2011 Xterra Fog Lights and Off Road Lights Rewire - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra PRO-4X

2011 Xterra Fog Lights and Off Road Lights Rewire

I traded in my 2007 for a 2011 PRO-4X a few weeks ago and the lights have been driving me nuts. I set out to make the fogs work any time the tail lights were on and the off road lights work any time the ignition was on. However, I also wanted to keep the look of the vehicle stock an not bypass any of the major safety features or over load any circuits. Having a background in electrical engineering helped, but I can't thank you guys enough for the help you've given here. As such, I thought I would share my electrical modifications since I don't think anyone has posted modifications that keep all of the safety features in place.

First, with the exception of the fog lights and the trailer lights, the lighting and electrical wiring diagrams in the 2009 factory service repair manual are accurate for the 2011. (http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUT...a/2009_Xterra/ EXL.pdf is where the lighting diagrams are).

Fog lights mod:

To really make this work the way I wanted, I combined the following two mods:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...ght-pass-2991/
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41057

I don't like how the first is an "always on" sort of thing nor do I like that it loads a previously 10A circuit with up to 25A. So, I used the fuse tap to give me a positive voltage when the tails were on and I used the stalk mod to let me know when the switch was on (note, I wired a positive voltage to the stalk instead of a ground). The resulting circuit was two relays in series wired directly to the battery and the fogs (I actually wired it to the fog lights circuit in the fuse box).

Off Road Lights mod:

This took a lot more work. I originally started with https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30851 however, I really don't like that this bypasses the cover sensor and doesn't use the stock switch (again, I really wanted to keep the stock equipment). With a little bit of work, I was able to solve both problems.

Using a flip flop circuit, you can utilize the (negative/ground) pulse sent by the stock momentary switch.

After a fair amount of testing, I found that the cover sensors will ground their circuit to the BCM when the covers are on. Using this and another relay, I was able to create a circuit that obeyed all of the safety features and didn't require severing the wiring harness (I was able to tap in using wire taps).

Note: It is intentional that the Ignition +12V is wired to 87a (normally closed). This is so the cover sensors can break the circuit when they're on.

A digital/IC flip flop (a pulse SR Latch or equivalent) can be used since the currents are minimal, however, I like the idea of a mechanical switch instead just to make sure melt downs wouldn't cause a back current. I found this http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram23.html and it worked great.

I would post pictures, however, the links I gave really already give you everything you need and the pictures of the BCM and wiring harnesses weren't useful at all. If you go for the off road lights mod, make sure you study the diagrams in the manual, particularly page EXL-73 and the pinout description starting on EXL-109. Thanks again for making such a helpful community. I hope this is able to help someone else with the same concerns I had.
Houndsong likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Administrator
2006 Silver Lightning ❌terra "S" 4x4

Hey, now this is a GREAT first post!!!

"D'Garv"
Member #272
Stock Silver Lightning AT
Live Free. Drink Good Beer. Eat More Sushi.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra PRO-4X

I really have no idea what you just said, but it sounds very good. I will try to translate at some point into laymanspeak since I would like to change the behavior of the fogs and OR lights at some point.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran
2008 War Machine Edition Xterra OR

Send a message via Skype™ to macguyvermedic
Nice job my friend.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.937400,-85.334547
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra PRO-4X

Thank guys

Here's some proof that it works
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra PRO-4X

I realized in my excitement to do this, I made the fog circuit too complicated. I reduced the circuit to 1 relay for fewer points of failure and redrew my diagram to include more of the pieces.

Last edited by theascended; 09-27-2011 at 09:38 AM.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

newbie with wiring questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just got my 2011 Pro-4x Xterra about a month ago and have been spending waaay too much time on this forum planning the mods. Thanks to all of you for sharing your mod ideas. It's been a busy mod month.

theascended, first of all, thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm about ready to jump into this mod this weekend but I just had a couple questions before I start that I was hoping you'd be able to answer.

For the roof lights:
  • In your wiring diagram, there's a red "x" on the SPDT relay. I'm assuming this means it's not used. Is that correct?
  • In the wiring diagram for the flip flop (http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram23.html), with the left-most relay as #1 and the right-most relay as #4:
  • What's the black rectangular (with stripe) symbol/object wired to relay #1, terminal 87a?
  • There's a similar symbol/object on relay #2 between terminals 86 and 85. Is terminal 87a involved in the wiring of this?
  • Is it just the 4 wire taps coming from the BCM wires to connect into the relay assemblies?

Thanks again.
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Veteran
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Hey... I like the mod.
I didn't see your thread and I started this.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47702

I have similar idea, except mine I prefer to have the fog lights automatically on when I use the roof lights. It's obvious that when we use the roof lights we want more lights.
But while having the roof lights off, I still want to be able to use the stock switch for the fog lights too.

theascended - since you have a lot more electrical knowledge than me, do you think my little diagram of the 2 funnels and goal posts would work? lol

EDIT: See post 46 for picture tutorial.

Last edited by Wasabi; 11-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 AM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

OK, so after poking around, I found this. Those symbols/objects would appear to be diodes. So the remaining question is what voltage and amperage diodes were used? I'm assuming the voltage is 12 and the amperage will be minimal but I just want to make sure before I go hacking in my new X. Thanks.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra PRO-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi4ever View Post
Hey... I like the mod.
I didn't see your thread and I started this.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47702

I have similar idea, except mine I prefer to have the fog lights automatically on when I use the roof lights. It's obvious that when we use the roof lights we want more lights.
But while having the roof lights off, I still want to be able to use the stock switch for the fog lights too.

theascended - since you have a lot more electrical knowledge than me, do you think my little diagram of the 2 funnels and goal posts would work? lol
Hey Wasabi4ever. A couple questions for you. 1) Do you want the ORL switch to work independent of the high beams? 2) Are you planning on running your own wires/switches?

The diagram you have setup will require you to rewire the fogs and the ORL since they're all currently controlled through the BCM. The ORL relay is under the dash so you can get away with some taps, but the fogs are controlled entirely within the BCM and requires some sort of bypass to make it work.

If you at least do the fog light mod using the later diagram (only 1 relay) there is an easy way you can do what you want. Since my fog mod and in the ORL wiring are both ground activated all you need to do is jump the relay trigger for the ORL (BCM/M19:50/W) to pin 86 on the new fog relay from the mod. The same method will work if you do both mods as well.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode