Total Quartz in my X-trail and it was even better than the Kendall so next change I'm going with Total Quartz in the Xterra as well.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Thanks all for your opinion, much appriciate!

Have great days Boys and Girls(if any in here).

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Update: my Thermostat was the problem but at the same time my fan kept working like all the time my X was on, so had to change my Fan clutch to fix this noisy fan!

Plus temperature gauge was rusty and changed this as well. Now feels like the X is flying a cloud 😂🤦*♂️. Sooo quiet ❤❤❤.

Next thing to work on is the thicking noise, i'll change the Oil brand name next time. ✌

Have great day everybody!
PhullD likes this.

No Road? .. No Problem!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode