Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Dreaded Code P0430

100K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  julio 
#1 ·
Bought my '05 X new in Feb 2006, and from time to time over the last 3-4 years the SES light pops on after a fuel fill, particularly when filling with the engine running. Seems to be a common issue with X's - no big deal as the SES light normally goes off after a day or so.

A few months back, the SES came on after fueling - but this time did not go off. This caused my truck to fail MASS state inspection, and the guy cleared the light. Said drive it 100+ miles and then we can re-test. The light stayed off, until I refueled. WTF.

So, I took the vehicle to several places, all of which ran an OBD II scan, which came back with a P0430 code. According to a poster here, this code means "TW Catalyst SYS-B2"

Here is what each place said:

1. Advanced Auto - the Bank 2 oxygen sensor is bad. $100.44 for part.

2. Monroe Muffler - the Bank 2 Cat is bad. $1,015 installed. Ouch.

3. AutoZone - they gave me a print out that idenitfies 4 possibilities:
a. Large Vacuum leak
b. Fuel system fault
c. Ignition system failure
d. Failed Bank 2 catalytci converter

Now, since I am still in shock on the $1000+ bill for replacing the converter, I decided to just replace the gas cap and drive the truck for a few days to see whether the SES light goes off. I had a 2001 Jetta, which I purchased new, which also had an SES problem. Dealer wanted $600 just to drop the gas tank to see whether the sending unit was bad. New gas cap solved the problem and the light never came on again over more than 200,000 miles.

But, in case I am not lucky this way again, wondering whether anyone has had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Seems like ignition system failure could relate to spark plugs, which I have not replaced and have 120,000+ miles on the originals. Probably should do that.

Additionally, I am getting about 14 miles to the gallon, instead of the normal 18-21 mpg.

Really hate to replace anything if it does not solve the issue. However, if the cat is bad, and not replaced, couldn't it damage the two cats behind it?

See less See more
#36 ·
Heres what you do in mass.... Go get a bottle of techtron (sp) fuel cleaner, the stuff you put in the tank, and put it in the tank. Fill her up, clear the code ( there's a how to here to do that). Drive around for about 200 miles to guarrantee OBDii readyness, and then pass your inspection ( the light should still be off). Then work on gettin that thing replaced. Rockauto has them cheap and it cost me about 200 bucks to get it installed. Where are you in mass btw? Posted via Mobile Device
05 Nissan Xterra 4.0L 4x4 code P0430 I am trying this. I hope it works, if not I have just waisted $18. I will reply with the results.