Odometer Gremlins - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By maytawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
2005 Red Brawn Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Odometer Gremlins

This happened to me the other day and I'm wondering if it's happened to anyone here.

I started my X and it started normally. Since it was dusk, I turned on my headlights. I heard a faint beep and then looked down and noticed the odometer display was showing all o's. I know that sounds weird and you are probably thinking, huh? He's talking gibberish.

Let me try to describe it a little better. As you know, the odometer display has a top and a bottom display. I'm talking about the top part where it shows the total number of miles driven on the car. The top part was showing all o's. By this I mean that if you picture a digital number 8, the bottom half of the 8 was showing in each of the 6 positions on the odometer display. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, because it was weird, but it only lasted a few seconds and then everything went back to normal. It's been a few days and it hasn't happened again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what causes it? Should I be worried?

Last edited by maytawn; 06-21-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Whoa... That IS weird... Did it look like this?

Haha. Only thing I could think of... Mine ONLY does this when I adjust the dash backlight settings.

As a matter of fact, I was only able to get this photo after adjusting them with the headlights on and key in ignition.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes! It looked exactly like that!

How do you adjust the dash backlight? I'd like to see if I can reproduce the problem.
Adam12SD likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

That little stick lookin thing protruding from your dash glass... under your speedometer.

Yep... That one... Just spin it. Haha. With the key in and lights on of course.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 PM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Adam's got it, I'm sure, though on mine when it's completely black all the "o"s dissapear I believe, or turn to dashes...

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, it is so cool to learn something new about a car I have had for nearly 15 years! (and plan to keep forever)

I played around with the dash light brightness/odometer reset knob and sure enough, turning the knob with the key in the ignition and the headlights on is exactly how you make the o's show up. With a little experimentation, I also realized that the number of o's displayed corresponds to the brightness of the of the dash lights. Turning the knob clockwise increases the brightness and adds o's to the display. When you get to 6 o's the car beeps and that's the brightest setting. Turning the knob counter-clockwise reduces the brightness and subtracts o's from the display. At the brightness setting right before the dash goes completely dark 1 o is displayed and the car beeps.

Pretty cool. Thanks to Adam for the tip.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Its probably a non issue, but you may wish to stop by an auto store and have both your battery and alternator tested.

If you choose to do this, please reply back with your results.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode