SMOD Hit List - Year, Mileage, User and Outcome - Page 31 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 307 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

2008 X confirmed SMOD this morning. 168k mi. Swapping radiator tonight for aftermarket duralast (lifetime warranty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 307 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Night Armor Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChizzy View Post
2008 X confirmed SMOD this morning. 168k mi. Swapping radiator tonight for aftermarket duralast (lifetime warranty).
Depending on what month you got your 2008, you might just be within the extended 10 year transmission prorate warranty where you pay $3K deductible.
post #303 of 307 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_walty View Post
2007 OR. SMOD found by dealer while in for ATF flush. 87616 miles. August 2018. Quoted $7600 for new radiator and Nissan rebuilt transmission. Called Nissan but they will not help since I'm one year past warranty as service adviser had predicted. Since I have not noticed any drive-ability issues. I decided to DIY a new Koyorad A2807 and poor man flush with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Also installed a new transmission screen I got from O'Reilly's that came as a kit with the transmission pan gasket. The kit was cheaper than buying just the gasket and was in stock at the store. There was grayish sludge at the bottom of the transmission pan. the original screen didn't look bad. Still can easily see through the screen. Just a slight grayish tint. 13 qts ATF used in first flush. After about a week and ~600 miles, performed second PMF with another 13 qts. The AFT that drained from the pan and initially came out second flush was slightly cloudy compared to new. Couldn't really tell by looking at the dip stick. Plan to PMF again after ~1k miles to check AFT condition. New radiator and system was flushed with Prestone 2 in 1 Flush and Oil Degreaser and 6 fill and drains with DI water until totally clear. Needed new radiator cap. Filled with Pentofrost A2 coolant and DI water. No more Nissan products will be used if I can help it. Transmission seems to be functioning fine, fingers crossed.
Sounds like you might have saved it. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChizzy View Post
Ouch. See what @uncle_walty posted. Thats a great way to try to save it. Multiple flushes may be a pain, but $100 in ATF and a few hours time is way better than $3,000+ and 20+hrs.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #304 of 307 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Exclamation

Sept 18th QA session with Scotty Kilmer had one user ask about their 2005 Xterra. Transmission contaminated with coolant

Stay safe friends, take preventative measures.
post #305 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:22 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
Sounds like you might have saved it. Good luck!

Ouch. See what @uncle_walty posted. Thats a great way to try to save it. Multiple flushes may be a pain, but $100 in ATF and a few hours time is way better than $3,000+ and 20+hrs.
Replaced the rad. drained the tranny once, ran WAY better. drained a second time and replaced filter, cant tell how its running now because the thermostat is stuck closed. picking it up for $42 tonight... Something new breaks every week, can't bring myself to trade it in just yet.
post #306 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Night Armor Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_walty View Post
2007 OR. SMOD found by dealer while in for ATF flush. 87616 miles. August 2018. Quoted $7600 for new radiator and Nissan rebuilt transmission. Called Nissan but they will not help since I'm one year past warranty as service adviser had predicted. Since I have not noticed any drive-ability issues. I decided to DIY a new Koyorad A2807 and poor man flush with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Also installed a new transmission screen I got from O'Reilly's that came as a kit with the transmission pan gasket. The kit was cheaper than buying just the gasket and was in stock at the store. There was grayish sludge at the bottom of the transmission pan. the original screen didn't look bad. Still can easily see through the screen. Just a slight grayish tint. 13 qts ATF used in first flush. After about a week and ~600 miles, performed second PMF with another 13 qts. The AFT that drained from the pan and initially came out second flush was slightly cloudy compared to new. Couldn't really tell by looking at the dip stick. Plan to PMF again after ~1k miles to check AFT condition. New radiator and system was flushed with Prestone 2 in 1 Flush and Oil Degreaser and 6 fill and drains with DI water until totally clear. Needed new radiator cap. Filled with Pentofrost A2 coolant and DI water. No more Nissan products will be used if I can help it. Transmission seems to be functioning fine, fingers crossed.
Unfortunately, SMOD won. Started to notice transmission was not down shifting for engine braking going down hills when I applied the brakes. Otherwise appeared the transmission was working and mileage actually appeared to be couple of mpg better than before based on scan gauge reading. Then couple of days later, the X would not go into reverse when I tried to back out of the garage. No DTC codes though. Pushed the X out of the garage and X would not up shift and had to drive to mechanic at ~3500 rpm going ~30 mph. Check engine light went on during that drive but I did not check the code since I took my scan gauge off. In hind sight, I probably should have removed the valve body and inspected/cleaned it when I removed the transmission pan and strainer. To eliminate the worry that the SMOD might cause something else in the transmission to fail, I decided to have a local shop replace with a Street Smart re-manufactured transmission that I saw in an ad on this forum. $2820 for transmission and just over $1000 for shop near me to install.
post #307 of 307 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:16 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Exclamation

Beautiful 2008 Xterra at Salvage auction today. Reason: Transmission Damage
Shameful.

Might buy it, I could use a new bumper thanks to a careless RAM truck last week. Probably not but we'll see.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=29471913

edit: Somebody won it for $1,300. That's $1775ish after auction fees.

Last edited by Chunjee; 11-20-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode