Electrical Woes - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra S

Electrical Woes

Hey guys, having some electrical issues that I can't quite peg

My blower vent is on full blast when I start the car, or the key is in the "ON" position. I replaced the battery, and just today the blower motor resistor.

The other part of it that has me confused, is the gauge "shake" when I initially turn the key to the ON positions. Gauges shake, freak out for a second, then normalize and show everything is fine. I have no lights on, that would indicate anything crazy happening. ALSO, it seems I have no power going to the OBD port either as I have a wifi dongle, and a cheap code reader that can't get any power.

I've been through the following so far to no avail, still have the same issue:

-New Battery
-New Blower Motor Resistor
-Checked fuses and relays
-Checked the battery cables
-Went through as many ground connections as I could find
-Autozone tried to check the alternator, but couldn't get it straight through the battery, with the motor ground, it read 12.9 volts. (Brand New Battery)

I'm not the best with electrical stuff, however, I'd like to tackle this myself if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time and has any insight.

Thanks

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
The gauge cluster needles are shaking every single time you turn the key on?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
The gauge cluster needles are shaking every single time you turn the key on?
Yes Sir. Has me leaning in the direction of the alternator going out? Have 114K miles on it, but have never had any electrical issues until now.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

I recently had my alternator go on me. (loose battery terminal i think cause it to overwork and die) It definitely makes it act weird. put a multimeter on it and have a look. on startup it will read 18v while is full open until the ecu dictates the charge to ~14 ish after a min or so. If the alternator or voltage regulator is going you will see something different. tax the alternator with everything you can turn on and see if it still holds voltage steady.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Garage
Have to agree with this ^.

The weirdness you have all over the electrical system makes me lean more towards it being a problem with the power source. The gauge needles doing the recalibration stuff makes me think it's losing all power when the key is off. Anything traumatic happen when the previous battery went out?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Read this and prompted me to do a quick google search in memory of similar problem years ago. The titan forum has a post “gauge needles shaking at startup” where the BCM replacement fixed it. That and the repeated notion of a bad battery as well as bad “big 3” wires or alternator. Thus now I’ll add... how to test for a bad BCM for the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
I recently had my alternator go on me. (loose battery terminal i think cause it to overwork and die) It definitely makes it act weird. put a multimeter on it and have a look. on startup it will read 18v while is full open until the ecu dictates the charge to ~14 ish after a min or so. If the alternator or voltage regulator is going you will see something different. tax the alternator with everything you can turn on and see if it still holds voltage steady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Have to agree with this ^.

The weirdness you have all over the electrical system makes me lean more towards it being a problem with the power source. The gauge needles doing the recalibration stuff makes me think it's losing all power when the key is off. Anything traumatic happen when the previous battery went out?

I will definitely see about testing with a multimeter tomorrow after work. Have to find it again after the move, but i will take a look. Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what happens.

the other thing I noticed, which has me leaning even more towards the regulator or alternator, is every time I cycle the car on and off, the trip meter resets as well as all the programmed radio stations, like taking the negative terminal off the battery...hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledheadX View Post
Read this and prompted me to do a quick google search in memory of similar problem years ago. The titan forum has a post “gauge needles shaking at startup” where the BCM replacement fixed it. That and the repeated notion of a bad battery as well as bad “big 3” wires or alternator. Thus now I’ll add... how to test for a bad BCM for the OP?

thanks for the additional feedback! That didn't come up in the plethora of google searches and forum backlogs I've been digging through. One more thing to keep in the backlog incase I can't come up with something. Thanks

Appreciate everyone taking the time to help.

Geoff
Old 06-22-2019, 11:31 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra OR 6MT

Check your fuses again. Mine did the same thing earlier this year. But the only way I found it, was by OHMing out all my fuses with a multimeter. It did not look blown physically, but it had no continuity through it. The mini fuses are horrible for this. The one that was blown was in the dashboard fuse box. Can't remember which one.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Veteran

Garage
Definitely weird, almost seems like a bad ground or very weak battery. Is it starting up normally? A lot of the critical fuses are located on the battery terminal connector you might want to check those out first.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:47 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenderson21 View Post
I will definitely see about testing with a multimeter tomorrow after work. Have to find it again after the move, but i will take a look. Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what happens.

the other thing I noticed, which has me leaning even more towards the regulator or alternator, is every time I cycle the car on and off, the trip meter resets as well as all the programmed radio stations, like taking the negative terminal off the battery...hmmmm

thanks for the additional feedback! That didn't come up in the plethora of google searches and forum backlogs I've been digging through. One more thing to keep in the backlog incase I can't come up with something. Thanks

Appreciate everyone taking the time to help.

Geoff

Don’t mention it. As I’ve learned too, that’s what we’re all here for. Just passing it along.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in