Suggestion on Fog Light Options - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
You can also mod H9 fog light bulbs (65 watt) to work in the H11 (55 watt) housings to get more light. Also do the fog light mod so they stay on with the high beams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
2015 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheKing View Post
I was happy with OEM... until I got Morimoto. looks just like the OEM aka same looking housing, have LEDS, aimable, uses stock wiring, direct plug and play, provides actual light out put. night and day difference between the OEM vs morimoto on light output.

Better off taping a maglights on the hood above the head lights and turning them on. the stock head lights are such doodoo. The general consensus in the xterra snap chat group is that HID head lights w/ projectors is the best mod.
what is the model name/number of your Morimoto light?

2015 S model 4WD Glacier White
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
I am another LED fog light conversion-er. Plugs & fits into OEM harness and mounting location. The fogs almost overpowered my headlights]

Not trying to sound like a knob here as genuinely curious as I need to upgrade my headlights, but strictly looking at the before and after pic, the before looks like the better option (at least for what I need) as it has a much better spread of light out to the sides and also more distance. The after is obviously more brighter directly in front and the color is nicer for many situations.

Are they fogs or headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MartinX likes this.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet 180 View Post
Fogs.

Left are OEM halogen h11’s.

Right are led’s.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet 180 View Post
Not trying to sound like a knob here as genuinely curious as I need to upgrade my headlights, but strictly looking at the before and after pic, the before looks like the better option (at least for what I need) as it has a much better spread of light out to the sides and also more distance. The after is obviously more brighter directly in front and the color is nicer for many situations.

They are fogs as @MartinX said.

Lighting is always impossible to capture accurately with a camera unless you are a professional. I guess the camera increased exposure on the left to make it seem brighter than it really is for the pic, but in reality the OEM fogs with the headlights combined for a very dim total output. The LEDs were brighter in the center and about the same brightness as the OEM fogs on the outside (but because of the extra brightness in the center, they look darker on the outside in the "after" pic).

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran
2014 Lava Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheKing View Post
I was happy with OEM... until I got Morimoto. looks just like the OEM aka same looking housing, have LEDS, aimable, uses stock wiring, direct plug and play, provides actual light out put. night and day difference between the OEM vs morimoto on light output.

Better off taping a maglights on the hood above the head lights and turning them on. the stock head lights are such doodoo. The general consensus in the xterra snap chat group is that HID head lights w/ projectors is the best mod.
Tell me more about your Morimoto bulbs. I want something better but I do not want the LED "scatter-bombs" that everyone else has.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoftt View Post
Tell me more about your Morimoto bulbs. I want something better but I do not want the LED "scatter-bombs" that everyone else has.
The Morimoto are not “bulbs”, but whole assemblies. They replace the existing stock foglights completely.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ni...to-xb-led.html

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Xterra.../dp/B0731LLV59

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-ext...og-lights.html

Google: morimoto led fog light xterra
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 AM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
They are fogs as @MartinX said.

Lighting is always impossible to capture accurately with a camera unless you are a professional. I guess the camera increased exposure on the left to make it seem brighter than it really is for the pic, but in reality the OEM fogs with the headlights combined for a very dim total output. The LEDs were brighter in the center and about the same brightness as the OEM fogs on the outside (but because of the extra brightness in the center, they look darker on the outside in the "after" pic).

Thanks for the detailed answer. It does help a lot. I currently have a very neat LED spot light bar I installed just above the number plate so getting all other lights to work in conjunction is next priority.

AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Solar Yellow Xterra 4x4 6MT

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
I second the oem’s.

Wiring is already in place behind the bumper. And you can swap a new stalk on the steering wheel incredibly easily. Then it’s just as though they came factory.
The whole install took me like 20 minutes.

The difference in light is night and day! Lol!

Here’s the kit on Amazonia (price is high):

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Genuin.../dp/B00B9ZJVXC
The price of this kit looks very reasonable at $224, a new stalk is around $180. If I spent $70 on lights and $80 on a used stalk. The lights didn't come with a parts bag and then I had to search Ebay to find a usable stalk. If I had seen this kit, I would most likely have gone for it to have new. As for the wiring, mine was an S model and it came pre-wired for fogs. This is just as stated a 20-40 minute job if you have all the hardware. My install of the lights took a little longer, but that was due to no nuts and bolts with the lights.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 AM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
The Morimoto are not “bulbs”, but whole assemblies. They replace the existing stock foglights completely.

Google: morimoto led fog light xterra

They look like the ducks nuts. I am not familiar with that brand, or even those specific fogs, but I have seen generic universal style square box LED with that same LED style and projector set up. The spread and intensity was amazing! Much better that your typical 4x10 watt LEDs that those boxes normally come with.

I actually ended up with the typical 4x10 watt with a flood style mirror only because the way I intended to mount would have made the projector style run vertically and therefore wasn’t suited for me. I was after small boxes I could angle off to the side for night time offroad driving. So spread was more important than intensity.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode