Water in my intake, possible xterraboat jr... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2008 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Send a message via Yahoo to Suckafish
Water in my intake, possible xterraboat jr...

Ok, so I'm stranded at a rest stop right now. Had some HEAVY rains lay down a buttload of water, poor drainage off the road, made it worse. So, I drive through a few inches of water, splashing up everywhere. After a short period of driving, when RPMs get about 2000, the truck sputtered, and reduced power, thought it was VDC, then I got a slip, VDC, and SES light come on, so I pull off and thought about about what could be happening.

I decided to open my volent air box, to discover my power core filter is soaked, and I have 3" of water in the bottom of my volant airbox. So, I soaked up water, took filter off and saw water in rubber section between air tube and airbox. Deciding to keep going, not sure if water got in engine or not, started opening everything. Now stuck on what to do.

Got my girlfriend and her son rescued.

Looking through the forum, I see ppl talking about a wobble extension to get to difficult coils/plugs, but don't have one with me. How do I het pleneum off? Removed all the bolts and nuts I can see.

Really need to get plugs out, and turn engine over to get any poss water out. Being stranded at a rest stop sucks, least I got a side arm to keep me safe. Way away from home and part stores, and advise would be great.

P.S. my RAM cover went MIA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 AM

You don't need to get your plugs out and turn it over, if you drove it at all you're not hydrolocked, your maf is just wet, take it out and let it air dry then fire the car back up and you'll be fine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecV View Post
You don't need to get your plugs out and turn it over, if you drove it at all you're not hydrolocked, your maf is just wet, take it out and let it air dry then fire the car back up and you'll be fine.
this for the win. and pick up a nice fittingand hose clamp it to that ram opening.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to crashdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
this for the win. and pick up a nice fittingand hose clamp it to that ram opening.
Posted via Mobile Device
pics are on my facebook of this
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Aight, so, let me introduce you to Suckafish the paranoid.
Fully soaked filter, which feels moist to the touch even now, (have it sitting on paper towels, and keep changing them) and here's the part that really freaked me out. - found moisture along the inner edge of the rubber hose connection to the throttle body. Very little, but it was there.

Shining a bright light down the tube section of the intake that houses the MAF, it looked bone dry, with a few dust particles spread out evenly throughout the entire tube (i found this to be a good sign) but then, on the opening of the throttle body, what looked like water had gone in, creating a flow pattern in the "dust". It was dry, but not sure if it dried from the engine warmth, or air.

Looking at what I wrote last night as I was tired and stressed out, I didn't mention that besides the truck driving like in limp mode, and with SES, VDC, and Slip lights on, when I got to rest stop, I turned off engine, then restarted it, RPMs bounced a little, then it stalled out.

Hence my paranoia.

If I button everything back up, after letting MAF sensor air dry, I'll still have a very wet filter, that I don't believe with let the engine breathe properly, and would still result in engine choking.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran
2007 Lightning Silver Xterra S 4x4 "BaseCamp" Edition

wow, that would take a lot of water puddles to go into that hole and 3 inches.

a little water is supposedly a good way to clean your engine BUT I don't profess to state it's a good thing in your condition.

I can't see it causing hydrolocking in the current state as i think it would require far more water to do so.

It may just need to be run until all the water is dried from the inside out and it may chuck a little till that happens.

If you are stuck and can't get a new filter- any one that will fit would work- maybe get a tow if you can, or wait it out longer. I'd be scared too and probably would just get the tow or a ride to the nearest place that sells k&n filters and get one that fits...

good luck bro!

OEM fog lights, Nissan Bug Deflector, Nissan Seat covers, Trident white a/c unit mod
Rear Timbrens, Flexible mudflaps, GY DuraTrac 265/75R16 C-rated, bil 5100 shocks front/rear, K&N 57-6014 FIPK, Flowmaster 40/custom y-pipe, vistapro radiator, bully dog GT
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, called shops all around, stopped giving them brand names, and just specs of filter, and u wud think all they know are lil smart cars. Quite frustrating.

Posting pix in a second.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Suckafish; 09-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran

any advance, auto zone, oreilly's, napa, etc will have something you can use in stock I am sure. May cost you $40 but at least you can drive it back home and let that other filter dry.

OEM fog lights, Nissan Bug Deflector, Nissan Seat covers, Trident white a/c unit mod
Rear Timbrens, Flexible mudflaps, GY DuraTrac 265/75R16 C-rated, bil 5100 shocks front/rear, K&N 57-6014 FIPK, Flowmaster 40/custom y-pipe, vistapro radiator, bully dog GT
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran

so you are still stuck on the road i assume? if so, give us your location and maybe some of us can help you track down a filter?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
If it were me - and we all know I'm not an expert - I'd drive it gently to the nearest town with an auto parts store without a filter. If it's wet out, the dust in the air is at a minimum. Sucking in a bit of humidity isn't going to kill it.

As stated, if you were hydrolocked, you wouldn't be able to drive it.

2006 Nissan Xterra/S MT6. It's got wheels, seats, wires, lights, metal, rubber, plastic.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode