Tablet Mount Options - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Tablet Mount Options

Did a search for "tablet mount" didn't see to many threads / options other than the $1million dollar ram mount, no thanks. We need a thread for this.... Thoughts on these 2? feel free to contribute if you have something!

I'm presently considering this "In cd" mount
https://www.amazon.com/APPS2Car-Univ...blet+Car+Mount

Or this "mounts to the passenger seat lower rail bolt" mount. I like this one better because it doesn't block any of my driving view, but also dislike it because i have to look so far away to look it it, but it does seem like it would be closer to reach, but is also not easily removed.

https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-.../dp/B00585CLSQ

Last edited by ZheKing; 06-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
In this application, I think you'll get what you pay for. I'd image the CD mount will block your vents and most of your radio controls. It'll also probably vibrate horribly. I'd imagine the second mount also vibrating a lot. There are also quite a few reviews saying that the arm snaps if you move it too much. A basic RAM holder for the Ipad is in the mid $20's and the swivel mounts are about $40-$60, depending on what you want. There are also docking options on RAMs website. I can attest to RAM mounts, they're worth the money. Spend more now, to save $$ in the future...
X-Vector likes this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SoCal Club Xterra -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
In this application, I think you'll get what you pay for. I'd image the CD mount will block your vents and most of your radio controls. It'll also probably vibrate horribly. I'd imagine the second mount also vibrating a lot. There are also quite a few reviews saying that the arm snaps if you move it too much. A basic RAM holder for the Ipad is in the mid $20's and the swivel mounts are about $40-$60, depending on what you want. There are also docking options on RAMs website. I can attest to RAM mounts, they're worth the money. Spend more now, to save $$ in the future...
The ram example i saw on here had it off hte top storage tray above the cd player? I like that even less, that's in the field of view even more. Where do you have yours? Example pics?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Garage
I have my ram mount for my GPS attached to my center console, a few inches below my emergency flasher button. It's a handheld GPS, so it doesn't take a lot of room. You could probably run a RAM mount in this same location, with it swiveled up and inwards toward the HVAC controls so you can see the tablet, or mount it in the same spot on the passenger side so it's not blocking the HVAC controls. I'll see if I can find a pic, I know I have one hiding somewhere.

Edit: pic added

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->

Last edited by RikRong; 06-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
I have my ram mount for my GPS attached to my center console, a few inches below my emergency flasher button. It's a handheld GPS, so it doesn't take a lot of room. You could probably run a RAM mount in this same location, with it swiveled up and inwards toward the HVAC controls so you can see the tablet, or mount it in the same spot on the passenger side so it's not blocking the HVAC controls. I'll see if I can find a pic, I know I have one hiding somewhere.

Edit: pic added
I was looking at the ram mounts, and it looks like you can't remove the cradle? The cradle screws in, only remove the device from the cradle?

Specifically this one

And then this cradle is the size I'd need....

Is that correct? because if so, that would be a no go. I wouldn't mind having a rod in the way, I could easily push that between the passenger seat and center trans tunnel, but if you can't remove the cradle without unscrewing it that'd be a super no go. Mainly because I don't want the cradle in the way when I don't have the tablet.

Or am I missing something?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Garage
If you loosen the tightening knob on the bar, it'll loosen both swivel joints and you can remove the bar and cradle, just leaving the mount that's attached to the vehicle.
ZheKing likes this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I've used the first mount (in the CD drive) and found it to become unstable over time - particularly with an oversized phone (phablet). Never bothered with an actual tablet, though I'd imagine it would have been worse. The second one you listed with the adjustable arm seems to be rather popular. Same with the RAM options.

Have you ever looked at Shapeways or another 3D printing company? I've found some interesting phone mount options on there. I'm still rocking a Nexus 6 (Google's 6" phablet phone) and found a nice mount that allows for use of a wireless charging puck. I'm not completely happy with where I have it mounted, but the mount itself is nice since it's more of a drop-in cradle style as opposed to the tension style.

29erClan and ZheKing like this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra X

I didn't use a specific Ram Mount setup but pieces and got it to work for me. Very stable and very little wobble.

RikRong and ZheKing like this.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
... found a nice mount that allows for use of a wireless charging puck. ...
I was wondering what that honeycomb thing was. A wireless charging holder. Super cool.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM
2007 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertonite View Post
I didn't use a specific Ram Mount setup but pieces and got it to work for me. Very stable and very little wobble.

I know a bit off topic, do you have a gps dongle?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode