AC Not Working Properly! - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

AC Not Working Properly!

Hello Everyone, I've been searching around the forum and it doesnt look like anyone has experienced the issues Im having. So our AC seems to work great when we initially get in the car. However, within about 20-30 minutes of driving it starts blowing warm air. The fan works just fine, cycles through all the speed settings, AC light is on, but it almost seems like the AC stops working and the Vent kicks in. We can hear everything working just fine but the car stops producing cold air. And of course, this always seems to happen to us when it is 90+ degrees out. I took it to a local shop and they tested the pressure, made sure the AC was charged and everything checked out just fine. They even held on to it for an extra day and ran it all day at their shop (idling) and the AC worked great! the car was an ice box. However, put it under some driving stress and within 20-30 minutes.. HOT AIR!! I'm stumped... Has anyone experienced anything similar? Were you able to fix it? What was the cause? Any guidance would be great! Thanks in Advance guys.
Adam12SD likes this.

Last edited by Bronson1729; 05-29-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:45 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1729 View Post
Hello Everyone, I've been searching around the forum and it doesnt look like anyone has experienced the issues Im having. So our AC seems to work great when we initially get in the car. However, within about 20-30 minutes after driving it starts blowing warm air. The fan works just fin, cycles through all the speed settings, AC light is on, but it almost seems like the AC stops working and the Vent kicks in. We can hear everything working just fine but the car stops producing cold air. And of course, this always seems to happen to us when it is 90+ degrees out. I took it to a local shop and they tested the pressure, made sure the AC was charged and everything checked out just fine. They even held on to it for an extra day and ran it all day at their shop (idling) and the AC worked great! the car was an ice box. However, put it under some driving stress and within 20-30 minutes.. HOT AIR!! I'm stumped... Has anyone experienced anything similar? Were you able to fix it? What was the cause? Any guidance would be great! Thanks in Advance guys.
Your system is like OVER charged. If it has too much of the refrigerant in it, it is probably slugging the compressor and not allowing it to properly charge. Good news is the system is still holding pressure, so you can have it vented or purged and then vacuumed and refilled to the proper amount of r134a.

This is all just from a bit of reading I've been doing to recharge my AC in my truck. I'm not an HVAC tech or nuthin. ...please take this with a grain of salt. Haha.
Bronson1729 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

the weird thing is we had never charged it. I know the shop mechanic mentioned he was going to charge it, but he said it had plenty of refrigerant.
Adam12SD likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1729 View Post
the weird thing is we had never charged it. I know the shop mechanic mentioned he was going to charge it, but he said it had plenty of refrigerant.
Hmm. Not sure then. I know how much that would be pain in the rear to not have AC in the heat... Trying to get mine buttoned up as we speak.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM
2005 Xterra

Sounds like your compressor clutch is worn. There are usually spacers in there and you can pull one out to reduce the clearance.
Bronson1729 likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
blend door stuck partially open.
Bronson1729 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

I guess I need to check the blend door and compressor clutch. Have either of you swapped out the compressor clutch or blend door? I imagine the blend door is a much easier fix than a compressor or compressor clutch.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM

If the blend door is where I think it is, it's nearly as difficult as the heater core I just did.

Entire dash has to come out and the dash support has to be removed from the frame. It's a bear.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Not sure what somebody said meant by venting, but never “vent” refrigerant into the atmosphere. It is a very large fine and is bad for the environment. It’s a $32,500 fine if caught doing so. Have it properly recovered and recorded by a licensed epa 608/609 technician. I have my epa 608 license and would strongly recommend a professional to assist you.
Adam12SD likes this.

Last edited by meanGREENnugget; 05-30-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanGREENnugget View Post
Not sure what somebody said meant by venting, but never “vent” refrigerant into the atmosphere. It is a very large fine and is bad for the environment. It’s a $32,500 fine if caught doing so. Have it properly recovered and recorded by a licensed epa 608/609 technician.
Yowza!!!

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode