Storage Struggle and Poor Lighting - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
2013 Avalanche White Xterra S 5AT

Garage
Storage Struggle and Poor Lighting

I'm starting to work on customizing certain interior items and i'm confused a bit.

First off i have no overhead dome light in the driver section. my dome lights are overhead of the rear passenger seating and hatch.
-my plan for this is to pull one from a yard and install it in my headliner....i just thought it was weird.

Second, I've been lurking on the raingler (spelling?) roof storage setups and they all use bolts threaded in the headliner fasterners. I dont have any of the attachment spots expect for two push in headliner anchors. anyone else dealing with the storage struggle?

pic for sympathy lol

This is my Signature
This is my Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Take a look at my build. I have the Raingler Ceiling net installed. What they show on their website isn't exactly how it is installed in the later years. They use the existing cargo hooks and the grab handles over the back doors. If you are going to get a ceiling net, I suggest that you get the mesh option. It keeps stuff from sneaking out between the straps.

As for lighting, you should have a light in the rear cargo area, one over the rear seat area, and a dual map light in the front seat area. Again, my latest mod was to the map lights, and it was the addition of LEDs.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Simple LED's from Amazon make a WORLD of difference in the cabin

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Red Brawn Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHere! View Post
Simple LED's from Amazon make a WORLD of difference in the cabin
I have picked up a set of the LEDs for the interior and they are on the list of things that I need to do on mine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:52 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Xterraista S 4x4

Garage
I'm fixing to get the Raingler ceiling net too. This is the third time I've heard to go with the mesh option..

Are the LED interior lights plug n play?

'07 Xterrorista S
'13 Sorento EX
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpalindrone View Post
I'm fixing to get the Raingler ceiling net too. This is the third time I've heard to go with the mesh option..

Are the LED interior lights plug n play?
The ones I've seen are. My mod wasn't though.

Click Here for >
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
You can upgrade the factory cargo light and it definitely helps a lot but the best thing to do really is add some more lights that are spread out around the cargo area. That way instead of one extremely bright light you have a more even illumination of everything. One thing that's nice about the X is there's plenty of space behind the interior plastics to install a small led and run some wiring.

Nissan really stopped putting in dome lights in the later year lower models? That's nuts they got that cheap.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:02 PM
2010 Xterra X 4x4 6MT

I'm going to ask, are you sure you have an "S" model? Your wheels and other things look like you have an "X" model. If so then yes, you don't have the rear ceiling cargo hooks or front map light (or at least that was the case with my 2010 X).

For the ceiling hooks, you can buy them from the dealer or junkyard, or even better from someone like @Ramness who sources from junkyards all the time and puts them up for sale here. I have the X model, and this is what I did. The threaded holes are there in the ceiling, you'll just need to cut holes in the headliner. This is the trickiest part - take your time, measure twice, and then measure again. There are a few threads on here from people with tips/tricks on transferring the location of the mounting holes to the headliner. I rushed a bit and one of my holes is not exactly aligned, but you don't see it unless you are looking for it. Here's a post from my build thread: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/3668442-post23.html (Not really a how-to though).

As for the front map light - I also researched getting one from a junkyard, but all the research pointed to this being problematic in terms of the electrical. I can't remember the exact issues, but again there are a few threads with the details. I am currently still looking at options - varying from wiring a front light in parallel to the center light, to battery LED's up front, as others have suggested.
13ADVX likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Having installed a LOBO shelf, lighting in the cargo area is just about non-existant now. Need to come up with some ideas to illuminate the cargo area...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog98x View Post
Having installed a LOBO shelf, lighting in the cargo area is just about non-existant now. Need to come up with some ideas to illuminate the cargo area...
Look at my Build thread, Post number 18. That will give you the lights, then it is up to you to figure out what to do with them.
tnelson likes this.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode