UPDATED - iPad Mounted using RAM Tough Wedge (Pics) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
LVX
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

UPDATED - iPad Mounted using RAM Tough Wedge (Pics)

UPDATE 5/26 - I had a chance to do some pretty decent off-roading with this setup and there was very little-to-no bouncing, so I'm very happy with it!

ORIGINAL POST - I've been using Gaia GPS for years as my main GPS. I've been wanting to mount my old iPad 2, but didn't want anything permanent, so I decided to try the RAM Mount Tough Wedge system. Bottom-line: I love it! I've just tested it with some light-to-semi-rough offroading and it's rock solid. You can really pump up the Tough Wedge to be really tight between the center console and the passenger seat. I went with the 6" extension, so it doesn't interfere with the shifter or drinks in the cup holder. What I really like about this system is how easy it is and that it's non-permanent...just depress the button to release the air and take it out. Too easy. If you're interested, here's the setup I'm using in my Xterra:
-- iPad 2 (have to have cellular in order to use GPS)
-- Beetle Defense iPad 2 case
-- RAM Tough Wedge with 1" ball
-- RAM Tough Wedge Expansion Pouch
-- RAM long length double socket arm for 1" ball
-- RAM Tab-Tite universal spring loaded cradle for 10" tablets with heavy duty cases

And, here are some pictures, so you can see how it comes together...

tcbrad98, eighty and go4WD like this.

Last edited by LVX; 05-26-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran

That looks pretty sweet! Can the arm extend more over to the driver's side? Asking because I have a passenger when I'm out.. does it interfere with a passenger?

Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Looks like someone finally found a use for all those cheap blood pressure cuffs lol.

So does it shake a lot offroading?

Last edited by IssacHunter; 05-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran
2010 X

That's a nice setup. Do you figure once every app is carplay enabled there will be no need for an iPad?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssacHunter View Post
Looks like someone finally found a use for all those cheap blood pressure cuffs lol.

So does it shake a lot offroading?
Oh didn't noticed it was an actual pump. Thought it was the main mount.
OP - what does that pump thingamajig do? Pumps the tightness into the arm to hold the ipad?

Links to this mount?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Oh didn't noticed it was an actual pump. Thought it was the main mount.
OP - what does that pump thingamajig do? Pumps the tightness into the arm to hold the ipad?

Links to this mount?
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-407BU

It's basically a blood pressure cuff bladder. Looking at the video for it this seems to be like a laptop soft zippered pouch where the bladder goes in and it has a ram attachment on a corner. You pump up the bladder inside the pouch and it applies lateral pressure to the center trim and seat to hold it tight. It's a pretty simple design I would have to say though not sure what prolonged use would do to your plastics.

If I had this though I think I would add a strip of velcro to the side of the bag and a strip of it to my center trim to hold it even better.
LVX likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
LVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
That looks pretty sweet! Can the arm extend more over to the driver's side? Asking because I have a passenger when I'm out.. does it interfere with a passenger?

Thanks for sharing!
There are different sized arms you can get from RAM...the one I have is the 6" arm, so it has some ability to extend more to the driver's side. If you get a longer arm, you'll probably experience more bouncing during off-roading, if that matters to you. Otherwise, you could purchase different length arms from RAM and keep a couple on-hand for different types of driving (that's what I did...I purchased a shorter one for extreme off-roading, to help limit any bounciness).

I sat in the passenger seat and it didn't interfere with me at all, which was part of what I was looking for.

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssacHunter View Post
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-407BU

It's basically a blood pressure cuff bladder. Looking at the video for it this seems to be like a laptop soft zippered pouch where the bladder goes in and it has a ram attachment on a corner. You pump up the bladder inside the pouch and it applies lateral pressure to the center trim and seat to hold it tight. It's a pretty simple design I would have to say though not sure what prolonged use would do to your plastics.

If I had this though I think I would add a strip of velcro to the side of the bag and a strip of it to my center trim to hold it even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVX View Post
There are different sized arms you can get from RAM...the one I have is the 6" arm, so it has some ability to extend more to the driver's side. If you get a longer arm, you'll probably experience more bouncing during off-roading, if that matters to you. Otherwise, you could purchase different length arms from RAM and keep a couple on-hand for different types of driving (that's what I did...I purchased a shorter one for extreme off-roading, to help limit any bounciness).

I sat in the passenger seat and it didn't interfere with me at all, which was part of what I was looking for.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
LVX

Hi all - thought I'd try and consolidate some of the Q&A here:

- The pump is the additional RAM Tough Wedge Accessory insert. It's basically an air bladder with a hand pump (someone mentioned like a blood pressure cuff, that's a perfect analogy). It allows you to pump up the air bladder to create a real tight fit. It slides into the Tough Wedge softshell sleeve (alongside the original Tough Wedge hard plastic insert).

- I've only had a chance to test this a couple of times, but so far it's worked great. On the road and smooth dirt roads there's been no shaking. When I tried it on semi-rough off-roading, it shook a little, but nothing that bothered me too much. You can buy different length arms, so the longer the arm, the more shaking you'll experience. I purchased the 6" arm and the 2" arm, figuring I'll switch to the shorter arm when the off-roading gets too rough and the longer arm shakes too much.

- The nice thing about this setup, at least to me, is the customization of it: different length arms, can be moved around (slide the Tough Wedge back & forth to your best fit), non-permanent, let's me use a bigger screen with a full-size iPad, etc.

- As you can see from the pics, I switched out the OEM Rockford Fosgate head unit with a Kenwood unit that has Apple Carplay. If Apple ever allows the non-Apple apps to play through Apple Carplay, then I'd probably no longer use this setup and just use Gaia through Apple Carplay. But, I'm not holding my breath for this, as Apple is pretty restrictive (e.g., Waze and Google Maps are not allowed, only Apple Maps, via Carplay). Maybe Android users will have better luck.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by LVX; 05-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 PM
2010 Xterra SE

Garage
On a slightly different subject...

When you have the iPad in the mount, it looks like it places the iPad well within the body of the X. How well does the GPS work there? Do it lock on to satellites without issue? I've never used GPS and am thinking of adding one, maybe an iPad, so your thoughts on how well it works. I would have guessed it had to be up near the window to work well?

Tom

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode