Airbag Reset Not Working - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

Airbag Reset Not Working

In my previous Nissan I blew the side curtain airbags while 4 wheeling. In my X, I always pull the yellow connector under the passenger seat to avoid this happening. After my last trip off road, I made a mistake and plugged the connector back in while the truck was running. Now I cannot get the airbag light to stop blinking.

I've done the reset procedure numerous times and it will not work. I've also tried disconnecting the battery and then doing the reset procedure again... to no avail. I even tried pulling the connector while the truck was running then reconnecting it after pulling the key and that had no affect.

Does anyone have an idea how I can reset this?

Thanks

Click here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBrian View Post
In my previous Nissan I blew the side curtain airbags while 4 wheeling. In my X, I always pull the yellow connector under the passenger seat to avoid this happening. After my last trip off road, I made a mistake and plugged the connector back in while the truck was running. Now I cannot get the airbag light to stop blinking.

I've done the reset procedure numerous times and it will not work. I've also tried disconnecting the battery and then doing the reset procedure again... to no avail. I even tried pulling the connector while the truck was running then reconnecting it after pulling the key and that had no affect.

Does anyone have an idea how I can reset this?

Thanks
This same thing happened to me. I was able to get the light to move from diagnostic mode, back to the flashing mode, and vise-versa, but I couldn't get it to clear.

The next thing to do is to find someone that has a ECU reader that has the capability to clear the code. If that doesn't work, then take it to the dealer and tell them the light just popped up. I took mine in and they found the passenger side airbag control module was bad, and they replaced it under warranty. If you would like to discuss further, shoot me a PM (to avoid the post police that run around in this forum).

R. Long
Build Thread-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra S Plus

So, the air bag light will actually throw a code I can reset instead of doing the turn on, turn off 6 times BS? I will have to remember to try it with the scan gauge the next time I unplug it. Would be much easier.

Brian, it is new enough, stop by the dealer and ask why it is on. If you did do something while plugging it in they will cover it and if not, they will at least turn the light off for you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately my Nissan dealer has shut down. I guess I'll have to make an appt at one of the dealers in SJ and see what they can do.

Click here for >
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTKSHR View Post
So, the air bag light will actually throw a code I can reset instead of doing the turn on, turn off 6 times BS? I will have to remember to try it with the scan gauge the next time I unplug it. Would be much easier.

Brian, it is new enough, stop by the dealer and ask why it is on. If you did do something while plugging it in they will cover it and if not, they will at least turn the light off for you.
Supposedly, the diagnostic mode will tell you what's wrong with the series of flashes. If you have the correct reader for the airbag system, it'll reset/read the code. I have an UltraGauge and it doesn't read the airbag system, I doubt the Scangauge has the cape either. Normally, on mine the light would reset by just plugging the module back in, no reset needed. When my light wouldn't reset, it was because something was wrong with the system.

@BCBrian, I know it won't be fun driving to the dealer, but it should be fixed under warranty. My module was on backorder for about a week, which tells me there might be an actual problem with the'15 trucks. Don't mention unplugging or offroading.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
BCBrian likes this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:32 AM
2014 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Mine was one when I bought it. I tried the reset and out didn't work for me either. I didn't check the plug and I took it to the dealer. After a week (busy dealer in Austin) they determined it was unplugged and plugged it in. I don't know if they had to do a reset or what but it hasn't come back on.

I haven't unplugged mine for off roaring but I haven't done any serious off road trips either. That said I have been on some pretty shaky terrain with lots of side to side rocking which I read could cause the air bags to deploy with no issue.

Out of curiosity what happened with your first X when the bags deployed. What kind of terrain, speed, motion, etc caused yours to go off?

Hey! Steady, girl. Hey, what's the matter? You smell something?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by legare View Post
Mine was one when I bought it. I tried the reset and out didn't work for me either. I didn't check the plug and I took it to the dealer. After a week (busy dealer in Austin) they determined it was unplugged and plugged it in. I don't know if they had to do a reset or what but it hasn't come back on.

I haven't unplugged mine for off roaring but I haven't done any serious off road trips either. That said I have been on some pretty shaky terrain with lots of side to side rocking which I read could cause the air bags to deploy with no issue.

Out of curiosity what happened with your first X when the bags deployed. What kind of terrain, speed, motion, etc caused yours to go off?
I actually had a 2010 Frontier SE that the side curtain bags deployed in. The circumstance actually caused them to fire off. I got the truck on 3 wheels going down a steep hill and tapped the gas peddle to save it from rolling onto it's side. When the truck accelerated the bags went off. It happened at a very slow speed but the angle and quick movement combined into the deployment.

In the X, I never had a problem until this last off road trip. I could just plug the connector back in and the light would go off without doing the reset procedure that the 2010 required. I have a feeling that my rig has the same issue that Rik's did. Now I just need to choose a dealer to take it to.
legare likes this.

Click here for >
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 PM
2014 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
. I have a feeling that my rig has the same issue that Rik's did. Now I just need to choose a dealer to take it to.
Sound like a nerve racking experience. I'd be unplugging if that happened to me too... But I guess the truck can only guess on so many variables to try and save your bacon. It's a loose loose situation at that point if you were to roll and have them disengaged.
Good luck getting it taken care of!

Hey! Steady, girl. Hey, what's the matter? You smell something?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sound like a nerve racking experience. I'd be unplugging if that happened to me too... But I guess the truck can only guess on so many variables to try and save your bacon. It's a loose loose situation at that point if you were to roll and have them disengaged.
Interestingly enough, I had a multi rollover accident in my Frontier and the side curtains fired even though they were unplugged..... I'll admit, it was a violent accident though. I was very lucky to walk away with only bumps and bruises.

I now have a recommendation for a dealership and will call and make an appt for next week. I also have an issue with the ebrake not releasing all the way and squeeking until it finally releases.

Click here for >
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Interestingly enough, I had a multi rollover accident in my Frontier and the side curtains fired even though they were unplugged..... I'll admit, it was a violent accident though. I was very lucky to walk away with only bumps and bruises.

I now have a recommendation for a dealership and will call and make an appt for next week. I also have an issue with the ebrake not releasing all the way and squeeking until it finally releases.
Both of your posts bring up a discussion I had with some of the guys from SCCX...

We were talking about my flashing light and the bad airbag module. After having the dealer troubleshoot and then subsequently finding the bad module, I asked if the truck was safe to drive wth the bad module. The service manager said that the airbag system would still fully function, even with a bad module. To me, that means there is multiple redundancy built into the system, and now, I'm not convinced unplugging the harness will actually defeat the side curtains. After reading Brian's post, I'm even more convinced. I haven't unplugged since having the module replaced. I spent three days on the Mojave Road and a few other trips in between, with no issues [knocks on wood].

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
BCBrian and legare like this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode