Suggestion on Fog Light Options - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
2015 Xterra S

Suggestion on Fog Light Options

Hello All,

After being on the road for 6 months, I'm finally have a garage with my new house so I can start doing some work with my X

I have to drive home a few nights a week at 2 am. I been doing some research on the fog light system.

Currently my 2015 does not come with fog light, I could use some suggestion on which light is the most "functional"? I do not need fancy color, just something that is good to drive at night on the highway in the dark.

Any good suggestion?

2015 S model 4WD Glacier White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

The stock oem ones are pretty great imo. Driving a dark road at night, turning them off then on again to compare, the difference is extremely noticeable. They add a lot of light. I know I’m old and all the millennials are obsessed with LEDs, but a nice set of halogens suits me well.
GDPearson likes this.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I second the oem’s.

Wiring is already in place behind the bumper. And you can swap a new stalk on the steering wheel incredibly easily. Then it’s just as though they came factory.
The whole install took me like 20 minutes.

The difference in light is night and day! Lol!

Here’s the kit on Amazonia (price is high):

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Genuin.../dp/B00B9ZJVXC

Last edited by MartinX; 10-04-2018 at 04:03 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 AM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

I use the OEM fog lights too. I think they are the best stock lights on the truck. Mine are still stock. The headlights suck though. This is a weak spot for the X IMO. So I swapped the headlight bulbs for brighter halogens which helped. But high beams were still weak for distance at highway speed. So I added KC Hilites 3x4 driving lights in the bumper mouth to the high beam circuit, which made a world of difference.
TDog98x and MartinX like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
I second the oem’s.

Wiring is already in place behind the bumper. And you can swap a new stalk on the steering wheel incredibly easily. Then it’s just as though they came factory.
The whole install took me like 20 minutes.

The difference in light is night and day! Lol!

Here’s the kit on Amazonia (price is high):

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Genuin.../dp/B00B9ZJVXC
There's this kit as well:
Xterra Fog Light Kit
MartinX likes this.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >

Last edited by Brunnie; 10-04-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
There's this kit as well:
Xterra Fog Light Kit

Indeed. Mine is a link to OEM. The Amazon price is a teensy bit high. Could be found for less I bet.

The difference in the one you posted is that it’s aftermarket and not plug and play. Nor does it use the oem fog stalk.
It requires running the wires and installing a switch on the dash. BUT can be run independent of the low beams.
OEM are restricted to low beam only unless modded, FYI.

It’s an example of the TONS of aftermarket options.

Regardless of OEM, aftermarket, led, halogen, etc.... Any lighting addition is going to VASTLY improve your driving experience.

(There are better halogens for the crap headlights too. I’m running Night Defense and love them. I also “upgraded” the fogs to H9 yellow bulbs.)

Last edited by MartinX; 10-04-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Clarity
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
I was happy with OEM... until I got Morimoto. looks just like the OEM aka same looking housing, have LEDS, aimable, uses stock wiring, direct plug and play, provides actual light out put. night and day difference between the OEM vs morimoto on light output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
(There are better halogens for the crap headlights too. I’m running Night Defense and love them. I also “upgraded” the fogs to H9 yellow bulbs.)
Better off taping a maglights on the hood above the head lights and turning them on. the stock head lights are such doodoo. The general consensus in the xterra snap chat group is that HID head lights w/ projectors is the best mod.
MartinX and FLAX like this.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

I am another LED fog light conversion-er. Plugs & fits into OEM harness and mounting location. The fogs almost overpowered my headlights. See below post for more details:

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/153-di...ml#post3837914

ZheKing likes this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Whatever you do, low beam and fog lights need to be friendly to oncoming traffic.
satown210 and Liriodendron like this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE

Garage
Projector fog lights and 35w or 55w 4500k hids.

Mine are freaking fantastic!
I just turn them off when i know due to road contour that they will make contact with oncoming drivers eyeballs.
This only on single lane super dark roads that i turn them on and off.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode