Limp Mode? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Lifeguard Yellow Xterra X

Garage
Limp Mode?

So I had some differential work done, however whenever I went to drive it to check the diff work, the ABS VDC OFF and SLIP lights came on on the dash. I was only able to move 1-2 mph. I did some reading and was told Im in limp mode. I tried disconnecting the battery, I filled up brake fluid, and I cleaned the ABS sensors. It's not throwing any codes as well. Any Idea on how to get out of limp mode?

"Hey, Yall watch this. I'm gonna send it!" *does something stupid*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Can you be more specific about the diff work and what was done? The lights on the dash don't really concern me because those systems don't need to be active to drive the truck normally. Nissan even says you can even unplug the entire harness (near the brake booster) for diagnostic work and start it up and drive it. Is it revving normally?

This thread might help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
The spider gears stripped, I took the old ring gear off and put it on a new gear housing and with new spider gears. It will rev but no matter what gear it is in it won't go faster than 1-2 mph. It will rev normally.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Did you disconnect any of the electrical before/during the work? It sounds more like a tranny issue but that would be the first thing to check I think. If you have a code scanner you can check for any pending codes that might be showing up on it too. Is yours an auto? When you shift from P to D do you feel/hear that clunk of the driveshaft being engaged?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBoi View Post
The spider gears stripped, I took the old ring gear off and put it on a new gear housing and with new spider gears. It will rev but no matter what gear it is in it won't go faster than 1-2 mph. It will rev normally.
I don't think you are in limp mode

Who did the gear swap? Did you? Have you done a gear install before?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Sorta for the battery being disconnected. It sat for about 3 weeks before being worked on with the inside lights on so there was no power left in it during the work. No codes have come up and no codes are pending. Yes, it is an automatic trans. I don't hear the driveshaft engage, however, I can still roll forwards? The more I think about it, the more confused I become.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBoi View Post
Wait, did you replace the ring gear because the new differential was a different gear ratio, and NOT replace the pinion gear?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 545 View Post
Wait, did you replace the ring gear because the new differential was a different gear ratio, and NOT replace the pinion gear?
I took the ring gear off the old diff and put it on the new diff so that they stay together. (they being the ring and pinion gear)

Last edited by ChickenBoi; 05-06-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarification
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
I did the gear swap. Every place I called to do it quoted me at roughly 4-5K. (My X is probably worth only 2K LOL) I torqued the ring gear and every bolt to spec.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:08 PM
2005 Xterra

That’s not how gears are installed. Bring it to a shop that does gears and DONT drive it. I do everything on my cars except three things- gears, transmissions and ac. There is a reason. It’s an art of sorts; if you want to learn, go ahead, but understand you have a good chance of blowing up your first gear swap

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode