AC not Working, Replaced Resistor, then Blower Motor, checked Fuse - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 20
AC not Working, Replaced Resistor, then Blower Motor, checked Fuse

Hello, i have a second gen 06 S. My ac went out last week, I've replaced the resistor a few times so ordered one and replaced it. Still didnt work, so i replaced blower motor, and checked the fuse. Still no luck. Not sure what else could be the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Diddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka
 
Brunnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
Hello, i have a second gen 06 S. My ac went out last week, I've replaced the resistor a few times so ordered one and replaced it. Still didnt work, so i replaced blower motor, and checked the fuse. Still no luck. Not sure what else could be the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Assuming the compressor is not running, step 1 should have been "Have the refrigerant charge checked". If that was good then proceed to other steps.
Brunnie is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road
 
satown210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,777
A/C doesn't work doesn't exactly say whats wrong. Is the blower not working? Is the blower working but it isn't cold etc etc?
satown210 is online now  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 20
Right, so let me explain some more. 1,2,3,4 all do not work when trying to turn air on. The little AC light comes on to show its engaged when going from 0 to any number. I can hear the compressor kick on. When im on the highway i can feel that cool air coming through a bit but the fan isnt spinning. So as states before replaced resistor and motor but still no luck. I figured maybe i got a faulty part, so tried swapping out resistors and trying the old one again, and still cant get that fan to turn.
Diddy is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka
 
Brunnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
Right, so let me explain some more. 1,2,3,4 all do not work when trying to turn air on. The little AC light comes on to show its engaged when going from 0 to any number. I can hear the compressor kick on. When im on the highway i can feel that cool air coming through a bit but the fan isnt spinning. So as states before replaced resistor and motor but still no luck. I figured maybe i got a faulty part, so tried swapping out resistors and trying the old one again, and still cant get that fan to turn.
OK, much better details. Does the fan work when the controls are in the heater positions? Does it work when you want the defroster on? Basically to me it sounds like the blower motor has died, but I'd try various combinations before blaming the A/C section.
Brunnie is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4
 
BlackbirdSR71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Posts: 472
Garage
You might have leaked out all the refrigerant...check that first. On a 13 y/o Xterra - this could have happened by now ?
Brunnie likes this.
BlackbirdSR71 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 20
No blower on heat either. The blower i took out was pretty damn stiff comared to the new one i put in. The fans not spinning on any speed heat or cold. Brand new resistor and motor.
Diddy is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka
 
Brunnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
No blower on heat either. The blower i took out was pretty damn stiff comared to the new one i put in. The fans not spinning on any speed heat or cold. Brand new resistor and motor.
Can you hook the new motor directly to 12 volts and see if it spins? If it does, then it isn't a motor problem. If it doesn't, you've found your problem.
Brunnie is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 PM
pso
Senior Member
2006 Xterra X
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
No blower on heat either. The blower i took out was pretty damn stiff comared to the new one i put in. The fans not spinning on any speed heat or cold. Brand new resistor and motor.
If the old motor was siezed and not turning, it could have pulled enough current to fry the fan speed selector switch (front blower switch).

It is highly likely that your new motor will spin when connected directly to 12V. Please use a voltmeter/DVM to check the two motor wires. With the vehicle turned off and the switch set to 4, one of the wires (blue?) should show low resistance (under 10 Ohms) to chassis. If the DVM reads something higher than 10 Ohms, either one of the connectors is not plugged in correctly or the switch is fried. With the vehicle on and the switch set to 4, the other wire (white/green) should give you your battery voltage (12 to 14V). If you do not get the battery voltage, either the two fuses (labeled 24 and 27 on page MTC-36) or the Front Blower Motor Relay are bad.

It would be very helpful for you to download the Factory Service manual from the link below. There is a diagnostic table on page 30 of the MTC section (mtc.pdf) followed by the schematics and wiring diagrams for the HVAC system.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan...e-manuals.html
pso is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road
 
satown210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
You might have leaked out all the refrigerant...check that first. On a 13 y/o Xterra - this could have happened by now ?
Freon has nothing to do with the blower motor not working.

The only thing left after blower motor, resistor, and fuses is the fan selector switch.
satown210 is online now  
Reply

  Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome