My Rear Cargo Drawer Build - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 16Likes
  • 11 Post By LVX
  • 1 Post By TurboChris
  • 3 Post By LVX
  • 1 Post By GPD605X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
LVX
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

My Rear Cargo Drawer Build

I just finished up a rear cargo drawer system for my Xterra. Lots of great inspiration from so many awesome builds on this site and Expedition Portal. But, the main area I drew inspiration was from: https://theadventureindex.com/shop/

Here's the basics on my setup:
-- 1/2" birch
-- Cut the bottom of each drawer so I could still access the underneath rear cargo tray by folding the back seats forward
-- 400 lb full extension drawer slides
-- 333 lb D-rings bolted with 5/16" pronged tee-nuts and bolts on the top (so I can still strap things down, when needed)
-- Side "wings" are removable, so I can use the space under them, too
-- 12" interior hieght
-- Driver-side drawer is 2-feet deep
-- Passenger-side drawer has a "drawer within a drawer" and a spring loaded prep table. There's room under the prep table to store silverware, spices, spatula, tongs, etc. (or anything else that's no taller than 4")

Pictures...

pso, GPD605X, hyperx2002 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by LVX; 06-30-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:26 PM
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Jeezz louise son, you got skills! You could probably make a few bucks selling those if you had the desire too.....NICE job!
LVX likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
LVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChris View Post
Jeezz louise son, you got skills! You could probably make a few bucks selling those if you had the desire too.....NICE job!
Thanks for the nice words...appreciated! I'm pleased with how it turned out, I was a little concerned with being able to get the templates just right for the "side wings." But, I first measured and drew it out on cardboard, then made the adjustments needed and used the cardboard template for the plywood.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

How much does that puppy weigh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran
2010 X

What a great setup. How much does something like this weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
LVX

For those asking about weight...

I didn't weight it and with my OME AAL and upgraded suspension I didn't really care too much. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere in the 40 - 50 lbs range. The 1/2" birch is a very lightweight wood and cutting the holes out of the bottom eliminated some weight, too (while still maintaining the structural integrity). If someone wanted to make it even lighter, they could cut some wood away from the side panels, too. The carpet and D-rings are essentially nothing. The heaviest items in the entire construction are the drawer slides...they seemed to weigh as much as the outer shell.
eighty, brokefoot and TurboChris like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:30 PM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra Off Road

Garage
How much does the passenger drawer sag without any weight in it? It may just be the angle of the pictures but the drawer seems to sag a little bit?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 AM
Supporting Member
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Well done!
Interestingly, I finished my cargo drawer this weekend, sort of! Still some details left like the lift-up prep table and organizer dividers. Here is the link to the thread onboard-water-tank

I left the sides open from both front and rear, because loaded up for the camping, there is always something on the top panels. So, it will be hard to access them. In addition, this way I can push long items like camping chairs and roof top tent annex in there. Top panels are hinged to the drawer and can be opened up if nothing sits on them. To prevent rattling noise, they are secured by the thumb-screw to the L-brackets holding them.
I made the drawer section a single piece, one big top and bottom plate, and one middle wall.

How do you secure the whole drawer system? I used L-shape custom made brackets to mount it to the T-rails in the cargo floor.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Nice! Following

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

>

>
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra S Titan Swapped!

Garage
Downloaded all the plans. I don't think I want mine that deep but solid plans and idea!
VMBiohazard likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode