Dealer says It's My ECM, should I Believe Them! - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road

Dealer says It's My ECM, should I Believe Them!

I have a 2010 Off Road. A couple of times last week it didn't start right off, had to crank it over a couple of times before it would start but then ran fine. Then it was hard to start, finally caught, ran rough for a few seconds, died, wouldn't start again. Had it towed to my mechanic and they said they were unable to communicate with the ECM at all, no power to the fuel pump on prime or start and all fans came on as soon as key was turned to on. They found all the threads about the ECM relay which I've also looked at--the symptoms match my experience but the dealer says there aren't any relay recalls on my truck. They are still diagnosing but leaning towards needing a new ECM. I trust them as far as I can throw them so any advice from those in the know is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM
pso
2006 Xterra X

How much does the dealership want to charge for changing the ECM? It may be worth it to change the ECM relay to see if that fixes your problem. If you don't want to do it yourself, what an independent garage would charge you to do it should be way less than what the dealership is likely to charge you to change the ECM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

My lovely wife reminded me that we bought the extended warranty through our credit union and they're covering the ECM as well as a couple other things. So it's costing us a $50 deductible!

Brunnie likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

That fan issue does sound like it could be the ECM, i've read on here about bad ecm's, something about white box vs black box or something.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2009 Xterra X

dude, don't know how to quickly link my thread but had the exact symptoms.

long story - new ECM corrected the problem at 1200 bucks or so...

I still have the old white model fuse tray and tried the eco relay swap with no luck. (And assume this played no role since the white tray is still on the truck.)\

received the same "cannot communicate with ECM", no prime, crank but no start, fan on as soon as i turn the key, shift linkage checked out and was not 'out of park'.

The only thing that i can attribute this to, is either a freak happening or had something to due with my positive battery cable worked loose to the point where the truck stalled on the highway. tightened everything back up and a week later the ECM was fried.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2009 Xterra X

and also had the security key lit up on the dash...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

please remember that your Xterras are 9/10 years old.
parts wear out and it is no surprise.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
please remember that your Xterras are 9/10 years old.
parts wear out and it is no surprise.
Of course! But when I'm reading that there's a known ECM relay issue that's about $10 to fix and the dealer (who I have zero experience with) says it's the ECM I'm gonna be a little wary. I care a lot less when my warranty covers it!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyer View Post
dude, don't know how to quickly link my thread but had the exact symptoms.

long story - new ECM corrected the problem at 1200 bucks or so...

I still have the old white model fuse tray and tried the eco relay swap with no luck. (And assume this played no role since the white tray is still on the truck.)\

received the same "cannot communicate with ECM", no prime, crank but no start, fan on as soon as i turn the key, shift linkage checked out and was not 'out of park'.

The only thing that i can attribute this to, is either a freak happening or had something to due with my positive battery cable worked loose to the point where the truck stalled on the highway. tightened everything back up and a week later the ECM was fried.
Did you have any cat issues around the same time? Lots of folks on threads saying within a month or two of having ECM issues they had to replace the cats

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

ECM was replaced under my extended warranty (as well as the rear hatch lock actuator so I don't have to lock it with the key every. Friggin. Time. I. Get. Out...), they re-ran all the diagnostics, no new codes once they could communicate with the ECM. Picked her up last Tuesday and all seemed good. Thursday night my wife comments that she seems to be idling a little rough (the X, not my wife), Friday morning had to hit the key twice but started, Friday afternoon had to crank and crank but finally started up. Got her back to the dealership without another tow but they won't be able to look until tomorrow. Any ideas what now? No warning lights are on. Didn't pay attention to whether the fans were coming on this time. Very frustrated and ready to have the old mountain goat back (again, the X not my wife ) cuz the Rogue they gave me for a loaner just ain't cuttin it.

Nake likes this.

Last edited by TANSTAAFB; 06-30-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode