Rugged Rocks 180A and 270A Alternator Electrical Issues - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
2013 Pro4X 6M/T
2013 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nworker View Post
I installed the alternator and, after talking with Steven at RR, made my harness match the configuration sent to @LNXPenguin. Steven told me the blue, sense, wire monitors system voltage. After talking through the wiring we thought hooking the blue wire directly to the output post of the alternator is the same as running the sense wire to the positive terminal a few feet away.

I'll be doing a write up on the install. The biggest PIA was getting the bolts in holding the alternator to the engine. I found I had to loosen both bolts on the lower bracket to get the upper bolt to line up. After some cussin' and wigglin' it all went in as expected. Kind of like my first date...

My Bully Dog tuner shows 14.6 as does my Victron controller when I combine my house and car circuits. All looks good and I didn't let out any smoke although I did hit my socket drive on the negative terminal when I was removing the positive post. DOH!
Gotta love that description. Did you weld your ratchet to the posts? I am assuming your 14.6 held stable?

Professional amateur wanderer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Desert Explorer
2015 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXPenguin View Post
Gotta love that description. Did you weld your ratchet to the posts? I am assuming your 14.6 held stable?
@LNXPenguin the ratchet did not get welded. Thank goodness and all that is wonderful.

Yes the 14.6 held steady. I must note the Bully Dog tuner takes some time to boot to the monitoring screen so if there was a spike in the first 30 seconds, it would not register.

Hank
N6HWW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
2013 Pro4X 6M/T

Good to know, I will try the new cable on my rig and hope that it fixes the issue.

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:45 PM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by nworker View Post
@LNXPenguin the ratchet did not get welded. Thank goodness and all that is wonderful.

Yes the 14.6 held steady. I must note the Bully Dog tuner takes some time to boot to the monitoring screen so if there was a spike in the first 30 seconds, it would not register.
Well that's good to hear. A couple questions.

Did you install with the harness in its original configuration first or did you go straight to modifying it to latest configuration of the harness?

At the 14.6v, is this after the engine has warmed and what's the RPM? Does the voltage get to 14.7v and above at idle or while driving? What voltage are you seeing when starting from a cold engine?

Click Here for >
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Desert Explorer
2015 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

@kingtruc @LNXPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtruc View Post
Did you install with the harness in its original configuration first or did you go straight to modifying it to latest configuration of the harness?
I installed in the updated configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtruc View Post
At the 14.6v, is this after the engine has warmed and what's the RPM? Does the voltage get to 14.7v and above at idle or while driving? What voltage are you seeing when starting from a cold engine?
Here are pictures of the bully dog. Note running times.

Cold, in park taken immediately after starting. The idle timer starts at one minute IIRC...

Warm, in park

Warm, in gear

Warm, in gear

FWIW, I wouldn't go through the pain of upsizing the ground. Upsizing the positive makes sense to me as one has to add the bigger fuse (300A) to handle the increased alternator outpu. The fuse block only has a 140A fuse that is too small for the either of the new alternators.

Hank
N6HWW

post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:39 PM

@nworker
Thanks for the info and pics. Definitely like your starting voltage of 14.8v compared to what @LNXPenguin and I are getting. Seeing 14.5v at 625 RPM is good to see too.

I was asking about your wire configuration because I didn't know if you initially had the fluctuation issue and the new configuration fixed it.

Click Here for >
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
2013 Pro4X 6M/T

@nworker Thanks for the pics and details. I am glad everything worked out on the install. That 15.2v on startup always spooks me, even though the Odyssey charger does the same thing. Can't wait for the rain to subside here and I can install that new pigtail. I want to banish this electrical gremlin back to the netherworld from where it came.

post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
2013 Pro4X 6M/T

@nworker Thanks for the pics and details. I am glad everything worked out on the install. That 15.2v I see on startup always spooks me, even though the Odyssey charger does the same thing. Can't wait for the rain to subside here and I can install that new pigtail. I want to banish this electrical gremlin back to the netherworld from where it came.

post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:18 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
So correct me if I'm wrong, but I will just go through the steps here.

I can cut the blue wire from my pigtail and connect it to the nut as shown using a ring terminal, then plug in the connector with the remaining + wire to the factory harness.

The cable that sends power to the factory fuse block (and then the battery) also goes on the same post as the aforementioned blue wire, however, we are no longer using this wire and it gets tucked away. Instead I should use a 1 gauge wire + inline 200A fuse (I have the 180 amp alt.) direct to the battery, or at least the connection closest to the terminal on the factory fuse block (bypassing the 140A factory fuse).

Do I have an understanding of everything?

post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong, but I will just go through the steps here.

I can cut the blue wire from my pigtail and connect it to the nut as shown using a ring terminal, then plug in the connector with the remaining + wire to the factory harness.
We'll find out this weekend whether that's the fix. In @nworker's case, since he installed it with the new configuration the first time, we can't know if there was a fluctuation issue with his to begin with and whether the new configuration fixed it.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode