All dash lights are on...Limp Mode...What do I do? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to ORXinOR
All dash lights are on...Limp Mode...What do I do?

I was passing someone near my house and dropped the hammer and then noticed that I lost all power and that every dash light was on including the SES. I first thought that the engine had died but it was still on. I found a safe place to pull over and checked it out. I was able to limp the last block to my house and just make it up my hill. I've tried starting it several times and it is still not wanting to rev above 2500 rpm. I don't have a code reader and can't limp it to an Autozone. I disconnected the battery and switched the ECM relay with the fog light relay to see if it is the IPDM. It is still not working. Any ideas???? how can I get it out of limp mode? I think it's possible that the MAP or thottle body sensor failed due to me running it at a high RPM. I have a volant. I'm going to disconnect the battery tonight and swap out air filters and see if that helps. Any info is greatly appreciated!!! I need to hit the mountains soon! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 AM
SMH
Veteran
El Ninja Hunter

Leave the battery disconnected for a while, it fixed mine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

Dirty MAF sensor?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

this happened to me two or three times so far..everytime it was maf related. i took the maf out and let it dry out. no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
This just happened to someone else here. It was a bad cat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

Without codes I would say clean/dry out the MAF first, very easy to do. Cats could also be a cause, but I second ROOK and have seen more MAF complaints, here and on CF
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll search for how to clean the MAF since I've heard that it can be a bit of a diva and try that tomorrow after I install the clean filter and reconnect the battery.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

There are two screws to remove it, then spray it down with MAF cleaner, let dry, reinstall. Of course you want to do this with the battery disconnected. Very easy. If it just got wet it should be fine after drying out, if you have an oiled filter it may be oil-fouled.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I just cleaned the MAF with the correct cleaner, installed a newly cleaned Volant filter, and reconnected the battery. Nada. If a bad cat can cause the safe mode that could be it. I checked the code without a scanner using the "flash system" and came up with 0430 which is a bad cat. I just replaced that cat when I installed headers. I thought it was just a stored code. I'm ready to take it to an exhaust shop or "gulp" stealership. Any last ideas? Thanks for the suggestions so far.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

That sux, try doing an ecu reset(how-to's) and see if it goes back to limp mode, or if it just stays in limp.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode