Properly Securing an AR15, (or other Carbine), Under the Back Seat... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Properly Securing an AR15, (or other Carbine), Under the Back Seat...

Soooo.... I had ordered a TuffLoc rifle/carbine lock for my AR15 to mount under the back seat so it is secure, yet accessible...
https://www.galls.com/tufloc-rifle-l...f-key-override
I canceled that order today, because after a significant amount of research on what that would entail (I'd pay $111.00 for the actual lock, then ALSO need to install an L bracket at the butt of my AR to ensure the TuffLoc would actually secure my AR....)

I deducted that two pieces of 1/4" thick steel and a good lock, properly applied, would serve the same purpose...

Soooo, without spending $111, and still having to install a piece of angles steel to snug it up to prevent it from just being slid out of the cuff, I found a very good way to properly secure an AR15 under the back seat, with two pieces of 1/4" steel and a good lock...

I made an "L" bracket of 1/4" steel (1" wide) six and 3/4" long, bent at a 90 degree angle at the 4" mark, so the long end is 4" and the short end is 2 3/4"... Made holes in it to mount the long end to the truck body with self-tapping screws. I made three holes for this and I used 3 self-tapping screws: #12 x 1 1/2 inch. This will ensure the base bracket is solidly mounted to the truck. I mounted this about 3" out from the seat release levers.

To ensure the mount will not mar my AR15, I triple coated the mount with 1 3/4" heat shrink .... the triple coating of the heat shrink ensures that the mount itself will not mar my AR.

The "L bracket will surely secure my AR within the trigger housing, however, there is always the possibility of somebody using a small punch or even a paper clip to release the lower bar of the trigger guard...

To prevent such an override, I made another "L" shaped piece of steel to act as a trigger guard shield to slide over the lock mount. This will ensure that the trigger guard cannot simply be bypassed with pressing the roll-pin or trigger guard release pin.

With this 1/4" thick steel shield in place, there is no way to override the locking mechanism and release the AR15. It covers the trigger housing, and angles down to the underside of the AR15, so nothing can get in there to depress the bottom section of the trigger guard pin.

This mount was designed and measured for a SBR or Pistol AR15 with a 7.5" barrel, however, it also works for a full-length AR15 (see photos), however, the caveat is, with a full-length AR15, the 17" toolbox on the right side of the passenger seat is not feasible. It just won't fit comfortably.

While a full length AR15 absolutely fits, the toolbox area normally available under the passenger side seat is shortened, and I could not fit it in there with the length of the barrel of a full-length AR15.

Bottom line: You can easily secure an AR15 under the back seat, however, if you ALSO have the 17" toolbox secured under there, you'll need to make sure your AR15 is short (7.5" or 10'5" Short-barreled Rifle or pistol with an approved Sig brace pistol stock (SB15 or other approved pistol brace).

Once you have that measured and mounted, you'll want to ensure the steel bracket won't mar your AR, so either wrap it with electrical tape or heat shrink 2 or three layers of heat shrink tubing on it (I used three layers of 1 3/4" heat shrink tubing...worked perfectly)

Then, cut a 2.5" x 2.5" piece of steel, bend it at the 2/5" mark to a 90 degree angle, and grind the area to conform to the trigger housing to size...(you want to ensure the metal fits nicely inside the contour of the trigger housing of the AR) and cut a 1" slot to allow for the mount piece to fit through (this part might take the most cut & measure trial).

After you bend that piece of steel (I used my vice and a hammer on the workbench for both pieces) and have the slot cut and felt (or whatever type of protective material) backing applied, put the AR down with the trigger guard over the upward facing mount bracket, and slide the trigger guard bracket over that, and affix the lock. I used a Master lock, but considered a "puck lock" (they cost about $20 on Amazon, and while more secure, they offer less wiggle room for the size of the bracket).

This works very well for ensuring your AR or other carbine is safe and secure under the seat, with fairly quick access at the same time.

I played with this for a few days to get just the right position and measurements. I'm installing the same exact mount bracket in my wife's Xterra (but this time, with zero "trial and error"). It works great!

Last edited by Robert Smith; 05-15-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

After carefully looking at the security impacts of using the TuffLoc rifle lock (requiring an additional steel "L bracket" ... supplied by the user) and considering the effectiveness of my AR15 lock system, comprised of two pieces of 1/4" steel and a good lock....I'm blown away at the $$$ somebody might spend to effectively and safely secure an AR15 in their vehicle!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Nice SBR.

For what it's worth, your locking system should work perfectly well.

However, I'm not one which supports the over securing of my firearms
(unless your state mandates the locking of a firearm during transport)
When a situation arises in which I need a firearm in hand, I don't wish locks that need to be disabled.
Stress can make an idiot out of all of us, and I don't need this when seconds count.
mtnbound and Robert Smith like this.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 05-14-2018 at 11:38 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra New Hotness (Pro 4X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter View Post
Nice SBR.
Looks to more a “pistol”, hence the brace.
Robert Smith likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Looks to more a “pistol”, hence the brace.
It is indeed a pistol with a Sig SB15 brace.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:03 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra OR 6MT

I like this idea. I might do something similar if I ever don't have two car seats to undo first.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Nice SBR.

For what it's worth, your locking system should work perfectly well.

However, I'm not one which supports the over securing of my firearms
(unless your state mandates the locking of a firearm during transport)
When a situation arises in which I need a firearm in hand, I don't wish locks that need to be disabled.
Stress can make an idiot out of all of us, and I don't need this when seconds count.
I agree, but there is little worse than having a firearm stolen, esp an AR.

In this scenario I would hope to have a sidearm in the cab near/ on me, easily accessible, that could be used to ward off any immediate threat until you have a chance to grab the AR.

I used to carry a relatively cheap .22lr rifle under the back seat, no lock, didn't care as much if it were stolen, however I decided to discontinued that.

i like this lock idea. it would be nice when out camping or trail riding to have a rifle but also have it secured/ locked.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

I went this route.
Most times I dont have back seats.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/13-int...e-storage.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
I used to carry a relatively cheap .22lr rifle under the back seat, no lock, didn't care as much if it were stolen, however I decided to discontinued that.
A .22lr in a rifle may not be my first choice, but a person would do well not to underestimate its effectiveness. A Ruger 10/22 and a 30 rd mag is more than enough to stop most anything on two feet except Bigfoot. ( .50bmg recommended )
mtnbound likes this.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
A .22lr in a rifle may not be my first choice, but a person would do well not to underestimate its effectiveness. A Ruger 10/22 and a 30 rd mag is more than enough to stop most anything on two feet except Bigfoot. ( .50bmg recommended )
10/22 it was!

I figured i spent too much time in the city to make it worthwhile. I'f i lived in a more rural area it'd still be there.

plus i always have my pistol on me in the truck for 2 legged threats.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode