Navigation and Communication - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator / (NEXTerra) Club Moderator
2006 Super Black ❌terra Off Road

Navigation and Communication

Over the past few months, I've added in a couple items, and have finally gotten around to putting together a thread. The first item I installed was the Garmin Nuvi 750 with the Nissan docking station. I was inspired to get this when I saw this thread.

My friend Brian helped me install it. It took probably 20 minutes to do it. I don't have any pictures of the install we did (there are plenty of others' here), but I do have some of the final product.

The docking station is awesome. It fits perfectly in the center console, and looks like it came right from the factory. You can close it with the Nuvi still connected.

I also got around to buying a new CB several months ago, since the first attempt I made was a flop. That thread can be found here: CB Dilemma.

The new CB is a Cobra 75 WX ST. I got this 2 Foot Firestik No Ground Antenna Kit, but didn't need the mounting bracket, as there was no place for it. I should have just ordered this one. But I digress.

So, there I was with a CB and an antenna, but no mount for the antenna. Well, I did some searching around, and found Fourtreks.com. I saw they had a CB Antenna Mount Kit, but it wouldn't work on the horizontal bars of the Xterra. I made a call to the company, and spoke to Luke, the owner. Just as I was explaining that I had an Xterra, and was interested in the kit he had, he finished my sentence for me. He said it wouldn't work, and that he needed to make one that would work with the bars. It was something that he had planned on making. He said to give him about a month, and he'd have it done. Let me tell ya - I was a pain in the ass calling him every couple weeks, checking in on things, but Luke was very patient and calm, I must say. He's a great guy. It took a little longer than a month, but I finally got the mount. It's the first one of its kind. It's simple, works perfectly and is very secure.

Let's get to the CB install. This took place a little over a month ago. My cousin helped me with the install, and Cindi (my girlfriend) took the pictures. We first started by pulling the weather stripping down along the driver's side doors, and pulled off the moldings.

I decided to run the antenna wire first for a couple reasons:

1 - I knew where I wanted to put the antenna - up front close to the driver's door. This way, if I had to fold down the antenna, I could get to it easier and quickly. Pictures will follow.
2. Once the antenna was in place, I knew this would determine the approximate location of the CB module, since the antenna wire is a fixed length.

The antenna wire was run alongside the driver's side of the truck, tucked under the headliner. When we got to the back, I poked a hole through the rubber grommet under the tailgate, and ran it out there.

Once the wire was through, I ran it up towards the roof. When the tailgate is closed, there is enough space so that the tailgate does not pinch the cable. I then ran the wire into the rain gutter, which goes right under the corner supports for the roof rack. Here you can see me loosening the screws of the back corner support. It doesn't need to come off; it just needs to be a bit loosened.

The blue thing in my hand is one of those rubber jar openers. It came in handy when trying to loosen the bolt! The front corner roof rack support did not need to be loosened; the cable just slid right under.

Then I mounted the Fourtreks antenna mount to the roof rack's bar. The mount comes in three pieces - 2 for the circular piece that wraps around the bar, and one for the antenna. 4 screws in total.

Next came the antenna. I pulled out my old Radio Shack crimping tool, crimped the wire, connected it to the antenna's bolt and screwed on the antenna.

The antenna kit came with a heat-shrink piece for the crimp, and a rubber cap to cover and protect the bolt. Make sure you put these on first before crimping! You can see the cap in this picture.

I also purchased a fold-over adapter, so that when I go into garages, I can fold the antenna down without having to remove it.

Once the antenna was mounted, we then worked our way back to the front of the truck. We took the slack out of the antenna wire going up to the roof, and started putting all of the molding and weather stripping back into place. Now I had to find a place to mount the small module that comes with the Cobra 75 WX ST. If I had to guess, it's about an 1" wide, 1" deep
and maybe 3" long. Give or take. Remember, the limiting factor was the antenna wire. By the time we got all of the slack out of that wire, the antenna's connecting terminal was down on the driver's side.

I had to get down under the steering column to find a home for the module. Looking up to the left, there is a metal wall with plenty of space. I drilled two holes for the mounting screws, and installed the module.

You can't see it because we forgot to get some photos of it, but the power for the module is grabbed from the battery. I poked a hole through the rubber grommet in the firewall, and fed the wire out there to the engine compartment. I had to extend the power cables in order to wrap all the way around to the battery. If I think of it, I'll ask Cindi to take some pictures of it, and I'll add them here.

Here's the final product inside the truck.

If you look close, the cable for the CB goes directly under the steering column. Well, I only had it like that for a couple weeks. I ordered a 4' Extension Cable from Cobra. It's actually not coiled like it shows on the web site; it's a straight cable. With this, I was able to wrap the extension wire under the steering column, and along the center console. There was enough space to tuck it under the console without pinching the cable. It then comes out just near the back of the driver's seat. I ziptied it down to the driver's seat frame to keep it from pulling up.

It may not look like it in these pictures, but that cable is actually lower, and is not that visible.

Here are some more pictures of the antenna.

Thanks for taking the time to read this entire thread!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mtdewmike; 12-31-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM
2008 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to Wickedsurf
great post dude, some great stuff in here

08 S 4x4...Pioneer Double Din Unit..Bluetooth and Ipod..Xoskel Light Mount 4 KC Daylighters...Weather Tech Floor Matts
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Veteran
2010 Pathfinder S

Looks great, Mike; well done

;
;

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra SE

good post with some great info, i really like that mount

C. J.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Veteran
08 Xterra SE

Send a message via AIM to SquibleeArmorX
nice write up...it will help me decide what I want to do. I'm trying to decide whether I want the Uniden PRO 510XL or the Cobra 75 WX ST. I like the idea for the antenna mount...are they available for everyone yet?
-jason

You have to be involved to evolve.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

Did you check your SWR?

Muzikman
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman
Did you check your SWR?
Not yet. I saw an SWR meter at Radio Shack, but didn't want to or have the $50 at the time to buy it.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Veteran
08 Xterra SE

Send a message via AIM to SquibleeArmorX
SWR METER cheap : http://www.rightchannelradios.com/sw...meter-333.html

You have to be involved to evolve.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

Yeah, don't spend $50 on an SWR meter.

I have the one listed above and it works just fine. I like the one in my Xterra, but I can't find it any place any more. I bought the one above for my jeep, but it's too big to leave attached.

Muzikman
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks, guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that you keep the SWR connected all the time? I thought it was just a one-time thing?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode