Inquiry about Installation LED Lights on my Rocker Panels above Tires - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Apples491
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Super Black ❌terra SV

Garage
Inquiry about Installation LED Lights on my Rocker Panels above Tires

I purchased these lights: "LED Rock Light Kits with 6 pods Lights for JEEP Off Road Truck Car ATV SUV Under Body Glow Light Lamp Trail Fender Lighting (White).
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019ODAK26?...p_mob_ap_share " and it didn't came with a switch nor anything else needed for the job.

I want to take a risk and learn to wire myself but i'll need a small101 DIY "course". I love learning and always wanted to learn how to do electrical jobs but those diagrams gives me headache because its like chinese to me 😕.

Does anybody knows how to wire LED lights or if there is a topic already about it?

On top of these LED, i bought a "Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus & Cover", another Xterra suggested me this to keep my wiring clean under the hood. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001P6FTHC?...p_mob_ap_share

If you'll even wonder my level of electrical knowledge is Newbie(Level 1). I hope by trying to install these lights i won't burn my xterra 😂.

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UA_Xterra108; 03-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Found a thread about Blue Sea Fuse Box install Help. Not need to figure out about the LED lights diy.

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 AM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Here's more information than you ever thought you needed to know about wiring.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-ele...pic-heavy.html
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
If they didn't come with a switch you'll need to buy one. The fuse block you bought will protect against overloading and burning stuff up but you will also have to either buy a wiring harness or build one. With the fuse block also install an inline fuse for the cable connecting it to the battery. I think given where you want to install them even if you buy one you're going to still need to cut into it because you won't find a harness build for exactly what you want to do with it.

Honestly installing these inside the fenders probably is going to give them a pretty short lifespan with all the water they will have to deal with, definitely make sure when you splice those in you make it as waterproof as you can.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Thanks, do you have any suggestion on how to make it more waterproof as possible?

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
I don't know how long the pigtails are on the lights you ordered but try to find some heat-shrink tubing that's slightly larger than the wire gauge and use long pieces of the splices. I'd do 8" probably so the connection has 4 on each side of it. Materials-wise you can do pretty thin wire on LED lights like those, I used 20 gauge run through some plastic cable sheathing on some of mine.

The key is to have as few connections as possible outside the truck where the weather can get into them, you could probably run the wire from the rears along the frame to the front, up into the engine bay and over to a relay near the battery. Then you would only have to run wires from the relay to the switch. Another option if you didn't want to have a switch and just wanted them to come on with say, the parking lights, you could just do a fuse tap from the fuse box to the relay.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode